PDA

View Full Version : PS3 pre-owned games banned! WTF?

JAWS
05-24-2006, 11:03 AM
No, this could kill Sony! Nail, meet coffin. Coffin, nail. Nice to meet you!

http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/game/news/article.jsp?articleId=20060524153157765035&sectionId=1006

[PS3] Sony makes moves to stamp out lucrative second-hand market
Words: Matt Cundy

Wednesday 24 May 2006
High street games shops have been told by Sony that there will be no PS3 pre-owned sections in their stores as it will be illegal for customers to sell any next-gen PlayStation games that they've bought, retail sources have revealed to GamesRadar.

Mr. Tinker
05-24-2006, 11:14 AM
Sony isn't going to have any more feet to shoot pretty soon.

AJF
05-24-2006, 04:30 PM
Oh, I smell a mistake.

Absolute_0
05-24-2006, 04:32 PM
Yeah that's gotta be someone who hates Sony as much as me calling up stores and telling them lol.

Sony can't really be doing that. The rights of ownership give you the power to sell.

sealion
05-24-2006, 04:38 PM
I'll sell whatever I feel like selling...

Zardokk
05-24-2006, 05:19 PM
Sometimes I wonder what the Sony execs are smoking...The PS3 will probably be the biggest flop in video gaming history (well...except that ET game for the 2600). The $600 price point, $60+ games, lack of features, this new banning of sale of used games, the fact that a bunch of the stuff they promised has been scapped...it all leads me to the conclusion that the PS3 could very well be Sony's last console. I own a PS1 and a PS2, but there is no way I will pick up a PS3 unless the price drops below $200. I'm thinking that after launch, PS3s will be selling so bad that Sony will issue an immediate $100 price drop to try and boost sales, but that won't even help. Sony will loose big bucks on this console. The PS3 sounded great when Sony first started talking about it back in 2001, but they've really dropped the ball. Sony has been nailing their own coffin shut one nail at a time. First we hear the "[Insert feature here] has been dropped" then they throw out the "The PS3 will cost $600" card. I think that's it...Sony's presence in the console market is gone...

ZX7891
05-24-2006, 06:10 PM
PS3 WILL FAIL. Mark my words.

Waffles
05-24-2006, 08:02 PM
PS3 WILL FAIL. Mark my words.
QFT.. i don't see what they are thinking. surely this can't be true but holy hell.. no used games is bs.

OC_LeGeND
05-24-2006, 10:35 PM
imo......sony just fked themselves right there

perkam
05-25-2006, 03:00 AM
That's an interesting business decision. Except that PS2 Games were at the front of that second hand market.

A second hand market adds value to your console, as it gives those who can't afford to pay full price for a console or a game to buy them at a much more affordable price.

I'm liking this though. I really am. If there were loyalist sony gamers before, they're going to become more centrist now, and take a hard look at the wii and the x360.

Perkam

SoF
05-25-2006, 03:04 AM
I do not own any Sony equipment, except my tv (was a present of my parents), no console, not even headphones - guess why...

einCe
05-25-2006, 06:07 AM
sony isnt that dumb, i dont think anyone is but m$

Rackem
05-25-2006, 06:25 AM
That is crazy has the world gone mad!!!

JAWS
05-25-2006, 06:45 AM
they're going to become more centrist now, and take a hard look at the wii and the x360.

Perkam

:fact: so true!

epox4life
05-25-2006, 06:46 AM
bye bye, gamestop.

±Pink=FloYd±
05-25-2006, 07:40 AM
i sold my sony dvd burner last week for $20 cuz I hate some so much. lite-on is here already :) and btw... how will Sony regulate the sell of used games? I mean what about pawnshops and mom and pop shops?

ZX7891
05-25-2006, 07:40 AM
no gamestop will thrive, the thing is sony produced such a high quality unit, and they are LOSING money every time they sell one. sony needs to sell a rediculous amount of games in order to survive, and they arent making any money if people arent buying the new game

±Pink=FloYd±
05-25-2006, 07:45 AM
sorry to double post but i have thought of a way they can do this: Sony would have to make serials for each game and it would be sent to the system via a internet connection once the game is installed. that data would already be on the disk(the serial) and only the machine with a matching serial would be able to play it. its not heavily thought out.. but with the way that broadband has came along and almost everyone has it, or at least available to them. I wouldnt be supprised to see this integrated or at the forefront of the next console design and dev.

