Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project: Portable Desktop != Laptop

I am Xtreme

Project: Portable Desktop != Laptop FINAL UPDATES MADE!!

BEFORE THE BUILD
    I got a little bored and decided to make my ultimate version of a desktop in a briefcase (a big one)

Here is a rendering of the "result" I'm looking for:

The full case in SketchUp:

Just the Acrylic frame holding all the parts in:

Parts List required

Case:
    http://www.opticsplanet.net/vanguard...n-35-case.html
    About 12lbs for 20.875 x 13.375 x 7.25 of internal space.

Monitor:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824116442
    Provides full 1080p in just 1.8" deep with VESA mounting holes and downward facing ports. (and sadly HDMI or DP is not one of them!!)

Riser Card:
    http://www.orbitmicro.com/global/pexp16-rx3-p-746.html
    Should be good enough for a 3 slot cooler if i needed something big and quiet

The rest I already have, basically check out the stuff in my sig for the other parts, but that will be changing to just 1 video card for now until I replace it depending on the 6000 cards. Stuff is coming in this week, so next weekend i start cleaning out the case and see if things can fit and with how much wiggle room. Still need to get the acrylic and I might just built it as I go instead of writing out hundreds of dimensions before hand.

DURING THE BULID
    Here is a preview of the work done in Google SketchUp.

The full case all parts being shown, although you cannot see much here

This lets you see the mess of things from the same angle. you may notice the rearanged parts from the first post. this was done so that i have more room for longer video cards, and for installing wires to the USB, ethernet, sound and video card.

Same mess, different angle

This is just the acrylic and mounting brackets and magnets (magnets are the weirdly shaped objects, the Ls are the 1" brackets). also there are 2 different colors. the brown acrylic is .220" acrylic panels that are quite strong, and quite heavy. the blue are .093" lexan, which is incredibly durable and even if it flexes the chances of breaking are next to nothing. so it was used on just 3 pieces. the bottom (which dosnt look blue) and the 2 top pieces in the back, so that i can get as much vertical space as possible. all walls and supports were the thick acrylic, along with the front top panel where the keyboard can sit.

same acrylic front right angle. you can also see a whole bunch of dimensions. bad news about sketcup, i can be accurate to 1/32nd of an inch, but it can only show 1/16ths. and i needed that extra 32nd, since .093 is 3/32nds.

A nice clean overview of the parts and walls. that big black cylinder is to represent of the pump for an H50. however its not quite exact cause the hoses come up through the top and could have posed a huge issue for space. luckally its too far to the side to matter.

Another clean image of the parts and frame from the back

This is just to show all that mounting parts needed to build it. came to 24 L brackets, 9 magnets, over 80 machine screws and nuts (some needed none, some used 3), and 70 washers.

And here is ONE photo of the real deal just to prove i really did build the thing. More will come soon enough

UPDATES AFTER THE BUILD:
    guess whats in the box

this breifcase is basically for camera equipment so it comes prebuilt with foam in dividers and locks.

this is how it looks when first opened, the mouse pad is a great way to protect the screen from any screws sticking up,
    even though none are high enough to reach the screen

the keyboard is tucked very nicely under the panel,
    it was a pain to find one 7" deep, 1" tall, sound control buttons (theres no volume anywhere but the kyboard) and gaming features.
    thank you razer!

the screen is 21.5" probably bigger than any laptop i know, and fits with about 1/4" on either side spare for some future addons
    (adjustable angle, still thinking up ideas)

this is with the 2 panels taken off and all the parts taken out.
    the panels are held on by magnents, 5 for the front, and 4 for the back one and it takes literally a few seconds to get in and get dirty.
    above the hard drives below the exhaust fan is a pocket which holds the power cord, mouse, wireless adapter and anything else thats small.

this is with the frame of the PC taken out. it only takes 1 screw to remove so the cables going to the monitor can come out from the back panel.
    then a little wiggling and the whole PC comes right out. even though almost all work can be done while its in the briefcase

from the back you can see the H50 pretty well, it fits right above all the ports and its very snug, so taking it out should not be done often.
    there is also all the wires from the power button panel and usb ports.

blurry, but gives a good idea of how much space there is for all the ports on the back of the motherboard.
    this is almost exactly 3" of room, enough for me to reach in and plug in some USB, sound, and ethernet, and i can just barely reach the second row of USB, so in theory theres 8 total that i can use.

