PDA

View Full Version : What are the chances this is misreading?

AndrewZorn
05-24-2006, 08:54 AM
(I know software temps suck, but hear me out on this... I am hoping they ARE wrong.)

I have:
- Hydor L30
- Black Ice Xtreme (single) (with a ~50CFM fan on each side push/pull)
- Swiftech Storm
- All 1/2" ID

This system with my Opteron 165 at 1.50v: ~40*C, absolute max.
This system with my Opteron 165 at 1.50v, removed IHS: ~38*C, absolute max.

I got a 170 the other day. IHS is still on. I don't think I put on too much AS5 (I've done this quite a bit... but I might try a remount later tonight) and at 1.55v (notice that this is indeed the greatest load I've had yet) I've seen temps OVER 50*C. It's a little warmer, etc, so let's just call it 50*C.

Same board, same everything.

Is there a chance the CPU is just reading high, or is it truly that hot (at least, compared to my 165)!? I feel the tubes/water temp, and it seems identicalish to the max load of the 165 (38*C) but then again with an IHS the efficiency is lowered and naturally the water would not be as hot and the CPU is taking more of that heat.

But 50*C?

Previous owner said at 1.5v it stayed under 50*C... on air. At 1.5v I see like 48*Cish but I haven't done dual SP2004 in those conditions.

flutie98
05-24-2006, 09:00 AM
it could be a few things, first of all touching the water to see if there is a difference istn gonna tell you anything,

the next issue might be a bad mount on your storm, try reseating it

or the guy you bought it from could have lied or had a really horrible temp sensor and the chip has a horribly bad ihs mount.

your getting good temps on your 165, same as me

creidiki
05-24-2006, 09:00 AM
bad mount or similar.

it depends a lot on your batch/week, but thats too much of a difference.

Bail_w
05-24-2006, 09:55 AM
Try to remount the heatsink, and avoid adding too much AS5

AndrewZorn
05-24-2006, 09:56 AM
So if the mount was good, then the sensor is bad?

The sensor doesn't bother me much. As long as it isn't running that hot.

But then again I can't get it stable at 2800mhz (1.55v). He had 2850mhz at 1.50v on AIR, but that was on an Expert.

It just went OVER 2HRS on 2.8ghz/1.55v. What else can be done, if it goes 2hrs!? Could it be RAM? As I've never seen a CPU go 2hrs without error when it's unstable...

AndrewZorn
05-24-2006, 10:59 AM
Just finished remounting it... Wiped all the AS5 off the waterblock (with 70% isopropyl), it looked a bit thin on the IHS so i put a small dab in the thinnest area (where there was next to no AS5) and tightened until it became difficult to go any further. I don't have the LOTES bracket attached, because it is nothing but a pain... right?

Temps haven't changed. 35*C typing this right now. With the IHSless 165 at 1.50v, it was about 10*C less...

creidiki
05-24-2006, 11:06 AM
youve got too much AS5.

wipe it all off, both the block and IHS, and put a small dot, smaller than a grain of rice, in the center of the IHS.

then remount.

ise the stock bracket and its works fine.

AndrewZorn
05-24-2006, 11:11 AM
ok will try, once more...

but the LOTES bracket does nothing more than prevent overtightening. from what i understand... i mean look at it, all it does is raise the sides, and then you have the plastic spacers that adds to that. remove the LOTES and the plastic spacers, and what do you have? the same thing...

its just a pain to get the LOTES and the spacers on all at the same time while keeping the whole thing vertical.

EDIT and you have the same stepping and block as me, what is your idle/load?

creidiki
05-24-2006, 11:13 AM
*shrug*

i get perfect contact with the bracket & spacers. if you really think bending the motherboard is such a great idea, be my guest. i doubt youll see any improvement in temps.

in any case, too much TIM is worse than too little.