ZX7891
05-25-2006, 09:18 AM
then you discriminate to everyone without a broadband connection though, so you would lose a lot of the market.

itznfb
05-25-2006, 09:38 AM
sony doesn't have the legal right to not allow someone to sell a game they legally purchased. they could however restrict retailers from selling anything but new games. but the consumer will still retain teh right to sell it. sony would have to have each and every person who buys a game to sign a conract stating that they will not sell the game in order to pull that off, and no one would sign a contract like that.

uOpt
05-25-2006, 09:51 AM
They cannot make it "illegal" to sell your used games in countries where the law says it is legal.

The construct they are trying to use here, that the buyer is not the owner, is not legally possible and hence NIL at least in Germany. I highly doubt you can enforce it in the U.S.

Insane countries like Australia might work.

But overall all they get from this is same sales and worse reputation. If the Western world is not bound to this construct and the Asians pirate the game anyway there's not much point to this except bad press.

amd4me
05-25-2006, 10:03 AM
The console makers have started pissing me off.
Thats why i'm not gonna go next gen.
I'm getting a new PC when conroe drops.

uOpt
05-25-2006, 10:10 AM
The console makers have started pissing me off.
Thats why i'm not gonna go next gen.
I'm getting a new PC when conroe drops.

There is nothing in Sony's attempted construct that is special to the PS.

They can just switch the licensing model for all the PC games from studios they own to whatever they want.

Of course they try PS first since people can't easily avoid their games.

Mr. Tinker
05-25-2006, 10:12 AM
Well, I don't have the link but the latest official word from Sony today is that the "no selling pre-owned games" rumor is bunk.

JAWS
05-25-2006, 10:52 AM
Well, I don't have the link but the latest official word from Sony today is that the "no selling pre-owned games" rumor is bunk.

for their sake, I hope it is.

(not that I care about Sony)

±Pink=FloYd±
05-25-2006, 04:40 PM
well even if you couldn't sell them.. how would sony keep you from trading?
i can't wait till someone makes a modchip for the ps3.. sony will declare them as the anti-christ

nn_step
05-25-2006, 04:44 PM
If they try to force it, so help me God.. They will fail

Aynjell
05-25-2006, 05:48 PM
What I heard was there will be keys, and an internet connection may help enforce this. Imagine the scenario:

A 600$ gaming kit with only (what, 2 real popular franchies, all I can think of is FF and gran turismo), that requires internet (my speculation as a possibilty to enforce no trading), has no real innovative features, is supposedly hard to code for, debuts much later than any of hte other consoles, costs more than the other two consoles combined (which both have VERY attractive titles available, who doesn't love at least one nintendo game?), and has been figured to have ugly load times due to a slow reader based on a new format that nobody is really excited about...

If this rumor is true. Sony is dead in the water, and this is the shark swimming under them.

r3w4
05-25-2006, 06:39 PM
This is probably what happened: MS created some fembots. The sex deprived Japanese that head Sony were easily seduced despite the bots were running on Windows. They're now all locked in Bill Gate's basement and can't leave because a Windows ME retail box is blocking the door. They're afraid it will explode if they go near it.

Aynjell
05-25-2006, 07:54 PM
This is probably what happened: MS created some fembots. The sex deprived Japanese that head Sony were easily seduced despite the bots were running on Windows. They're now all locked in Bill Gate's basement and can't leave because a Windows ME retail box is blocking the door. They're afraid it will explode if they go near it.

o.O

That is a possibility, I suppose.

nobody_here
05-25-2006, 08:20 PM
sony doesn't have the legal right to not allow someone to sell a game they legally purchased. they could however restrict retailers from selling anything but new games. but the consumer will still retain teh right to sell it. sony would have to have each and every person who buys a game to sign a conract stating that they will not sell the game in order to pull that off, and no one would sign a contract like that.

there is always something like that with every game or software package....it's called the EULA, you own the rights to play the game on the disc, you dont own the game, it's not your's, you paid to have a "copy" of the original and to play it, not to own it

Aynjell
05-26-2006, 02:18 AM
there is always something like that with every game or software package....it's called the EULA, you own the rights to play the game on the disc, you dont own the game, it's not your's, you paid to have a "copy" of the original and to play it, not to own it

The EULA is still an illegal concept which remarkably still goes unchallenged? How can you agree to a contract you haven't read yet? Every EULA forces you to do it.

itznfb
05-26-2006, 03:19 AM

the EULA cannot take away your right to re-sell a piece of merchandise. you have purchased a physical piece of media that you are free to trade and or sell at will. the bottom line is they can't keep someone from re-selling it unless they sign a legal binding contract. a EULA and or terms of agreement, cannot act as a binding contract.

edit:
on another note. i could definatly see the PS3 getting totally owned by the Wii. sony has made so many mistakes with the PS3. and nintendo has made so many positive leaps.

dinos22
05-26-2006, 03:34 AM
I do not own any Sony equipment, except my tv (was a present of my parents), no console, not even headphones - guess why...
hmmm ok i give up

why?

