PDA

View Full Version : Alternative for Gigabyte I-RAM ????

yotomeczek
05-27-2006, 08:46 AM
What is alternative ??
I need 8-16GB version of I-RAM :D

Alec
05-27-2006, 08:53 AM
What is alternative ??
I need 8-16GB version of I-RAM :D

Buy two and run them in raid0 :rehab:

That will get ya 8gigs of uber fast accessible data :D

bachus_anonym
05-27-2006, 09:13 AM

That will get ya 8gigs of uber fast accessible data :Dhttp://www.oc.com.tw/article/0509/imgs/i-RAM-test-050930-04.jpg

:D :toast:

Alec
05-27-2006, 11:55 AM
OMG they are huge! :D

Never expected them to be that big - look like raw power! :woot:

Thanks for sharing piccies of them - the first time Ive ever seen 'em in a real world situation.

//Note to self - buy I-RAM ;)

Chears again,
Alec

[XC] MarioMaster
05-27-2006, 12:07 PM
wonder how fast windows would boot from that setup :drool:

yotomeczek
05-27-2006, 12:51 PM

That will get ya 8gigs of uber fast accessible data :D

But they are some other product isn't it

keiths
05-27-2006, 01:23 PM
Do the cheap high density 1GB DIMMs work with it?

Pisu87
05-27-2006, 01:33 PM
What is the I-RAM?

Alec
05-27-2006, 01:44 PM
What is the I-RAM?

Basically RAM which acts as a hard drive.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Others/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2076&ProductName=GC-RAMDISK%20(Rev%201.1)

Very fast data access because there is no lag for moving components (eg read/write heads and platters).

SMa
05-27-2006, 02:11 PM
But you can only place 4gb on such a thing?

J-Mag
05-27-2006, 02:37 PM
Any word on the I-Ram2? I would love to see that come to fruition, as it is supposedly DDR2 based capable of 8gb and it fits within a 5.25 bay.

I WANT!

Nanometer
05-27-2006, 02:51 PM
Not worth it. If they were so great you would see people flocking to get I-RAM. It is not as reliable as a hard drive, it is a ton less space and you have to depend on a battery or you lose all your data. And considering RAM makes a lot more mistakes/errors than a hard drive, you lose your data integrity. Is it fast? You bet it is, but you should decide if all of that is worth it. I'm sure it would be fun to experiment with a 4 disk array in RAID 0. But I'll leave that to somebody who values their data even less than I do.

keiths
05-27-2006, 03:06 PM
Specious reasoning on your greatness meter. Wrong on reliability; mechanical vs solid state. It takes eight hours of being unplugged to powerdown. Quick! Pull the memory out of your system if you value your data! Sinking in how silly your premise is? Not worth it(to you).

bachus_anonym
05-27-2006, 03:09 PM
Any word on the I-Ram2? I would love to see that come to fruition, as it is supposedly DDR2 based capable of 8gb and it fits within a 5.25 bay.Supposedly, it should be showcased next month, during Computex 2006 in Taiwan. But it's still going to be 4 slots and you know how much 8GB Registered DDR2 is gonna cost? :shocked: Running two DDR I-RAM in RAID with 4GB each is still going to be a lot cheaper than one I-RAM2 with 8GB DDR2. At least, until prices drop even more... But then again, I-RAM2 might support SATA2...

Serra
05-27-2006, 03:12 PM
Not worth it. If they were so great you would see people flocking to get I-RAM. It is not as reliable as a hard drive, it is a ton less space and you have to depend on a battery or you lose all your data. And considering RAM makes a lot more mistakes/errors than a hard drive, you lose your data integrity. Is it fast? You bet it is, but you should decide if all of that is worth it. I'm sure it would be fun to experiment with a 4 disk array in RAID 0. But I'll leave that to somebody who values their data even less than I do.

What on earth are you talking about? You talk about RAM as though it's an awful product... it's notably faster than a hard drive and makes far FEWER errors being that data is held in place by electrical charge rather than magnetic polarization. And yes, it does use a battery... with a 10 hour life! The I-RAM is for people whose computers aren't off or aren't off for long, and a 10-hour battery is more than sufficient. From there, it's not like this is some stupid lead battery that goes dead randomly or has charge issues, it's a high-quality Lithium battery that will last longer than the PCI bus the I-RAM was made for.

The only reason I don't have one is that on a cost basis, by the time you're getting a full 4-GB I-RAM, you're not *that* far from using SCSI... which I would personally much prefer.