AndrewZorn
05-24-2006, 11:15 AM
well you cant use the LOTES if you wanted to for a CPU without IHS...

but ill remount again pretty soon, or now, and try the LOTES...

i just got one more idea. the stock fan is coming in the mail soon. i could put it at like 1.4v and see what the temps do. i would guess a stocker and 1.4v would be about the same, if not more, than the water at 1.55v if all were right?

creidiki
05-24-2006, 11:27 AM
i used the bracket on an IHS-less cpu with no issue.

those temps are ridicolous for water. thats the sort of temps air gets.

Absolute_0
05-24-2006, 11:30 AM
CCBWE 165

CCB1E/CCBBE 170 = hotter

Temps > 50c with 1.55v (watercooled) is exactly what i got on multiple CCB1Es. If you have one of those... it would explain it.

As for 2.85 Ghz, try using less voltage.

creidiki
05-24-2006, 11:35 AM
jesus, thats a bit hot no? thats like 8c more than my CCBWE gets.

Bail_w
05-24-2006, 11:39 AM
Prephas you might think about Pop the IHS off that opty :)

Vice
05-24-2006, 11:45 AM
Try putting a stronger fan on that radiator.. it seems that wasnt the problem before but..

AndrewZorn
05-24-2006, 12:20 PM
165: CCBWE
170: CCBWE

Before/After cooling has not changed at all

EDIT I'm using the LOTES/spacers now.

I took it apart, again, and put only a rice-grain-or-less thing (horizontally in the direction that the cores go) and put it all back together...

EDIT and I've done this quite a few times. I don't think I'm missing a power cable or anything.

Now I get 4 RED LEDs. Fans, Video card, etc all come on. Tried clearing CMOS. Please don't tell me I hosed the CPU just trying to get lower temps. I'm hoping it's the board.

What can I do?

Eastcoasthandle
05-24-2006, 03:30 PM
The only missing variable in this equation is the fact that you are using only 1 rad. I say if you went to a quad rad setup (3 tier rad that requires 3 fans) your temps should be reduced. There is only so much a 120mm fanned, rad can do and I think you have reached the limits of it with the fan.

Also note that there is no real benefit from a push/pull fan setup. In fact you can hamper the push by limiting by it's pull if the fins don't restrict airflow.

Go ahead and experiement with them. Put to equal cfm fans together in a puch pull fashion and see if the pitch of the fans don't change. Reason is that no fan is created equal some maybe slightly better or worst at 50CFM.

AndrewZorn
05-24-2006, 04:13 PM
a single 120mm is plenty for a CPU only

but what about the non-posting
this is really bad
please someone help

creidiki
05-24-2006, 04:15 PM
have you checked that you havent bent a pin?

me, i always leave the mobo 24-pin connector half-in and it fails to post 2-3 times until i realize it. every rebuild. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. >.<

Absolute_0
05-24-2006, 04:19 PM
If it's "misreading" then it would be misreading all CPUs.

If the 170 has terrible temps and isn't a CCB1E stepping, then i'm going to guess that it has terrible IHS contact.

AndrewZorn
05-24-2006, 04:35 PM
1 - i didnt change anything, but im going to do a teardown right now
2 - i thought the sensor was built into the CPU not the board

creidiki
05-24-2006, 04:41 PM
it is, but its the mobo that misreads the values reported by the CPU, not the onboard sensor that faulty.

you can put a cpu into one of those DFIs that give sub-ambient idles on h2o, then take it out and put it into a mobo that reports more realistic temps and it'll give you more realistic temps :)

which is why since you were getting pretty realistic temps on your 165 its not a case of temp misreporting here, though it could be a case of bad IHS mount - or, bad cpu, and the temps were a sign of the cpu dying on you from the start.

AndrewZorn
05-24-2006, 05:11 PM
1.41v, less AS5: 55*C+...