±Pink=FloYd±
05-26-2006, 01:04 PM
well since everyone is going to be suing their mother and everyone else.. we can expect Peter Jackson to some how actually make a movie about Sony vs. PS3 owners and sell the rights to EA so they can make a game to come out around Christmas.

andyisc00l
05-26-2006, 02:45 PM
OK - you have to figure this too, sony isn't stupid..really, they aren't. lol I'm guessing PS3 will be awesome and I'll pick one up...its either that or spend $1400 for a decent gaming computer which I'll do anyways but I'm guessing alot of people might figure it that way. And plus they have all the titles. Also everything is speculation, PS3 hasn't been released, maybe $500-600 is worth it...although that is realllly expensive...stupid blu-ray...but hey! you can watch blu-ray movies when they come out! big plus since it will most likely win the format war, and watching hi-res movies is awesome even if they cost $30.

Samsung BD-P1000
High Definition Blu-Ray DVD Player Pre-order yours today, Email me when available

Blu-ray high-definition disc player (720p/1080i/1080p) • video upconversion for DVD via HDMI output (720p/1080i/1080p) • also plays DVD-Video, DVD-R & DVD-RW, DVD+R & DVD+RW, DVD-RAM, CD, audio CD-R & CD-RW • component video output • optical and coaxial digital audio outputs

Free shipping on this item
Two ways to save 10% on home theater

$999.99

Sony makes some of the best TVs available...tube tv, LCD tv, and DLP tv...especially the DLP(SXRD)/tube(i forget)...they have great DVD players, recievers, speakers, CD players, headphones, PS1/PS2 were the best consoles ever...seriously we are underestimating sony.

[XC] MarioMaster
05-26-2006, 03:46 PM
ps3 just keeps looking worse and worse as it comes closer to release time, i mean look at microsoft and nintendo - no problems even coming close to what's been going on with the ps3 from problems with the blu-ray technology and the system itself, not to mention the price - it's just another thing that's now tacked onto their screw up list

[XC] MarioMaster
05-26-2006, 03:48 PM
i'm just wondering if this might turn out to be like what happened to the dreamcast

Serra
05-26-2006, 04:52 PM
Sony makes some of the best TVs available...tube tv, LCD tv, and DLP tv...especially the DLP(SXRD)/tube(i forget)...they have great DVD players, recievers, speakers, CD players, headphones, PS1/PS2 were the best consoles ever...seriously we are underestimating sony.

Sony? Sony makes bar none some of the worst receivers I've ever used, some of the harshest sounding speakers, their CD players are pretty well just average, headphones... don't make me laugh... DLP's... not bad, but could have been much better (especially for the price)..

No, let's stop this here. Sony makes a few good products (at an outrageous premium), but their days of being on top are long over. They've been sliding in quality and value for almost a decade now, and although I really hope the PS3 *is* something amazing, I'm not about to hold my breath. The only thing Sony really has going for them is the incredible product loyalty, and that's what they market for. They may market their products as the latest and greatest - and often they will be the alpha releasers for products - but the quality is quite often missing and they just don't seem to care.

My 2 cents.

Serra

HiJon89
05-26-2006, 05:00 PM
the EULA cannot take away your right to re-sell a piece of merchandise. you have purchased a physical piece of media that you are free to trade and or sell at will. the bottom line is they can't keep someone from re-selling it unless they sign a legal binding contract. a EULA and or terms of agreement, cannot act as a binding contract.

edit:
on another note. i could definatly see the PS3 getting totally owned by the Wii. sony has made so many mistakes with the PS3. and nintendo has made so many positive leaps.
Currently the way it works with games is that when you buy one, you are only purchasing the physical disk. You are not buying the rights to its contents, which is why copying games is illegal. It seems that PS3 is trying to take this a step further by saying you don't even own the physical disk, you are only buying the right to use it, assuming this rumor is true.

[XC] leviathan18
05-26-2006, 05:28 PM
OK - you have to figure this too, sony isn't stupid..really, they aren't. lol I'm guessing PS3 will be awesome and I'll pick one up...its either that or spend $1400 for a decent gaming computer which I'll do anyways but I'm guessing alot of people might figure it that way. And plus they have all the titles. Also everything is speculation, PS3 hasn't been released, maybe $500-600 is worth it...although that is realllly expensive...stupid blu-ray...but hey! you can watch blu-ray movies when they come out! big plus since it will most likely win the format war, and watching hi-res movies is awesome even if they cost $30.