Serra

HiJon89
05-27-2006, 05:00 PM
Some people don't seem to understand how the battery on the I-RAM works, so let me make it clear: There is a battery on the I-RAM which will ensure that no data is lost if power is lost. This battery is only activated when the system is entirely without power, ie. if the cord is pulled out of the PSU or there is a power outtage in your neighborhood. As long as the power cord is in the PSU your data is safe for as long as you want, even with the computer powered down.

vapb400
05-27-2006, 06:12 PM
Supposedly, it should be showcased next month, during Computex 2006 in Taiwan. But it's still going to be 4 slots and you know how much 8GB Registered DDR2 is gonna cost? :shocked: Running two DDR I-RAM in RAID with 4GB each is still going to be a lot cheaper than one I-RAM2 with 8GB DDR2. At least, until prices drop even more... But then again, I-RAM2 might support SATA2...
Who said it needs registered ram?

bachus_anonym
05-27-2006, 06:57 PM
Who said it needs registered ram?What I meant was that in order to get 8GB from 4 DIMM slots, you need 2GB modules. As far as remember, majority (if not all) 2GB DIMMs are ECC Registered, regardless If they are DDR or DDR2. Registered RAM is expensive, especially in 2GB modules.

EDIT: In fact, there are ECC Unregistered 2GB DIMMs but they are certainly NOT cheap :)
EDIT2: I just dug out that I-RAM2 is supposed to have 8 DIMM slots and support up to 16GB DDR2... So I-RAM2 w/8GB may not be all THAT expensive, but still ~$1,000...

Pisu87
05-28-2006, 12:17 AM
Yesterday I read I-RAM's AnandTech's review (http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2480). In many environments it just pwnz a 74 GB Raptor though the whole thing with RAM included costs some serious money to be a 4 GB device.

kyleslater
05-28-2006, 05:40 PM
Specious reasoning on your greatness meter. Wrong on reliability; mechanical vs solid state. It takes eight hours of being unplugged to powerdown. Quick! Pull the memory out of your system if you value your data! Sinking in how silly your premise is? Not worth it(to you).
Sometimes I don't use my computer for several days. And I would like to see 8 GB at least. and no I can't afford 2 of them and the ram. two raptors is expensive enough for me.

keiths
05-28-2006, 08:04 PM
Sometimes I don't use my computer for several days. And I would like to see 8 GB at least. and no I can't afford 2 of them and the ram. two raptors is expensive enough for me.

Which, in your opinion, would make it not worth it to you. This isn't an attempt at a rebuttle is it? BTW, all three of your contentions have an answer; backup to disk, get two of them, get more income/save more. Waiting for the next i-ram won't help either as it will only address capacity. It will likely be more expensive and batteries will always run out of juice.

[XC] MarioMaster
05-28-2006, 08:09 PM
plus let's see, 4 gigs, both half life 2 and ut2004 are over 5 gigs. forget it for gaming and i don't think i'd want windows on one of those

NickS
05-29-2006, 07:45 AM
plus let's see, 4 gigs, both half life 2 and ut2004 are over 5 gigs. forget it for gaming and i don't think i'd want windows on one of those

Of course not. The most practical idea wld be to shove your page file onto it. Uber fast. :banana:

Nick

crackhead2k
05-31-2006, 08:40 AM
if you have a server board adn many gigs of ram you can use ramdisk and dont need to fill you slots.. you cna 500 mbps from it.. you will have to purchase software for it... it think there is a trial... Try this if your serverboard has spaces for additional ram so you dont need additional hardware adding to cost and you can always adjust size...

yotomeczek
05-31-2006, 08:59 AM
if you have a server board adn many gigs of ram you can use ramdisk and dont need to fill you slots.. you cna 500 mbps from it.. you will have to purchase software for it... it think there is a trial... Try this if your serverboard has spaces for additional ram so you dont need additional hardware adding to cost and you can always adjust size...

I don't have server board ... as a matter of fact I'm changing my eing from Dothan to ... Conroe (hope to buy soon some ES)
I wonder how fast can be game level load from I-Ram in Raid 0 (game and sys instaled on I-Ram) ... so 4GB isn't enough

crackhead2k
05-31-2006, 09:18 AM
iram wouldnt load much faster than a raptor @ raid 0.
I have a riad and have loaded from solid stage storage devices.
If you want to spend money on high performance storage a raptor would suite your needs... if you like to super pi you can create a small size drive useing ramdik and use that to store that app adn then run it...
im sure 300gb from 2 raptor 150 at raid 0 will give you more perfroamnce than you think.
Consider:
1. money
2. performance, are you going for WR
3. performance / price
4. storage / price
5. the noticable difference and no need to wry about hd gettting full

I recommend you try the raptor because it is the fastest hd for sata drive no problem.... if you want faster go with a scsi 15k drive from maxtor they are expensive and they require additional hardware.. they are more designed for high performance transfers in server environment and workstations.

You can find the reviews for these storage devices at
storagereview
search on google :)

I hope this will help you in making a choice for storage that will satisfy you need for performance.

kiwi
08-21-2006, 06:25 AM
My UT2004 is 11GB now, 5GB maps

And this is the only game I play, so 4GB is way too little for someone who plays more games

IRam is good for XP + pagefile + some appz + Interent caching for me :)

Vista will require 8GB or maybe more