IM going to try ANOTHER REMOUNT... if that doesnt work, i might check out shipping insurance, as the guy who sent it to me wrapped it in a plastic bag, and shipped it in the AMD retail box. whihc i am still pissed about.

nealh
05-24-2006, 05:11 PM
What is the offset temp on the cpu

I had a 165 0550 VPMW offfset -7C..idle was 30/31C...load 40C

170 0550 VPMW offset -4C..idle 32/33C...load is 42.5C

both load temps are after 4hrs large fft on the 165, 10hrs on the 170 with large fft with ambient 24-26C

AndrewZorn
05-24-2006, 05:28 PM
idle like 36
load over 50

here it is again
1.45v
53*C

i am so :banana::banana::banana::banana:ing pissed

do i need to use teh shipping insurance? this cannot be right
no it was not this bad at first but it was pretty bad at first and its just been getting worse and worse and worse

nealh
05-24-2006, 05:35 PM
look here to determine offset temps
http://cbid.amdclub.ru/

AndrewZorn
05-24-2006, 05:39 PM
and where does it say it i cannot find it

idling at 36*C with water and 'stock voltage' (the DFI undervolt and the fact that athlons are rated at 1.4v means this is safe) and load of over 50*C on water is just too much

so you guys think the CPU has been 'dying' because it certainly appears to have been worse... i used to get about 45*C load on '1.45v' and now it is much higher

nealh
05-24-2006, 05:42 PM
once installed it under p- mobility

I thin kthis number is what is added to temp to get final value

DFI overvolt under load..idle is what is set in the bios

creidiki
05-24-2006, 05:42 PM
Well, something aint right, thats for sure.

Why dont you slap on the stock cooler just to make sure its not your water suddenly crapping you, but i doubt thats the case...

AndrewZorn
05-24-2006, 05:52 PM
i would but he kind of didnt send it even though he said he would. he figured "i wouldnt need it" but he is sending it now. im really considering just taking up the shipping insurance before it is too late.

i mean, the temps have since i bought it have been high. i always kept thinking "well, IHS" but i kept remembering in the back of my mind that my 165 NEVER really passed 40*C even with the IHS. now its at 1.4/1.45v whatever you want to call it and is breaking 50*C on water with a storm. as in, the problem is definately getting worse. and i have not abused it or anything... 1.55v is the highest ive had it and that is nothing to worry about breaking the CPU over (esp since id say total hrs on the CPU since ive owned it is like 20 and at 1.55v maybe 10hrs and monitored with MBM5; shutdown temp of 60*C which is has never reached; i dont let the CPU go over 50*C before i restart and change stuff).

Jochenp
05-25-2006, 01:26 AM
With temps that high on h2o, I would even be afraid to put the stock heatsink on

I'd try shipping insurance, this ain't normal.

Jochenp

nealh
05-25-2006, 02:27 AM
ok...this is a question because I was an idiot ...but you are getting good airflow to the radiator correct

vegabros
05-25-2006, 04:09 AM
Didn't ship the stock HSF? Is this even a brand new CPU or did he ship out a used one?

Jochenp
05-25-2006, 04:35 AM
Whadya think :rolleyes:
He bought it second handed off a guy

creidiki
05-25-2006, 04:39 AM
Hey, i bought my 170 off some random fleebayer, and it works just fine, tyvm =p

vegabros
05-25-2006, 04:44 AM
I never buy components like videocards and cpu's used. Unless it's dirt cheap... but you never know what they did to it and there is no warranty :\

My evga 7900gt has lifetime warranty :)

AndrewZorn
05-25-2006, 05:40 AM
i traded my 165 CCBBE 0610DPMW for this 170 CCBWE 0550UPMW

he advertised it as retail

YET:
- he slapped the UPS label on the AMD box itself, and shipped it in that... box ruined
- no green stuff inside
- not even a CPU holder
- he literally threw the CPU in a plastic bag, wrapped it up, and put it in there with packing peanuts. like, nothing covering the pins or ANYTHING
- no heatsink, as advertised

i paid $42 to ship him his overnight because he wanted it. i said OK just pay the difference between yours and mine because i want standard shipping
so the little AMD box, ONLY with a CPU in it (like 1lb) he said cost $18 to ship standard. and he is giving me hassle about paying the FULL DIFFERENCE... he sent me $20, and is hesitant to give me the rest, although we agreed/estimated $25 originally (and this is when I expected overnight to cost a lot less). and he refuses to reimburse me for the :banana::banana::banana::banana:ty shipping, ruined box, etc... he says its perfectly normal, and that i am whining over details.

