PDA

View Full Version : Well posted here coes ints the coldest LN2!

Malecky
06-12-2002, 08:00 AM
i, I have a few LN2 questions before I start my OC cool jurney:D

Is isolation needed of any sort that is, when playing with N2?

Will a modified V7+ heat sink with high Cu walls be good for cooling the CPU?

Gonna do the GFX Sampsa style so everything will be N2 cooled, just dont have the GFX card yet:(

I hit 1950mhz with 2.1V and Ambient H2O cooling will it be posible to knock 2100mhz out of my 1600+? :)

OPPAINTER
06-12-2002, 08:33 AM
Malecky gunna do some LN, thats cool:D
Post the results here, it would be a great read.
Can't help with the stuff myself, never had the pleasure:D
Maybe Macci would help you out.

OPP

Malecky
06-12-2002, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by OPPAINTER
Malecky gunna do some LN, thats cool:D
Post the results here, it would be a great read.
Can't help with the stuff myself, never had the pleasure:D
Maybe Macci would help you out.

OPP

Jup, LN2 well its the fastest way to get close to you guys:)

I dont have a P4 system so no go @first place, if I borrow a GF4 from a dealer here will the LN2 funn leave any marks? :)

And what do you use for thermal grease I know AS is not good.

Updtate on the Q:)

JCviggen
06-12-2002, 09:47 AM
Guys,

I also have the chance to play with some LN2.
I have everything I need, aside from one thing, and thats the copper container for the CPU :(
I havent found anything suitable yet and whenever I find someone who can get the copper and solder it together they dissapear on me...
Also, I would need to make sure to freeze a chip with a high enough multiplier. My TH7-II wont do more than 192-193 FSB, and I am already at 188 with phase change, so it'd be kinda silly to use a chip with such a low multiplier for benching. I still got the 2.4 ES lying around tho, I could use that.
Just need to find the equipment now :( the juice is no problem.

You dont need to insulate too much since its kinda pointless at such low temps, but I would use some kind of plastic or foam or whatever on your mainboard to protect it a little bit

fredperry
06-12-2002, 11:26 AM
Have you asked SuSEQ's oncle? He's supposed to be able to work with copper.
Or DaBit?

I'll ask poloke, he can solder copper, that I know, but if he can make a copper container??

PS. congrats on your mod status!

JCviggen
06-12-2002, 11:34 AM
yeah good idea I'll ask some more peeps... -180°C does have a certain appeal to me :D

Malecky
06-12-2002, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by JCviggen
yeah good idea I'll ask some more peeps... -180°C does have a certain appeal to me :D

Buy a nice Cu HS and solder the walls. I will be buying a Volcano 7+ with nice copper fins gonna look shaggy:)

JCviggen
06-12-2002, 02:09 PM
malecky,

I got one of those 7+ lying around and I had that very idea!

Nice smooth surface too... but I dont think you can keep the original mounting system..

Malecky
06-12-2002, 02:30 PM
malecky,

I got one of those 7+ lying around and I had that very idea!

Nice smooth surface too... but I dont think you can keep the original mounting system..

If the walls are thick enough and that makes the canister heavy I think there is no need for mounting, you can just place in on and it will sqeeze the pads by itself, maybe secure it with something but its not like your gonna bench for days with that stuff in your room.

JCviggen
06-12-2002, 02:34 PM
I'd be freezing a P4 with no pads ;)

I think the weight would be sufficient ...

Malecky
06-12-2002, 02:38 PM
I'd be freezing a P4 with no pads ;)

I think the weight would be sufficient ...

Sure would, le me know how it goes you have more HW to flame I must not brake one single thingie or else:(

JCviggen
06-12-2002, 02:39 PM
its all about looking innocent and computer-illiterate when you return broken things to the store :D

Malecky
06-12-2002, 02:42 PM
its all about looking innocent and computer-illiterate when you return broken things to the store :D

I am my own store and I still cant return stuff, returning a Vmoded 700$ GF4 would be a pain in the ass.

Malecky
06-13-2002, 09:00 AM
Hrm... no more advice.....

Well gotta link this thread in to Sampsas lap:D :D :D :D

calantak
06-13-2002, 10:32 AM
Guys,
I also have the chance to play with some LN2.

JC, just don't forget to let me know at least one week in advance whenever you're planning to try out, cuz' they deliver the LN2 to me only on thursdays, and I'm not free every weekend, kay?

Amount : I bring about 700 liters in gaseous form, @ -196°!! not -180° , drool on boys :) , in liquid state that's about 30 liters, that should get us plummeting 3.5 gig!

Malecky
06-13-2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by calantak

JC, just don't forget to let me know at least one week in advance whenever you're planning to try out, cuz' they deliver the LN2 to me only on thursdays, and I'm not free every weekend, kay?

Amount : I bring about 700 liters in gaseous form, @ -196°!! not -180° , drool on boys :) , in liquid state that's about 30 liters, that should get us plummeting 3.5 gig!

