PDA

View Full Version : the copper pipping

DR. YT
02-22-2003, 06:14 AM
i see this alot lately and have two questions.

1:dose it help in cooling?

2:I always see it without hose clamps how do you make sure thats its sealed tight?

Craig
02-22-2003, 06:31 PM
Yes it helps temps. By use of CU for changes in direction and bending soft Cu tubes to the angle needed and no more you save on head loss. And Cu is much thiner walled than the more often seen nylon or plastic. A 90 elbow(s) in plastic destroys flow very fast. A Cu 90 elbow has only half the resistence, and if you used 2 45 degree fittings you reduce the head loss to 1/3 of the plastic 90. A 3-4" pipe bent into a gentle sweeping curve now gives 1/4 the head loss of that plastic 90. And a pumps fittings are another place to save head loss, if you use copper threaded fittings instead of threading in barbs.

It doesn't take to many spots where gains like that are made in a system to make a beleiver out of most who try the copper tube fittings. Just think about how many curves and angles there are in your system.

Those not useing clamps with Cu should, that simple. Much easier for the hose to slip off a Cu fitting than a barbed fitting. Worth the peace of mind if nothing else.

For more info on this I'd suggest. www.procooling.com check the article on maximum fow rates by pHaestus, a very fine article indeed.

DR. YT
02-22-2003, 08:34 PM