PDA

View Full Version : How do you play AC3 on a mac os?

thunderstruck!
06-02-2006, 04:17 PM
This one's for FragTek:p:

I want to view a video that's using the AC3 sound codec, but can't seem to get the sound to work. I've downloaded the AC3 filter for a mac os. This is the readme file.

"First you need DivX 5.1 which correctly loads the AVI file into QuickTime. Once you have DivX 5.1 installed, if you are on MacOS X, drop "AC3 Codec.component" into /Library/QuickTime, or if you are on MacOS 8.x/9.x, drop "AC3 Codec" into your Extensions folder and restart. "

The problem is the directory /Library/QuickTime doesn't exist. What can I do?

So, has anyone successfully got AC3 to work on a mac os? Thanks for your help.

FragTek
06-02-2006, 04:27 PM
WTH?? You don't have that folder? If you have QuickTime installed you have to have that folder on your mac... I just checked mine and it's there for me.

Are you sure that you're checking in the correct place?

It should be under Macintosh HD>Library>QuickTime

If it's not there, I suggest that you try reinstalling QuickTime... That's about ther wierdest problem I've ever heard of. By default that folder is installed with Mac OS X.

LMK mate. Hope we can get this one sorted out for ya!

FragTek
06-02-2006, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the fast reply. QT was borked. I reinstalled, and the directory appeared, so all is well.:toast:
Glad you got it resolved! I knew it had to be something such as a bad QT install. I know that my Mac came all setup with that in it's place and everything. That was my first clue that your setup wasn't installed correctly.

Have a great time watchin' movies!