PDA

View Full Version : LCD connectivity question

RPGWiZaRD
05-24-2006, 03:25 AM
Can you plug both analog and DVI-D cable to same graphics card and computer in case the graphics card has 2x DVI and my monitor has both an analog and DVI-D output and the monitor also has a "source" button to change between analog and digital. I know it would work if you connected 2 different computers but I'm a bit unsure if it would let me connect both cables to same graphics card. What do you think?

Reason I'm asking is that I'd rather use 75Hz while gaming which in 1280x1024 only works with analog and use digital when I am in windows for optimal image quality and text.

cirthix
05-24-2006, 05:12 AM
yes, it will work just fine

however, lcds dont really have a refresh rate per se, it's more of how many frames per second the controller gets, then the controller tries to adjust the panel each time. while it helps a tiny bit, it really wont be noticble. you should just use dvi for everything.

dvi is certainly capable of sxga at 75hz though, i'm not sure why you are interface limited there. have you tried forcing it?

RPGWiZaRD
05-24-2006, 05:57 AM
yes, it will work just fine

however, lcds dont really have a refresh rate per se, it's more of how many frames per second the controller gets, then the controller tries to adjust the panel each time. while it helps a tiny bit, it really wont be noticble. you should just use dvi for everything.

dvi is certainly capable of sxga at 75hz though, i'm not sure why you are interface limited there. have you tried forcing it?

Haven't tried forcing, but there's a VERY noticable difference between 75Hz and 60Hz for me (of course depends on the game too, easily noticed in old games like Unreal Tournament and Quake 3). Wonder if forcing would work, otherwise I think I'll use DVI and just play with 1024x768 and run windows in 1280x1024. 60Hz looks like it would lag to me and 75Hz it "starts" to run smooth but higher would prolly have made it even better... guess I'm no LCD person. Don't know how to force it either... didn't work with RefreshForce at least. So does any1's 17" LCD allow 75Hz for 1280x1024 in DVI-D mode?

I also tried plugging both analog and digital at same time but it wouldn't let me use digital, went to power saving mode once I get to windows, during startup it worked tho.

I'm shocked if no1 else notices difference between 60Hz and 75Hz on a LCD, for me it's like night and day, just like 60Hz to 75Hz on a CRT for example. The higher refresh rate I see a smoother gameplay, it looks like it runs faster/smoother but of course it isn't running with any higher FPS just looks like it would.

I'm so used to run 1024x768 now after 10 years CRT usage so dunno what kinda fps rates I should have with 1280x1024 and even if 1024x768 is slightly bigger for a 17" TFT comparing to CRT it's still ok to me so I guess I'll just play games DVI-D 1024x768 @ 75Hz. Otherwise I like this LG L1732P-SN monitor and the text is so crisp and clear, that has always been an important thing for me and I couldn't notice any ghosting at all (it's stated to be 4ms so I wasn't expecting any either) even in UT1 at 200% gamespeed setting and the game runs like 200fps+ with best quality settings and being a CRT fan I should easily have noticed. Of course I'm very relieved to have no dead pixels either...

Starting to like it if not more than my old CRT that died at least just as much even for gaming but that's only with 1024x768 @ 75Hz. This is my personal opinion, don't have any facts or anything but I'd say 60Hz LCD looks like 65 - 67Hz CRT (if flickering is excluded) and 75Hz LCD 80 - 82Hz CRT.

RPGWiZaRD
05-24-2006, 10:28 PM
Is it stupid to play games with a 17" TFT in 1024x768? How does it compare to a 17" CRT image quality wise, apart from the colors, are textures more sharp on the CRT?