PDA

View Full Version : Do you bring your WC rig to LAN parties?

wildcard
06-02-2006, 08:36 AM
If so, how?

Do you find it awkward to lug your water-cooled rig around? I go to a LAN party about once a month and I'm thinking of jumping into watercooling but I also want to be able to haul my rig with me.

What have your experiences been? If you do, what sort of setup do you use?

mrkram
06-02-2006, 09:47 AM
well......if quakecon happens this year and i get my setup finalized before then ill let ya know :>

Hystrix^
06-02-2006, 09:55 AM
I allways take my rig with water to lanpartys

Petra
06-02-2006, 10:03 AM
Of course!! I always take watercooled rigs to LAN parties! :D

I've found it to be no more awkward and/or troublesome than dragging around air cooled computers. Depending on how you set your loop up, there really isn't anything special that you have to do when transporting them. The only problem that I tend to run into is that my main rig weighs about 60lbs.... so, yeah, carrying it any significant distance really sucks. :slap:

creidiki
06-02-2006, 10:05 AM
My usual reaction when surrounded by masses of people is homicidal rage.

Perhaps I should start going to lans, thin down the 1337 fps player population... id be doing the world a favour, likely as not :devil:

Petra
06-02-2006, 10:10 AM
My usual reaction when surrounded by masses of people is homicidal rage.
You might want to work on curbing that one a bit... I know that since I have, I've become much more popular at LANs--there's usually a lot less screaming involved, too. ;)

Radical_53
06-02-2006, 10:15 AM
Not considering the added weight, I think taking a wc'ed rig to a LAN party is even easier. The blocks themselves aren't as heavy as with air, so the possible damage due to transport is smaller I'd say.
Never had any remarkable problems when taking my rig somewhere.

PorkchopExpress
06-02-2006, 10:15 AM
I transport mine around. The only thing that is annoying, is that I have to elevate my T-line (or turn it) when the system is on it's side, or transport it standing up, because my Rad is the highest part of my loop.

It's also heavy, but I rarely go on hikes with it, so I'm ok with that.

creidiki
06-02-2006, 10:17 AM
there's usually a lot less screaming involved, too. ;)
But but but, I *like* the screaming, it helps drown out the drone of all the delta FFBs those aircooling nubs use! :D

4Qman
06-02-2006, 10:30 AM
Not to LAN parties,

But i do work away from home every week and leave every sunday and return thursdays and i take my Water cooled rig.

I spent the extra time making it all Solid as sometimes i tend to drive a bit mad and ive had the rig fly all over the shop in the back. woops :p:

wildcard
06-02-2006, 11:33 AM
So a good solid setup is important then. Do any of you find that an external radiator is vulnerable to damage when being transported? Or do you keep your rad mounted internally ?

[XC] Angstrom
06-02-2006, 11:49 AM
Now that it's all internal, I would take my rig to lan parties (too bad there aren't any around here).

I do need to find some kind of carrying strap.

MaxxxRacer
06-02-2006, 01:32 PM
I have a simpler solution... I dont lanparty...

Reinvented
06-02-2006, 01:45 PM
lol...word Brian.

Besides, it's too heavy and too much of a hastle to drag through the door, to the car, and then to set it up.

MaxxxRacer
06-02-2006, 02:18 PM
lol...word Brian.

Besides, it's too heavy and too much of a hastle to drag through the door, to the car, and then to set it up.

totally agree. and then to hang out with a bunch of (mostly) idiots playing games... I'm sure there are some great ppl who go to LANs but from what I have seen I think I will have to pass.

Reinvented
06-02-2006, 02:20 PM
totally agree. and then to hang out with a bunch of (mostly) idiots playing games... I'm sure there are some great ppl who go to LANs but from what I have seen I think I will have to pass.