Low angle shot of how much space there is for the H50 to fit. and at first during the blueprint stage i was scared it wouldnt fit at all. so i had to make sure the radiator was as far left as possible.

the top 2 panels, this back one is actually really flimsy due to .093" lexan is naturally flexible, and there is not much plastic left, the fan does a great job of holding it all together.

and the front panel which is much thicker .25" acrylic. its thicker so the keyboard and user can be rested ontop of it and not worry about any flexing or warping.
    and the 5th magnet was stuck on the back side to give it support in the middle. the hole on the left is for your finger to pull up on it.
    and the screws all around it were sanded down with a dremel, even though i sometimes nicked the plastic.

this is the box when empty, you can see the black foam around the outside edge which gives the acrylic "box" a very perfectly snug fit and looks appealing too.
    the bottom board is hardly seen so i wasnt too worried about cleaning that up

this was a fun peice to make. it needs to be strong enough to hold the power supply when the case is standing up,
    and it needs to have a hold large enough for all the wires,
    and cannot take too much space at the top so air can move through.
    while still having enough space for the magnets and the top panels to rest on
    it might look ugly to you guys, but there is only so much a man can do with a dremel and table saw, and its pretty strong being thick acrylic.

just what it looks like from the bottom. nothing really special needed, right now its all round headed machine screws,
    and i might in the future switch to using flush ones to save just a hair more space,
    but i dont think it will really matter much since it all fits just fine right now

this shows how much room their is for a video card. i can get anything under 11.5" long.
    and with a 3 slot riser card, i can fit some really big heatsinks under there (but i might run into issues with wire management if i go too big)

this is the keyboard fitting ontop of the case, fine for being used, but probably not recommended for long times.

same thing, keyboard on the table though

just some bios shots which are old settings. i didnt know i had mounting issues until i move everything into this case,
    so my old 24/7 setting under stock are shown, my new ones are in my sig (over 3.7ghz now with slight voltage increase)

old fans and old fan settings. new stuff is much quieter and cooler

cpu temps under load (old settings again)

gpu temps with only the cpu under load. this was important to see how much the box would heat up just from the weaker airflow it has.
    typically im around 50C idle, and 65C gaming, and furmark pushes it to 82C, furmark + cpu stress is more than i would like to use, for now

ENJOY!!
    Last edited by Manicdan; 11-04-2010 at 10:15 AM.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Mentor
    No batteries ?

I'll upload my briefcase laptop pics also but its a real briefcase not a fake one lke your
    Coming Soon

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post
    No batteries ?

I'll upload my briefcase laptop pics also but its a real briefcase not a fake one lke your
    i actually do have room to do something about that. behind the monitor is a decent amount of flat space. the panel is about .75", so theres a 1.25" gap all around the monitor except the center where the ports and mounting holes are.

i might try to do something for that later, batteries are not cheap, and if i wanted to have something able to push out 120V for just a few minutes, then its going to be some high quality stuff, or too much stuff to want to carry around.

the plan is pictures for this weekend. i have to fix the holes for the fans, which means i need a hole saw (38$ for one 4.5"!!, a 4" is only 20$). right now there are holes, and it does work, but it looks like the quality of finger painting

Xtreme Mentor
    Ok that looks like a plan, the batteries are quite expensive but i have a contact in Hong Kong who is willing to provide me with some nicd batteries "Flat pouch" so if you are interested tell me. The problem is a flat SMPS which i cant find any where so as to handle the DC to DC conversion.

The portable computer you are building is quite a lot powerful than what i have i think you may have a cooling problem, are you sure the H50 can handle it.
    Coming Soon

I am Xtreme
    my brother and i were going to build an electric cart for racing that would have 2x the power/weight ratio as a formula 1 car. the batteries we were going to use were by a123 systems, but unfortunately they NEVER sell it retail. some power drills have them, so buying their battery packs on ebay is the best way to obtain a small quantity of them. but they also have a some that are good for 50Wh of power and flat, but can put out 1500W peak and weight half a Kg. basically its a laptop battery good enough to start a car (not a joke, someone actually was able to start their car with one). the cost for one is about 50$, and has to be shipped by boat from china (not allowed on planes). and the second issue. they are only 2.5v cells.

the computer is complete and i WILL have pictures done in the next 2 days, and then start posting all the stuff this week. but what i can tell you is that it consumes 130W idle+30W for monitor, and in light gaming its around 200W without monitor, so i think peak would be 300W total, unless i build profiles that downclock for when im running just batteries.

so i would need atleast 4 of them, and i think they could fit. and that would give me 200Wh and that would be good for atleast a half hour of use. IF i can figure out how to get it from 10v to something usable.