EDIT so this isnt good, right? everyone at AMD forums keeps telling me its my fault, and that i ruined it or something. its going to be a miracle if UPS even goes through with the shipping, and then ill just get whatever he insured it for, not another 170 CCBWE.

vegabros
05-25-2006, 05:54 AM
Well I hope it some how works out...

But don't buy used stuff. Unless it has some kind of warranty, then it makes no sense. You something, the guys sends you crap or a defective product and then what?

But then again, I doubt the CPU is defective if the only problem yer getting is higher temps. Maybe your cpu block needs to be cleaned or something...

AndrewZorn
05-25-2006, 06:02 AM
believe me
i keep thinking well maybe it could be the cooling system too

but i realized all this like 20mins after taking out my 165 which ran nowhere near this hot

and i doubt ill be buying used anymore
this was my first used part

nealh
05-25-2006, 07:15 AM
Heck..I sell parts and take great pride in being honest and package items well...I ship/package the sold item as if I am the buyer

I have sold items for 7 yrs at Anandtech, hardforums etc....no negative evals...I was trolled once and never again:mad:

The problem is many sellers dont care and do not sell honestly

where did you buy this ..a forum or ebay...was there a buyers protection from ebay

BTW..did he provide any links to dual prime 95 stablity or some form of evidence it did as rated...

Good luck with insurance...really does sound like UPS is at fault as much as the seller...who ships a cpu in the AMD box alone...you must but that box in something else as a minimum..also why was the HSF not in there as promised and he is not paying the shipping difference

seller=troll

This seller is a troll and needs to be add to the the do not trade list...

AndrewZorn
05-25-2006, 07:17 AM
he is shipping the heatsink now and is GOING to finish making the difference payment... though i dont think this packing job is worth $18...

i called UPS it was insured for 400. the thing is now i have to decide if $400 is better than this CPU or not. if they even give it to me... they are giong to see a box that is intact. probably nothing more...

and he didnt give a p95 screenshot but that doesnt bother me he could just as easily forge one i do believe that it worked right when he had it
packing it like he did does not have good results

Absolute_0
05-25-2006, 07:41 AM
400$ is way better than a messed up CCBWE.

Sounds like some jackass sold you a CPU on its deathbed.

I'd be angry. The act of shipping IN the AMD box implies that you're dealing with a real idyuut.

Can i ask why you bought of this guy? Where's his heatware profile?

eXa
05-25-2006, 07:50 AM
i buy almost everything secod hand...

AndrewZorn
05-25-2006, 10:03 AM
400$ is way better than a messed up CCBWE.

Sounds like some jackass sold you a CPU on its deathbed.

I'd be angry. The act of shipping IN the AMD box implies that you're dealing with a real idyuut.

Can i ask why you bought of this guy? Where's his heatware profile?
he is cooperating a bit more now.

i called UPS they said they would have to inspect the CPU/box before giving me UP TO $400... im worried about this, considering the chances that the average UPS worker has any idea what I'm talking about, and that the box isnt like cut in half or anything.

the guy had 30ish ebay feedback. i wont put his name out yet to be bashed until its all said and done. i want to give a chance for all things to be set straight.

$400 better than the 170 CCBWE 0550UPMW... if i had $400, I'd be able to afford something that went hopefully near as high, on phase?

truly the only thing wrong with it is the heat. not that its minor. that is getting way too hot. i dont know how much such a thing would matter on phase... but right now im worried about it dying on me.

and i cant help to keep thinking that it might be the cooling system, as some are saying. but i JUST PULLED a nicely cooled 165. i didnt change anything... i unscrewed teh waterblock, moved it aside, and put in the 170. thats it. i doubt i could have made something bad happen... its not leaking or anything...

