PDA

View Full Version : Dead DFI lanp. NF4 sli-D

klootzakje
05-20-2006, 10:10 AM
hi :) ya'll

i hope that someone can help me here, im not too good at measuring and the hole science behind it, so i was hoping someone here could help me

it's all about my DFI lanparty NF4 SLI-d

to keep the story short..
the 5 and 12 v rails on my psu got together and it wasn't pretty..
chips underneath hdd's burned, and my mainboard stopped functioning, i quickly turned off the pc but offcourse that was too late.
at first i didn't know it was my psu, so i tried to turn on the pc without hdds and etc's
it didnt do anything, the psu fan went on for about 0.1 second, thats it.

now a few days later, i tested the memory in my sisters pc... dead...
i also took out the cpu and turned on the mainboard..
thats when my mainboard got smoked..

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/3633/dscn08900eq.jpg

thats a piccy made after taking the huge heatsinks off.. all of you that have (had) a DFI lanparty nf4 know which i mean..

i already asked a friend, he told me he thought these transistors are for the vcore..

i took notes of the codes on these transistors..
the nr's 1 look like this:

440 (on)
T70
N03

the (on) is a circle with "on" in it.

then the nr's 2 & 3:

PHD108NQ
03LT
PHm0449 D2

and the nr's 2 & 3 have "B" or "F" stamped in them..

the nr 1 that i pointed an arrow to, is burned, but i think i can replace it with another that i can purchase from my local hardware shop..

i'm also not very sure that it has the same code on it as the other nr's 1 have, cause it's unreadable.. but i'm asuming it is, since all these others match...

if i simply replace the transistor, it will probably go up in sparkles again, so is there anyone that knows anything i can try ?

I hope so...

if you have any idea, plz share it :)

thanx in advance,

Jochem

timpanogos
05-20-2006, 10:19 AM
nice smoke job .. so what are you asking? I think the answer is newegg.

Your not thinking of trying to fix that, right?

Chad

klootzakje
05-20-2006, 10:23 AM
offcourse i am.. :D
this mainboard survived a lot.... a fully rusted PCI-Express 16x slot is just one example...

timpanogos
05-20-2006, 10:30 AM
cost of new mb, verses cost of posible futher smoking of other components .. not worth it to me. I guess if it was for a backup machine, with cheap components that I did not care about ...

ps. thats all your power fets that got smoked there (no surprise it smoked your memory) ... who knows what else is smoked (chipset, cpu)

klootzakje
05-20-2006, 10:46 AM
haven't seen any more smoke or fire than from the pointed transistor.. offcourse something is not good somewhere... but i'm wondering if it can be fixed :)
i like this board, sentimental value :P

sealion
05-20-2006, 11:11 AM
just buy a new one and hang this sentimental board on the wall reminding you not to do whatever you did again!

klootzakje
05-20-2006, 11:14 AM
these weren't the reactions i was hoping for...:stick:

tifius
05-26-2006, 10:10 AM
seriously, buy a new one. fixing a MB is just about the hardest thing in computy fixing ( i hope anyway ). But u can always try, buy a new MOSFET from your store and replace the old one, however your nb and lots of other stuf is probably burnt aswell but if you wanna risk more hardware its your choice.

menlatin
05-27-2006, 09:20 AM
just cause it didn't smoke doesn't mean its not dead. I've killed plently of hardware which without smoke.

klootzakje
05-30-2006, 01:41 PM
since i don't have enough time to hobby on with this mobo i've sort of given up hope now...
and i understand smoke or no smoke isn't much of a deal, since smoke mostly comes from one or some transistors.
ah well.. ordered a pile of new stuff :) a set of am2 stuff... i know.. too early, but i wanted to start with something new..
thanks for the replies anyway ! :)