PDA

View Full Version : issues with 2GB HZ settings

gbaltzer
05-25-2006, 02:57 PM
I've been trying for a while now to get an overclock I like without much luck. Anyways, I spent a day tweaking this RAM on my DFI Lanparty Ultra-D board and was working toward 270 FSB to get 2.7 on my 3700+ San Diego (it's not a good clocker). So after a while, I finally got the memory mostly stable. Overnight, memtest generated 1 error. But I still wanted to get it right.

So today I decided to tweak further and I reloaded my CMOS to what it was at that time. I was getting way more errors than before, so I ran memtest with the original reloaded CMOS. Now I get anywhere from 20 to 200 errors in the first 5% of test #8. No matter what I do, I cannot get 270 to work. If I hadn't been so close to stable settings before, I wouldn't be upset because you can't always expect that kind of OC. But I'm stumped as to how it all just changed like this with the same settings. Any ideas?

Zardokk
05-25-2006, 03:58 PM
Maybe you got a bad set. Try testing the RAM sticks individually. You may have to RMA that RAM.

GSKILL TECH
05-26-2006, 12:49 PM
I've been trying for a while now to get an overclock I like without much luck. Anyways, I spent a day tweaking this RAM on my DFI Lanparty Ultra-D board and was working toward 270 FSB to get 2.7 on my 3700+ San Diego (it's not a good clocker). So after a while, I finally got the memory mostly stable. Overnight, memtest generated 1 error. But I still wanted to get it right.

So today I decided to tweak further and I reloaded my CMOS to what it was at that time. I was getting way more errors than before, so I ran memtest with the original reloaded CMOS. Now I get anywhere from 20 to 200 errors in the first 5% of test #8. No matter what I do, I cannot get 270 to work. If I hadn't been so close to stable settings before, I wouldn't be upset because you can't always expect that kind of OC. But I'm stumped as to how it all just changed like this with the same settings. Any ideas?
did u frash with new bios?

still in orange slot?

check my recommendation timing thread?

if everything was good b4 after bios cleaned. then must be something wrong during the process

ShawnTRD
05-26-2006, 01:41 PM
Hey whats up? I have the 3700 SD and I've been able to overclock to 2.85 no problem. What's in your rig and whats the settings? Maybe I can help.

gbaltzer
05-26-2006, 10:01 PM
did u frash with new bios?

still in orange slot?

check my recommendation timing thread?
I haven't flashed recently. I've been on the 704-2bta bios for a while. I'm still and always have been in the orange slots. And I briefly looked at the timing recommendation thread, but haven't yet attempted them yet.

Hey whats up? I have the 3700 SD and I've been able to overclock to 2.85 no problem. What's in your rig and whats the settings? Maybe I can help.My rig is as follows:

DFI Lanparty Ultra-D
A64 3700+
GSkill 2x1GB HZ
HIS X800XL
Hitachi DeskStar 160GB
Scythe Mine HIS + 120mm
Antec P160 + Antec SP-500 PSU

My settings are all over the place right now. I have two stable OC's in my CMOS reloaded, one at 260x11 and the other at 245x11. I'd like to re-test my higher OC though in hopes that maybe my CPU doesn't require as much volts as I thought. As it is now, I had to go as far as 1.475*113% to get there, which is terrible.

Now for the update. I tried testing the sticks individually today and had some interesting results. So I threw on some decently aggressive timings at 270 and ran memtest #8 and #5. One stick generated no errors in the first pass, one generated 214. In prime, the better stick lasted for nearly 4 hours, while the other one lasted for under 2 minutes. I then loosened the timings a bit and bumped to 280. Good stick got no errors in test #8 and 4 errors after 7 passes of #5. The bad stick generated around 38,000 errors in 1 pass of #8 and 3 passes of #5. I don't really know what to do from here. I guess I'll have to bottleneck my OC to my bad stick. :(

ShawnTRD
05-27-2006, 04:29 PM
Ask G.Skill guy is that would be under warranty.

gbaltzer
05-27-2006, 08:08 PM
Ask G.Skill guy is that would be under warranty.
I'm hoping G.S Technician will chime in and let me know if that's an option.

As for another update, I decided to get better stability for this comparison. I worked at 270x10 and tweaked the timings. The good stick was Prime stable for 12 hours. The second stick lasted 1 minute 20 seconds. So sad. :(

TMM
05-29-2006, 03:19 AM
Be grateful that they even do that. one of my sticks can only do 257mhz at 3-4-4-8, and the other 259mhz at 3-4-4-8. :|

I can't even POST at 270.