Levish
05-25-2006, 10:57 AM
have you tried adding another fan on the rad (if you have only one on there)?

that's about 120-130w you are trying to dissipate with a single 120m fan rad

Absolute_0
05-25-2006, 10:59 AM
BIX1 is enough for a single CPU @ low volts

Levish
05-25-2006, 11:01 AM
with a hydor L30 and a high restriction waterblock like the storm I think giving the rad a little more than 50cfm might not be a bad idea

and a opteron @ 2.8ghz+ with 1.55vcore isn't exactly low load

Absolute_0
05-25-2006, 11:11 AM
It's not the watercooling that's messing up here, it was good on the other CPUs. Loops don't break down and clog up overnight.

*Anyway in the first post he states there's a 50cfm fan on each side of the radiator.

Levish
05-25-2006, 11:17 AM
all I amd suggesting is that he may have been nearing the capacity of his setup before and this new cpu may put out a little more heat and have overwhelmed it.

A 100cfm 120mm fan or better is what i would try next. I suppose it's easy for me to say since i've got a few different 120mm fans lying around.

eXa
05-25-2006, 11:27 AM
there isnt a point where the temps suddenly skyrockets with WC if the rad aint enough. its just a little high thats all! it aint the setup thats faulty here!

creidiki
05-25-2006, 11:31 AM
Yeah, WC aint TEC cooling where you can get thermal runaway situations, you would have to more than double the TDP to see a 10c increase.

AndrewZorn
05-25-2006, 11:31 AM
have you tried adding another fan on the rad (if you have only one on there)?

that's about 120-130w you are trying to dissipate with a single 120m fan rad
2 fans, either side

and everyone with a GPU/GPU/CPU has a dual or triple all the time, i think the single 120 is plenty..

no wait, i dont think, i know
let me reiterate
the 165 at higher voltage (1.50 vs 1.45) ran over 10*C cooler
given, no IHS, but that barely cancels out the voltage difference

ok nevermind it looks like some people stated what ive been saying...

i thought about the 'just over the limit' deal, but in such a scenario, it would just get hotter and hotter and hotter over time. with the 165 id turn it on itd be like 20, then end up idling around 23-24, on a warmer day, 25, load under 40*C always. this starts/idles at 35*C, and within 3mins, its in upper 40s. within 5-10mins, im seeing 50s. after that, i dont see below 50...

Levish
05-25-2006, 11:33 AM
we aren't really talking about skyrocketting

his speed might have been slower
he was using less vcore
and we're talking about a different chip

All those things together could lead to higher processor temps 2c-3cfor each of those doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

To make matters worse he isn't using a very good combination of parts according to maxxxracers own guides

i.e.
low flow pump with high restriction cpu block
low cfm fans with a rad that works well with high cfm fans

creidiki
05-25-2006, 11:36 AM
no, the wc is fine. you can do better, sure, but its fine. 2 fans on both sides fo a bix provide enough static pressure for it to cool well enough.

eXa
05-25-2006, 11:37 AM
push\pull helpes!

AndrewZorn
05-25-2006, 11:38 AM
then: 2700mhz, 1.5v
now: 2700mhz, 1.46v

then: 25/40*C
now: 35/53*C

then: ccbwe uncapped (dont worry, it didnt take 10*C off... more like 4*C... on a good day...)
now: ccbwe capped

i consider that a skyrocket

and the pump isnt amazing but as i said before it worked fine before and ALL that i have is a storm and a radiator

Levish
05-25-2006, 11:41 AM
Wow, I'm sorry i ever posted in this thread, you'd swear i suggested something radical ...

ihs less processors can easily be anywhere from 2-10c cooler, i've seen 5c personally

in the op you mentioned you were running 1.5 before and that you were running 1.55 now which is why i mentioned trying a higher cfm fan but given that you are running less vcore now I take it back.

eXa
05-25-2006, 11:41 AM
no ihs doesnt do much with idle temps. so if those 3 degres more delta could be because of the ihs.

and the average 10 degres more could just be different thermal offsetts on the cpus!