...most of them still have acne, and haven't hit puberty yet either...

and i also agree with your statement, some people would be cool, but then others would be noobs...who sit there with headphones, drinking soda, and gobbling down some pizza - all for what? to bring more truth to the LAN/Geek stereotype. aye!

phelan1777
06-02-2006, 02:22 PM
Well I have never been to a LAN, and don't have a clue where there are any if any around where I live. No real desire to go to one, unless it's a Mechwarrior LAN, and I don't think those are all that popular :-P

MaxxxRacer
06-02-2006, 02:31 PM
...most of them still have acne

Hey! I still have acne.. but I was genetically cursed to have it for a good portion of my life...

THE JEW (RaVeN)
06-02-2006, 02:45 PM
Yes. Just me and my close friends LAN so there's only about 20 people. I rigged my case up from the start to be able to LAN. It's heavy, yet portable enough for me.

phelan1777
06-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Hey! I still have acne.. but I was genetically cursed to have it for a good portion of my life...

SURE you did! :p:

Petra
06-02-2006, 03:51 PM
Meh, I know how that goes....

Anyway, relatively small LAN parties (<30 people) comprised of good friends are always the best :) .

MaxxxRacer
06-02-2006, 03:54 PM
Anyway, relatively small LAN parties (<30 people) comprised of good friends are always the best :) .

A lan of just your friends is very cool. I'd like to be able to do that. but sadly most ppl I know arnt into gaming so that kind of kills that idea.

BTW, whos played Hitman: Blood Money or HL2 Episode 1?

warriorpoet
06-02-2006, 04:01 PM
Unfortunately there are no TES multiplayer games.

In other words, no, I don't care to LAN. Unless you consider playing with the wife and kids a sort of "wireless LAN"...

[XC] Angstrom
06-02-2006, 04:06 PM
A lan of just your friends is very cool. I'd like to be able to do that. but sadly most ppl I know arnt into gaming so that kind of kills that idea.

BTW, whos played Hitman: Blood Money or HL2 Episode 1?

I'm horrible, I was watching the countdown until Ep1 was out. I patched and started playing within seconds :D

It was worth it!

MaxxxRacer
06-02-2006, 04:15 PM
I'm horrible, I was watching the countdown until Ep1 was out. I patched and started playing within seconds :D

It was worth it!

LOL...

Vice
06-02-2006, 05:37 PM
My friend played it right when it came out.. he said there were those skeleton workers from last level of hl2 in there !? Schweet...

But ya, i bring my rig wherever it may take me

[XC] MarioMaster
06-02-2006, 05:46 PM
i don't take my main rig anywhere but my water loop is designed so there is a whole bunch of tubing to the heatercore so i can stick it out my window in the winter, and the pump is outside too so it's hard to grab the case, heatercore, and pump all at the same time - there aren't any good lanparties around here except the nerv center, but they have computers there anyway and i've got a laptop so it doesn't really matter.

ReD.SkY
06-02-2006, 05:52 PM
one word and reason: Bragging!

mdzcpa
06-02-2006, 06:41 PM
LOL..I've lugged my phase change rig to a LAN before. No big deal. IMO if you can't port your PC somewhere efficiently, its hardly a true PC. Sometimes I bring my laptop, or my spare PC, but usually its the best gaming rig I have that goes (not to mention that I usually bring the game server as well).

BTW, a good LAN is the only way to game. Internet gaming is for the unwashed masses to tinker around, but its not a place where the avid gamers can completely indulge. I only LAN once or twice a year with a group of good friends. There is nothing better than team based squad play in Battlefield when the teams can heckle each other out loud and enjoy great moments in the game as a group. If you are a true gamer, and you haven't LAN'd, you have no idea what you are missing. Not to mention all the great media that is shared. Movies, music, games, pics, etc. I look forward to every LAN day we have.