Samsung BD-P1000
High Definition Blu-Ray DVD Player Pre-order yours today, Email me when available

Blu-ray high-definition disc player (720p/1080i/1080p) • video upconversion for DVD via HDMI output (720p/1080i/1080p) • also plays DVD-Video, DVD-R & DVD-RW, DVD+R & DVD+RW, DVD-RAM, CD, audio CD-R & CD-RW • component video output • optical and coaxial digital audio outputs

Free shipping on this item
Two ways to save 10% on home theater

$999.99

earlie adopters of new formats are videophiles that buy the best of the best doesnt matter the price they wont buy a ps3 for 600$ average joe will buy a BR when they cost 200 300 to adopt no one will buy a 600$ console that is just wrong the price for a console is 200 300 like wii.

besides that DLP samsung>sony lcd well samsung lg > sony plasma pioneer samsung lg > sony dvd players sony are well decent cd players pioneer > sony.

and sony is stupid they lost with betamax atrac 3 and minidisc now umd and well time will say about BR

ak_47_boy
05-26-2006, 06:00 PM
If this is the truth that means no renting games ether :eek:
At 599€ (900usd), broadband needed, and no renting or second hand games...i smell failure. If people buy the ps3 at first sony will be selling at a loss, once people figure out that it is bulls*** they will stop buying before sony actualy starts making profits. Sony's bank will inplode :woot:

andyisc00l
05-26-2006, 09:59 PM
Sony? Sony makes bar none some of the worst receivers I've ever used, some of the harshest sounding speakers, their CD players are pretty well just average, headphones... don't make me laugh... DLP's... not bad, but could have been much better (especially for the price)..

No, let's stop this here. Sony makes a few good products (at an outrageous premium), but their days of being on top are long over. They've been sliding in quality and value for almost a decade now, and although I really hope the PS3 *is* something amazing, I'm not about to hold my breath. The only thing Sony really has going for them is the incredible product loyalty, and that's what they market for. They may market their products as the latest and greatest - and often they will be the alpha releasers for products - but the quality is quite often missing and they just don't seem to care.

My 2 cents.

Serra

I'm gonna flat out own you on how sony is on top...
Sony has been #1 on cnet for several months and is reguarded as simply the best DLP available (SXRD), actually the BEST tv out of any type of tv on the mainstream market, and the bravias are excelent too, also in the top 10, and the regular DLPs aren't bad either, if you've inspected all DLPs you'll know why, they have a few DVD players in the top 10, they have a few recievers in the top 10(yes they aren't bad), some headphones in top 10, 3 digital cameras in top 10, camecorder in top 10, the sony vaio is pretty popular, ps1 and ps2 were incredible, dvd burners are popular, sony psp has sold over 4 million units in the u.s., sony owns half of BMG music(2nd largest record label which owns TONS of labels like columbia records and epic), sony is in the top 20 semi conductors of the world, Sony pictures owns tons of crap, tons of movies that you know, television shows like just shoot me, seinfeld, malcom in the middle, king of queens, and movies like the da vinci code, the pink panther, bad boys 2, mr. deeds, jerry maguire, click the new adam sandler movie, THEY ARE HUGE, they're like a 70 billion dollar industry ,forgot about gaming like everquest, the matrix, tomb raider, final fantasy...sony isnt' goin away for a while...and I was thinking this was the "end of sony" thread, oh well, still kinda interesting.
Sony isn't "the best" in every electronics category but they still are a reputable brand and their products are usually in the top 10..

ak_47_boy
05-27-2006, 04:28 AM
Most or Sony's products arnt to good, but there not crap. The only two things they are good at is camcorders and projectors, they realy shine hear. Sony doesent have money to throw around, if blu ray and ps3 fails, they are done. They have to much money invested into it. Bill gates has like 600billion but in his bank account he may only have 2billion, the rest is the acctual value of his company. Sony has 70billion but may have 1billion in the bank, the cost of developing was probly around 3 billion, sooo 3-1=-2billion.

andyisc00l
05-27-2006, 03:11 PM
Most or Sony's products arnt to good, but there not crap. The only two things they are good at is camcorders and projectors, they realy shine hear. Sony doesent have money to throw around, if blu ray and ps3 fails, they are done. They have to much money invested into it. Bill gates has like 600billion but in his bank account he may only have 2billion, the rest is the acctual value of his company. Sony has 70billion but may have 1billion in the bank, the cost of developing was probly around 3 billion, sooo 3-1=-2billion.