AndrewZorn
05-25-2006, 11:43 AM
i cant tell if its sarcasm or not (no offense)

taking off my IHS did next to nothing... this is a test result, not a random-bag drawn number. even IHSd i didnt see [much if any] over 40*C

and yeah all that was before but now its at 1.46v and the temps are suprisingly not that much better. im afraid to do 1.55v now...

situman
05-25-2006, 11:47 AM
Let me put it this way. THe cpu is fine. He did not sell you a bum cpu. I had a 170 TPMW and that thing ran hotter than urs. I took the IHS and still ran at 50c. Before I was hitting 57-58c running 2.7 at 1.55volts. YOu are mad because you think the cpu is broken cause of the temp. It is not. That's the nature of Opties. If you think this is a bum cpu, why not RMA it to AMD? At least they will do thorough testing and if its bad, they send you a new one. You dont need to send them any invoices to proof of purchase. CPU running hot is not defective. CPU not running IS defective.

eXa
its not sarcasm.

all im saying is that your actual temps could be just the same as before!

situman
Also, you sure ur waterblock is not clogged? It happens plus ur pump is damn weak any way you put it.

creidiki
05-25-2006, 11:50 AM
then why would his overclocked 165 temps still be well within acceptable range?

Levish
05-25-2006, 11:51 AM
i cant tell if its sarcasm or not (no offense)

taking off my IHS did next to nothing... this is a test result, not a random-bag drawn number. even IHSd i didnt see [much if any] over 40*C

and yeah all that was before but now its at 1.46v and the temps are suprisingly not that much better. im afraid to do 1.55v now...

IHS removal temp vary from one chip to another and the onchip sensors aren't exactly super accurate and calibrated.

You will only get the same or worse temps from removing the ihs if the waterblock is designed more for cooling the entire IHS like the maze4

This doesn't mean though that you will see any gains from removing it.

AndrewZorn
Let me put it this way. THe cpu is fine. He did not sell you a bum cpu. I had a 170 TPMW and that thing ran hotter than urs. I took the IHS and still ran at 50c. Before I was hitting 57-58c running 2.7 at 1.55volts. YOu are mad because you think the cpu is broken cause of the temp. It is not. That's the nature of Opties. If you think this is a bum cpu, why not RMA it to AMD? At least they will do thorough testing and if its bad, they send you a new one. You dont need to send them any invoices to proof of purchase. CPU running hot is not defective. CPU not running IS defective.
but isnt this way more than normal?

it just seems like if i was using stock voltage and stock cooler mid 50s could be hazardously high temps

they wont RMA for that will they?

its not sarcasm.

all im saying is that your actual temps could be just the same as before!
???

Also, you sure ur waterblock is not clogged? It happens plus ur pump is damn weak any way you put it.
regardless it kept the other one so much cooler

situman
Did he slap his 165 back in? How long ago was the 165? My current 165 is damn hot, hotter than my old 170.

Absolute_0
05-25-2006, 11:52 AM
50c on a naked core isn't the nature of Opties. Got some thermal leakage problems or something.

Could try the RMA, but with a farked up box and no heatsink i dont know how far you'd get.

The "hot" CPUs are the CCB1E/CCBBEs. Every one of THOSE i've had would easily get past 50 when i fed it volts. With IHS removed load temps drop about 10-15c on these.
The CCBWEs i've had loaded under 40c, with IHS on, with 1.4-1.5 volts. IHS removal lowers load temps around 7c maybe.

CCBBE 1.45v = 44c load
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v729/absolute035/Opty%20Dual/93c3e665.jpg

CCBWE 1.45v = 38c load
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v729/absolute035/Opty%20Dual/c42c368f.jpg
CCBWE 1.53v = 38c load on this cool 165
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v729/absolute035/Opty%20Dual/2030087a.jpg

AndrewZorn
05-25-2006, 11:52 AM
IHS removal temp vary from one chip to another and the onchip sensors aren't exactly super accurate and calibrated.