BTW, the ages of our group run 26 to 48. Not many pimples there :D

wildcard
06-02-2006, 07:05 PM
LOL..I've lugged my phase change rig to a LAN before. No big deal. IMO if you can't port your PC somewhere efficiently, its hardly a true PC. Sometimes I bring my laptop, or my spare PC, but usually its the best gaming rig I have that goes (not to mention that I usually bring the game server as well).

BTW, a good LAN is the only way to game. Internet gaming is for the unwashed masses to tinker around, but its not a place where the avid gamers can completely indulge. I only LAN once or twice a year with a group of good friends. There is nothing better than team based squad play in Battlefield when the teams can heckle each other out loud and enjoy great moments in the game as a group. If you are a true gamer, and you haven't LAN'd, you have no idea what you are missing. Not to mention all the great media that is shared. Movies, music, games, pics, etc. I look forward to every LAN day we have.

BTW, the ages of our group run 26 to 48. Not many pimples there :D

If you intentionally don't go to LAN parties you're either not a gamer or haven't been to a good one with *friends*. Everytime I go it's a blast and it's not as pimply as you think... unless you count my pimped out rig... LOL not!

Seriously though, a good LAN party with your friends is way better than gaming at home, alone, with people you dont know over the internet.

However, if you dont game... this thread (and my original question) wasn't for you.

creidiki
06-03-2006, 12:00 AM
I think it all depends ont he games you play.

f.ex, i got bored of 1st person shooters about 8 years ago, and rts about 6. the only game i play online these days is EVE...

Nanometer
06-03-2006, 12:27 AM
My computer was heavy before water cooling. Having a CM stacker makes things hard to transport. Now that I have water, the wheels will become more handy. It is a :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: to carry around, but there's no way this computer is missing the fun :-p.

phelan1777
06-03-2006, 07:24 AM
I think it all depends ont he games you play.

f.ex, i got bored of 1st person shooters about 8 years ago, and rts about 6. the only game i play online these days is EVE...

Is Eve pay to play online?

creidiki
06-03-2006, 07:41 AM
Jah, 15€ pm i think.

I dont remember, i pay a year at a time these days.

Thrilla
06-03-2006, 08:18 AM
How do u ppls carry the rig, say the LAN is within walking distance?

JoeBar
06-03-2006, 08:55 AM
Moving my whole rig just to play with some geeks...? :nono:

phelan1777
06-03-2006, 10:41 AM
How do u ppls carry the rig, say the LAN is within walking distance?

Strap it to the back of some nOOb and threaten to take is HIS PC if he drops yours:cord:

OV3RCLOCK3R
06-03-2006, 05:44 PM
Strap it to the back of some nOOb and threaten to take is HIS PC if he drops yours:cord:

lmao!:D

Bloody_Sorcerer
06-03-2006, 06:31 PM
of course i bring mine... the top-mounted iwaki makes a lovely handle :)
overlooking the fact that it weighs as much as my monitor (17" trinitron CRT - the heavy [thus good] kind) and is just as awkward to carry, it's well worth it. definitely draws looks from friends, even if it is just a look of horror at the hideousness (i think its lovely but it got bashed to pieces when i posted pics here) and then in awe at the rest. then again, i don't go to many lanparties so...
either way, my system is definitely (now) entirely transit-safe and i'd almost trust it with airline personell... well not quite.

Sneaky
06-03-2006, 08:56 PM
move my whole rig to LAN's - its usually the only case to roll in on wheels... and also the only case to be a damned 18x18x18" cube :eek:

[XC] Angstrom
06-04-2006, 07:32 AM
Does anyone use case straps with handles? I need something for my giant lian-li. If they even exist.