you've never been so wrong, bill gates is WORTH like $50 billion(at one point $100 billion)...he IS the richest person in the world, there are a good amount of billionaires, but no one has the money he has, $50 billion, you can't say that "oh yea he has 2 billion in the bank" because he doesn't, he has $50 billion, and it's invested (which is what people do)...and sony will not fail from bluray and ps3, they won't bomb, and even if they didn't do so hot, they are a HUGE company, did you just come in here and guess? Yea headline "sony files bankruptcy", I'll give someone $1000 if that happens, there's no way that anyone would allow it, the government would help them out they're too big or something would happen, they'd mess something up... lol :stick:

ocmyface
05-27-2006, 03:42 PM
i think the issue is more of their console/gaming sector going out of business, not the whole company, like sega did with the dreamcast

HiJon89
05-27-2006, 04:35 PM
i think the issue is more of their console/gaming sector going out of business, not the whole company, like sega did with the dreamcast
I was mad about that, Dreamcast definitely did not deserve to be such a flop, it is at least tied for my favorite gaming console.

The_End
05-27-2006, 04:46 PM
i Dont know why everyone is thinking the company is going to go "down" from the relase of the ps3, i think sure theres allways some problems when making a car right? its not all going to be perfect, give them some time and wait till its released and then we will see.

Aynjell
05-28-2006, 02:03 PM
I was mad about that, Dreamcast definitely did not deserve to be such a flop, it is at least tied for my favorite gaming console.

After the genesis it was one flop after another. I was in love with my saturn... :D

[XC] MarioMaster
05-28-2006, 02:43 PM
dreamcast was kickass though, it should've done better

AJF
05-30-2006, 07:03 PM
The marketing and game selection is what got it. But to be honest, I love being able to play all the Sonic games from Genesis on on my Xbox.

LiQU!D
05-31-2006, 08:05 AM
it will be illegal for customers to sell any next-gen PlayStation games that they've bought, retail sources have revealed to GamesRadar.

My arse, there's no way in hell they can do that.

It's someones property and they can sell it if they want to, I believe sony would be in violation of the law if they actually put this through.

Eclipsed
05-31-2006, 09:23 AM
It seems liek you guys haven't heard, but Sony has denied this.

slavearm
06-16-2006, 09:43 AM
Rumors and lies... go figure.

Praxis1452
06-18-2006, 04:05 PM
bet you guys sony leaked this "idea" to see how badly people would react. If it wasn't too bad they probably would've implemented it.

Lestat
06-18-2006, 08:07 PM
now i maybe wrong here but how does sony have the right to keep you and me from selling games ?

once we buy it its ours... end of story we can sell it or give it away or smash it if we wish.

if they want to stop retail stores fine but i dont think they have a legal leg to stand on when it comes to ebay and forums and such

Ominous Gamer
06-18-2006, 09:06 PM
A long while back theinq showed a Sony owned patent that allows game discs to only be useable on the console they are first played on.

I didn't think Sony would follow up on it, I mean damn....
This rules out gaming at friends', trading games, borrowing games, and least of all; broke consoles mean broken games!

now i maybe wrong here but how does sony have the right to keep you and me from selling games ?
once we buy it its ours... end of story we can sell it or give it away or smash it if we wish.
if they want to stop retail stores fine but i dont think they have a legal leg to stand on when it comes to ebay and forums and such

Much of the Microsoft software you use right now is already protected by the same idea that Sony wants to follow, just read the EULA. It says something along the lines of:

The product you are using is property of Microsoft, Microsoft reserves the right to revoke the use of this product at any time, for any reason.
Don't believe me? Try selling a used copy of Office Student and Teacher edition on Ebay.

http://clevescene.com/issues/2005-03-30/news/feature.html
Something everyone needs to read.

ferrari_freak
07-08-2006, 09:29 AM
Well, if it does come true, it's just another reason to laugh in the face of stubborn PS fanboys. But seriously, it just doesn't make sense. Gaming at a friend's house is one of the best things of having a console, no need to install, no need to adjust settings to make it work properly without lagging, just take a controller, take the disk and your ready. If this turns out to be true, then Sony's gonna lose crazy amounts of money (that is, if it does turn out to be true and not just lies and rumours). Anyways, this is just another reason to check out the much cheaper priced consoles that have better features.

Usama aka Ferrari Freak