PDA

View Full Version : DVD Goes High-Def

Thegreenman
05-30-2006, 12:49 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20060530/tc_pcworld/125769;_ylt=AusesasPXhHrMz5IraDf7TaSxLEF;_ylu=X3oD MTBjMHVqMTQ4BHNlYwN5bnN1YmNhdA--

So let war begin, as always it will the the consumer that will loose out in this war, as in was in the video machine war, shame on them.

After much bluster and several false starts, high-definition DVD products for home and PC have arrived--but in two incompatible formats, Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD. That means buyers will have to carefully weigh their options as we wait to see which--if either--technology will inherit DVD's crown.
For the companies involved in developing the technologies, the stakes are high: In play is a lucrative pool of licensing fees, not to mention bragging rights for dominating the living room. Proponents in each camp are quick to point out the advantages of their format over the other, but in reality, the specs are more alike than not. (See our chart for a rundown of the differences between HD DVD and Blu-ray, as well as a list of released and upcoming products for each format.)

The most significant difference between the two is the number of high-definition Hollywood movies that should become available for each format. Blu-ray Disc has the support of six major studios--all of the majors except for Universal, which is one of three studios backing HD DVD (the other two, Paramount and Warner Brothers, are supporting both formats).

maverik-sg1
05-30-2006, 01:19 AM
I say boycott them both - or everyone to agree to buy the HD-DVD, because it lacks DRM.

Anything that supports the freedom to chose is the right way to go - DRM is an awful intrusion one one's privacy rights - I hear the big guns shouting pirated this and pirated that - you only have to look at the profit these studios make to see that the only thing compelling them to make such statements is greed and power.

I feel sure that Blue Ray has the technological advantage - but overall HD-DVD is more like the product consumer want (ie - No DRM). Ultimately price will dictate the winner IMHO.

irev210
05-30-2006, 02:28 AM
both formats have their own DRM scheme.

Serra
05-30-2006, 02:33 PM
We've already been selling HD-DVD players here in Canada for awhile... no sign of Blu-Ray yet. Based on that I'd say Blu-Ray has a bit of a challenge... but the titles we sell for HD-DVD generally suck, as do many of the up-coming HD-DVD titles.

Serra