Kinda wish I had a cube actually :rolleyes:

Deathknight
06-04-2006, 08:00 AM

Heh a buddy of mine came to a lanparty at my house a couple of years ago and his girl friend was carrying his rig out for him (a SFF one so not real big and heavy). She slipped on some ice in the street and dropped it. DOH! Needless to say nobody carries my machine but me...

g.l.amour
06-04-2006, 08:02 AM
i don't like taking my rig anywhere. on a lanparty my custom paint job got chipped. the case is quite heavy (dual HC setup); and i fear that moving it around might make snug fittings come loose.

cirthix
06-04-2006, 08:38 AM
yes, I took over the entire kitchen and needed my own line from the circuitbreaker

:D

Seufari
06-04-2006, 08:46 AM
I just lugged my whole rig home, and moved it around the house to 3 different rooms. I would have no qualms about taking it to my first LAN...

wildcard
06-04-2006, 10:54 AM
move my whole rig to LAN's - its usually the only case to roll in on wheels... and also the only case to be a damned 18x18x18" cube :eek:

And a forklift to get it on/off the flatbed truck ? :D

Sneaky
06-04-2006, 11:16 AM
And a forklift to get it on/off the flatbed truck ? :D
nah, even though i'm a pretty small guy muscle-wise, I can still lift the case and whatnot - I usually have to carry it up 2 flights of stairs to get to the LAN floor too... so *shrug*

[XC] Angstrom
06-04-2006, 11:40 AM
My Lian Li tower with a PA120.3 inside is actually very light, just need to get my arms around it :D

TCounceller
06-04-2006, 12:01 PM
Does anyone use case straps with handles? I need something for my giant lian-li. If they even exist.

Kinda wish I had a cube actually :rolleyes:
http://www.xoxide.com/ca.html

The Tower-version should fit. I've just ordered a PC-G70, and provided I can get my entire system built in the next month or so I'll probably head to QuakeCon. [If they EVER release the date o_o]

It's around 60mm longer than the reccomended size, but should work nonetheless.. I'll buy one and let you know.
-T

[XC] Angstrom
06-04-2006, 12:07 PM
My case is 575mm tall, 210mm thick and 600mm long. Site says 520 x 205 x 570mm

No go :(

wildcard
06-04-2006, 02:33 PM
Actually, I guess if I can manage to lug 2x Sun 21" monitors to each LAN party (and use 1 or two based on available real-estate) - and those things are HUGE and HEAVY, I guess, my computer won't be any worse.

[XC] Angstrom
06-04-2006, 06:25 PM
I'm just south of you wildcard, you aint bringing that setup near my power circuit :p

FragTek
06-04-2006, 06:31 PM
i used to take my loaded pc-75b to lanparties... talk about a major hump with that humdinger, it had to have been 100 pounds with all of the crap I had in it.

After getting that in, I had the pleasure of trying to get my 30" dell flatscreen in, now that's a chore! trying to navigate through doorways without hitting anything can be a bit tricky.

JasonDTM
06-04-2006, 07:24 PM
Yeah I take my heavy computer to lans... yes its a chore... Even more of a chore when the building gets set on fire( Or so your party thinks) and have to clear out everything in 5 minutes... Happened last night (No joke) and it sucked. :(

Reinvented
06-04-2006, 07:40 PM
Yeah I take my heavy computer to lans... yes its a chore... Even more of a chore when the building gets set on fire( Or so your party thinks) and have to clear out everything in 5 minutes... Happened last night (No joke) and it sucked. :(

So, who gave the instruction to clear out everything in 5 mins? I would just gtfo. lol Any stragglers? Leave them behind. :banana:

Drunner611
06-05-2006, 03:22 PM
So, who gave the instruction to clear out everything in 5 mins? I would just gtfo. lol Any stragglers? Leave them behind. :banana:
And leave your precious rig behind, I think not.

Bloody_Sorcerer
06-05-2006, 05:02 PM
if i survived but my rig did not... what would the point of my existence be? would you leave your baby in a burning building? who cares if said baby is 75 pounds...

phelan1777
06-05-2006, 05:18 PM
if i survived but my rig did not... what would the point of my existence be? would you leave your baby in a burning building? who cares if said baby is 75 pounds...

hey some guys would love for their baby to be 75 pounds!