You will only get the same or worse temps from removing the ihs if the waterblock is designed more for cooling the entire IHS like the maze4

This doesn't mean though that you will see any gains from removing it.
right, removing mine helped a LITTLE...

i just threw in the fact to make sure everyone had all the info. i can assure you guys that with the IHS and a room heat like this it would never, ever go over 42*C

AndrewZorn
05-25-2006, 11:54 AM
Did he slap his 165 back in? How long ago was the 165? My current 165 is damn hot, hotter than my old 170.
165 is still here but i have a potential buyer so im hesistant to stick it back in but i might

Could try the RMA, but with a farked up box and no heatsink i dont know how far you'd get.
do they need the box? i have all the papers, and the heatsink is on the way.

Levish
05-25-2006, 11:54 AM
right, removing mine helped a LITTLE...

i just threw in the fact to make sure everyone had all the info. i can assure you guys that with the IHS and a room heat like this it would never, ever go over 42*C

if you have temperature reading device A (the 165) and temperature reading device b (the 170) unless they are both calibrated chances are they will not read the same temperatures.

AndrewZorn
05-25-2006, 11:56 AM
if you have temperature reading device A (the 165) and temperature reading device b (the 170) unless they are both calibrated chances are they will not read the same temperatures.
i thought we decided above that if one reads 'correctly' then the other one will too

like, its the board...

so if the 165 was REALLY idling at 35 and loading at 50*C, then the one i have now is idling at 45*C and loading at 63*C...

Levish
05-25-2006, 12:05 PM
if you have 2 temp probes one can read 0c as 5c and the other can read it as 2c is what my point was.

to be honest i'm not even sure what the point of this thread is,

is it that you are unhappy with temps?

considering you don't have the optimium setup i'd say that's not surprising

is it that you are wondering if 2 processors can show different temps under the same circumstances?

yes 2 processors at the same speed and vcore could possibly show different temps.

is it that you are unhappy that the processor doesn't hit 2.85ghz?

as always ymmv, if I have a 3200+ that hits 3ghz @ 1.5vcore and send it to you and you only get 2.8ghz out of it that doesn't mean anything honestly. If you want 2.8ghz get one rated for it, if you want to try your luck with overclocking try a few different chips till you get one that makes you happy.

it's not like the guy sold you a 170 that doesn't run 2.0ghz @ 1.35-1.4 vcore

AndrewZorn
05-25-2006, 12:16 PM
if you have 2 temp probes one can read 0c as 5c and the other can read it as 2c is what my point was.

to be honest i'm not even sure what the point of this thread is,

is it that you are unhappy with temps?

considering you don't have the optimium setup i'd say that's not surprising

is it that you are wondering if 2 processors can show different temps under the same circumstances?

yes 2 processors at the same speed and vcore could possibly show different temps.

is it that you are unhappy that the processor doesn't hit 2.85ghz?

as always ymmv, if I have a 3200+ that hits 3ghz @ 1.5vcore and send it to you and you only get 2.8ghz out of it that doesn't mean anything honestly. If you want 2.8ghz get one rated for it, if you want to try your luck with overclocking try a few different chips till you get one that makes you happy.

it's not like the guy sold you a 170 that doesn't run 2.0ghz @ 1.35-1.4 vcore
the point of this thread WAS, as title suggests, to see if it WAS misreading... so if thats what you believe, then say so!

im not complaining about OC results... im questioning whether the temps really are this high. because if they are, something is wrong. the seller claims they were nowhere near this high when he shipped them... which would suggest shipping damage, especially considering the packing... exactly like ive been asking/confirming...

eXa
05-25-2006, 03:11 PM
no. bad shiping doesnt suddenly raise temps 10 degres.
the thing here is that he meassured the temps with his onboard temps sensors and you meassured your temps with your onboard temp sensors. and you cant really compare temps on 2 different motherboard, they can easily show 10degres differnce!

AndrewZorn
05-25-2006, 04:17 PM
so are you saying the sensor is bad, or not?

and bad shipping could have given the IHS a smack. give me a CPU and i can guarantee you i can increase the temps without messing up the CPU...

warriorpoet
05-25-2006, 06:05 PM
so are you saying the sensor is bad, or not?

and bad shipping could have given the IHS a smack. give me a CPU and i can guarantee you i can increase the temps without messing up the CPU...
Or just give me a CPU...