PDA

View Full Version : Best RTS?

no_Wedge
05-31-2006, 10:32 AM
what is the best real time strategy out right now for online play? I was thinking of getting Rome Total War, but is it good online play as compared to games like starcraft?

Revv23
05-31-2006, 10:50 AM
warcraft3 frozen throne imo

Turok
05-31-2006, 10:54 AM
Probably the best games today are RTW with some expansions or AoE3 with the expansion thats comming up.
Another good game that is a bit new is Rise of Legends. I didnt like the demo enough to buy the game.
RTW, AoE3, and RoL all have a demo you can download online. Try each game before buying.
BTW, when you play AoE3, there is a huge difference in graphics between SM2 and SM3. If you have a SM2 card, then you may be a bit disapointed by the graphics, because it looks kinda like AoE2 in 3D.

For other good RTS games you would have to look back to Warcraft 3, Command & Conquer Generals or other C&C games.

I wouldnt buy a RTS game atm if I were you, unless you're a big fan of RTS games and you really want to play one now.
Im waiting for Medieval II: Total war, Comand and Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars, and Supreme Commander to start play RTS games again.
The closest of these games is Medieval 2: Total War, which releases in November 2006.

Right now Im saving my money for games like: Prey, ET:QW, and UT2k7 on Q4.

wildcard
06-02-2006, 06:36 AM
AOE3 has my vote. it's good both single and multiplayer. Warcraft 3 is also pretty good too.

I was thinking of trying the LOTR2: Battle for Middle Earth, has anyone tried it?

Revv23
06-02-2006, 05:34 PM
Nope, look up E3 coverage, the next C&C series looks to be nothing less then amazing.

g.l.amour
06-04-2006, 12:08 PM
i've never had as much fun with any game as i had with c&c generals

wildcard
06-04-2006, 01:03 PM
Ya C&C Generals is awesome, but he was interested in online play, do you find it easy to find multiplayer games online?

Hicks
06-04-2006, 01:25 PM
For online? Id say Warhammer 40k Dawn Of War, and the Expansion.

g.l.amour
06-04-2006, 01:52 PM
C&c generals used to have alot of online playing, last time i checked was half a year ago though

Viper_0000
06-19-2006, 10:33 PM
Starcraft & Starcraft Broodwar. I still enjoy this game to this day, it was released in 1998 :p:

PS: Command & Conquer 3, Warhammer: Mark Of Chaos - They're coming out really soon, both will be awsome for multiplayer.

Right now Im saving my money for games like: Prey, ET:QW, and UT2k7 on Q4.

Epic Games has officially anounced that Unreal Tournament 2007 won't be released until at least 2007 Spring.

Hicks
06-20-2006, 08:54 AM
PS: Command & Conquer 3, Warhammer: Mark Of Chaos - They're coming out really soon, both will be awsome for multiplayer.

C&C 3 isn't out till 2007.

Torin
06-20-2006, 09:27 AM
Brood Wars, still the best IMO.

aMp
06-20-2006, 10:56 AM
RTW with the Europa Barbarorum mod is the best RTS I've ever played, probably one of my top five for any genre. It's kind of a love-it-or-hate-it thing, though, because it's incredibly detailed and therefore complicated. You can't just dive in.

But how can you beat this:

http://img281.imageshack.us/img281/2372/ptbattle175zi.jpg

http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/story/LudensCasse6.jpg

Having an interest in the historical period helps, as well....

aMp
06-20-2006, 12:11 PM
Oh, and to actually answer your original question....

RTW multiplayer is OK but nothing along the lines of SC or WC3. Single-player really is the heart of the game.

snowwie
06-20-2006, 10:45 PM
red alert

then again I think that was the last RTS I ever played
nah, I played warcraft 2...liked red alert better though

Silver Bullet
06-26-2006, 09:43 AM
AOE3 has my vote. it's good both single and multiplayer. Warcraft 3 is also pretty good too.

AOE3 great game, same with WC3. Really looking forward to Supreme Commander (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/supremecommander/news.html?sid=6153124):D

THX1138
07-03-2006, 01:15 AM
Warcraft 3 plus the expansion pack
Command and Conquer series
I tried the Total War games but I never cared that much for them.
Age of Empires 3 looks really good.

GMX
07-03-2006, 02:20 AM
I use to play war3 from release of ROC, and to about version 1.15 of TFT. How are newer patches? large decline in players?

Scimitar
07-07-2006, 02:52 PM
Rise of Nations! A classic game loved by many with a massive online following. Still has a big one, surprising for an older game. That's because it is the best. No fancy schmancy graphics that add nothing to the gameplay. I've probably played over a thousand games of it. Works great on older systems too.

lross78550
07-07-2006, 03:54 PM
i dont know if any of you are old enough to remember an old game called
spaceward ho, but it was the first rts i remember playing theres a game out right now thats alot like it called
galactic civilizations II
and im really enjoying it
Lee

DPGX
07-07-2006, 10:19 PM
I love'd WC3 but I played it to death. T.A. was also a classic imo just because the scale of the wars was amazing, and unit variety was extreme. Im looking foward to Supreme Commander as well however. I did pick up Rise and Fall of Civ. At War and I have to say its actually a pretty entertaining game. The 3rd person control of your hero really adds another element to the game that I havent experienced before, and although overpowering at times its pretty cool to be able to do this. Naval battles are pretty cool as well. I wouldnt go as far as saying its the best rts out, but its alot of fun. I just dislike that it uses starforce because Im paranoid its going to damage my optical drive after some of the things ive read around the web.

ShiningArcanine
07-08-2006, 01:48 PM
I think that Age of Empires III is a great RTS.

osiris999
07-08-2006, 04:05 PM
srarcraft and yuri

aintz
07-10-2006, 03:08 PM
AOE2 but now they removed the online part so its bad. so AOE3.

dum
07-10-2006, 04:34 PM
I love'd WC3 but I played it to death. T.A. was also a classic imo just because the scale of the wars was amazing, and unit variety was extreme. Im looking foward to Supreme Commander as well however. I did pick up Rise and Fall of Civ. At War and I have to say its actually a pretty entertaining game. The 3rd person control of your hero really adds another element to the game that I havent experienced before, and although overpowering at times its pretty cool to be able to do this. Naval battles are pretty cool as well. I wouldnt go as far as saying its the best rts out, but its alot of fun. I just dislike that it uses starforce because Im paranoid its going to damage my optical drive after some of the things ive read around the web.

Supreme Commander or should we say total annilhation 2, already preordered, total war medevil 2 should be also, I know no one plays it but Sudden Strike 2 is good

SunTzu69
07-11-2006, 05:33 AM
Rise of Nations! A classic game loved by many with a massive online following. Still has a big one, surprising for an older game. That's because it is the best. No fancy schmancy graphics that add nothing to the gameplay. I've probably played over a thousand games of it. Works great on older systems too.

I love Rise of Nations too. In my personal opinion it should have gotten more attention and a broader community. Not sure why it never became the most popular RTS of its time.

It's an awesome game.

Scimitar - How do you access the multiplayer games? Gamespy seems mostly dead for me..

aintz
07-11-2006, 07:34 AM
rise of nations with nuke disabled so people dont spam them is a good game