Thats just about enogh to get me to 2100mhz and then my L2 dissapears and so on:rolleyes: :D :D :D

calantak
06-13-2002, 10:46 AM
it's not gone that fast, man!, it boils and foams and brubbels, and I kill evil viral warts with it, when I'm not overclocking ;)

Malecky
06-13-2002, 11:29 AM
Just one more thing: a frnd of mine claculated the u know streching of the materials and the velld would have to be preety thick to be sure tthat the LN2 bowl might not crack when at -180°C and fall apart:)

I am gonna cut the fins of the V7+ to a round shape and veld a big Cu tube on t it, that will have just one velld..

RichBa5tard
06-13-2002, 04:31 PM
JC, how thick do the walls need to be on this canister? I can pr0lly make you one, but it would only be 0.5mm thick copper... don't know whether that's enough.

JCviggen
06-14-2002, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by RichBa5tard
JC, how thick do the walls need to be on this canister? I can pr0lly make you one, but it would only be 0.5mm thick copper... don't know whether that's enough.

I think that'd be fine m8, but because of the whole thing "shrinking" it needs to be soldered pretty well I think?
You get back to me on that on evo-6@freegates.be

cheers!

RichBa5tard
06-14-2002, 01:03 AM
Using LN is never free of risks. ;)

Mailed you for details. :)

fredperry
06-14-2002, 01:37 AM
just got word from poloke, he's willing to do it, when he's got the time, but you'll probably get it faster with RB...

calantak
06-14-2002, 02:39 AM
so then we should have everything in a few weeks?

JCviggen
06-14-2002, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by calantak
so then we should have everything in a few weeks?

we should yea
now I need a working mobo again

Malecky
06-14-2002, 04:11 AM
Extremesystems LN Freak Team:D :D :D :D

JCviggen
06-14-2002, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by Malecky
Extremesystems LN Freak Team:D :D :D :D

now there's an idea :D

Malecky
06-14-2002, 05:22 AM
It would be a first huh? :D :cool:

macci
06-16-2002, 01:36 AM
Malecky,
If and when you are going to supacool an XP CPU I suggest you forget the LN2 and buy some dryice + ethanol :)

its a proven fact that XP CPUs can't stand LN2 temps. Sampsa killed one xp2000 when he cooled it down w/ LN2 (that chip wouldn't even post when ln2cooled). And I know that this has happend more than once..
And even if it will POST it may not OC any better than w/ dryice cooling. The chip just can't handle those extreme temps. POS AMDs LOL (oh and I'm not going to even mention the little L2 problemo..oops I just did that :D)
The Good Old ceramic Athlon THunderbirds chips were different though. Those chips just loved LN2 :D

So in case you dont want to risk your chip use dryice. But if you like challenges go ahead and get some real LN2. It may work (might work better if you pour it little by little so that the container doesn't quite reach -190ish).

anyways good luck bro :)

Malecky
06-16-2002, 01:40 AM
OK, thx macci, I didnt know that:D

I will ty it with a Duron 600 and then measure how low the temps go... I Can make a different canister that the temp doest come that low.

Let see if I can make 1500mhz with a D600

:D

macci
06-19-2002, 10:39 AM
Hay in case you are intrested in ln2 cooling you might want to check out this little post I just wrote over at vr-zone forums:
http://www.vr-zone.com/cgi-bin/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=38146#post38146

OPPAINTER
06-19-2002, 10:45 AM
Thats great stuff Macci:)

You mind if I post the link in a new thread also??

OPP

N8
06-19-2002, 10:56 AM
very neat, macci. interesting read :)

-Rogue5-
06-30-2002, 09:10 AM
Everytime I have done LN cooling, no marks were left over. If your just going to LN cool the CPU, there shouldnt be much of a problem...just dont use your main rig. The motherboard can get pretty messed up (cause the water vapour in the air around the LN capsule freezes, and then lands on the area of mobo around the around the CPU).

I am surprised people are losing chips...I have only LN cooled a Palomino once ( and a tbird twice before that....and the original celeron experiments before the tbird) but the one time I LN cooled a palomino it went as planned......of coarse I didnt do it half a dozen times, and I had a substantial amount of past experience, but I think it would have been more of a mounting problem then actual cooling problem with those people who busted their :banana::banana::banana::banana:.

-Rogue5-

p.s. Even though there were no marks, I still wouldnt use someone elses hardware, unless you can afford to replace it.

PiLsY
08-02-2002, 11:51 AM
Regarding the shrinking issue of the container. You dont need to solder it at all. The tube will shrink more than the base so all you need to do is heat the tube in the oven, chill the base with a little LN2 and youll get a pretty tight fit push fitting the base in. Let the LN2 shrink fit it in place. Instant seal - any small gaps will be frozen shut so no leaking. Pre cool the container using a small amount of LN2 while its off the cpu then put it on top and fill her up.

This is the method they use for fitting train wheels btw.

If you make the base about 0.5 - 0.7mm bigger than the tube diameter at ambient temp then the cooling / heating should take care of the rest.

PiLsY.