OR i have to pick up something smaller and round: PHET PE-1150, which are good for the power output i need, (their average Amps out would be more than enough once i get 48 of them to reach 120v) but next dumb question, what about vdroop? most of these things can do like 3.2v but are down to 2.5 from a heavy load. so then i wonder if im going to need some kind of converter, or just have to know EXACTLY how many to get to equal 120V.

alot stuff to consider thats way out of my risk tolerance, lol. how did you create your own battery pack?

I am Xtreme
    This post was added to the first one
    Last edited by Manicdan; 11-04-2010 at 10:06 AM.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by bundymania View Post
    That looks interesting !

But i was wondering, if you get better ambient temps, when cutting a hole above the PSU, like over the Radiator ?!
    no room. the entire front above the video card and psu is for the keyboard.

btw actual pics are done and i will be uploading them....

now....

Xtreme 3D Team
    That's simply amazing.
    I remember someone asking me about four years ago on another forum where to find a PCI-E flexible riser card because he was planning to do a similar thing.

How much money and time did it cost you? :o
    Smile

I am Xtreme
    this post was added to the first one
    Last edited by Manicdan; 11-04-2010 at 10:06 AM.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    That's simply amazing.
    I remember someone asking me about four years ago on another forum where to find a PCI-E flexible riser card because he was planning to do a similar thing.

How much money and time did it cost you? :o
    if you had to start from scratch, meaning you have no case, keyboard, monitor, etc. then its really just 150$ more than a regular 100$ case, but if you like a 250$ case, its technically the same price

ignoring cost for tools.

MY COST, was actually well over 600$ cause i needed a few new tools, one being a 200$ table saw (theres a good story for that later too)

I am Xtreme
    complete overhaul of the initial post, which contained my previous updates and captions to the pictures.

Xtreme Member
    whoa! awesomeness..

how did you manage to horizontally load the gfx card ?

I am Xtreme
    riser card, built for servers and come in a million varieties
    http://www.orbitmicro.com/global/pexp16-rx3-p-746.html

Xtreme Addict
    nice project! do you use it for Lan?
    Vishera 8320@ 5ghz | Gigabyte UD3 | 8gb TridentX 2400 c10| Powercolor 6850 | Thermalight Silver Arrow (bench Super KAZE 3k) | Samsung 830 128gbx2 Raid 0| Fractal case

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomasis View Post
    nice project! do you use it for Lan?
    this was an idea from a while ago, just had to find the right case and wait for monitors to get thinner.
    and i was reminded of the idea of doing it recently since i will be playing WoW with some co-workers, and will probably be playing each weekend at their house.
    so it was time to build the most portable desktop ever (well almost i still think theres a little more to be done)

LAN parties would be nice to go too. but i dont really know of many right near me.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    This is awesome.. Mad props! Very well thought out too!

i7-2600K @ 4806Mhz 102.3x47 1.368v LinX stable
    MSI P67 GD-80
    16Gb Corsair 8-8-8-24 1T 818.2Mhz
    MSI GTX560Ti 1005/2250 1.062v
    Crucial m4 256Gb SSD
    Corsair TX850 | 64bit WIN7 Pro
    Custom watercooling
    47" 1080p LCD | Onkyo 876/ Polk 5.1 surround

Xtreme Guru
    haha this is epic... All u need now is a Battery like a lappy, otherwise this isnt really a laptop as it requires power

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny87au View Post
    otherwise this isnt really a laptop as it requires power
    Your statement is hollow, laptops do require power, desktop pc's need power, everything needs power, even humans need power to work (food for heart).

Anyway, fantastic build

::: Desktop's - Intel *** Intel 2
    2 x Xeon E5-2687W *** Intel i7 3930k
    EVGA SR-X *** Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    96Gb (12x8Gb) G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2400MHz 10-12-12-2N *** 32Gb (8x4Gb) G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2666 10-12-12-2N
    3 x Zotac GTX 680 4Gb + EK-FC680 GTX Acetal *** 3 x EVGA GeForce GTX780 + EK Titan XXL Edition waterblocks.
    OCZ RevoDrive 3 x4 960Gb *** 4 x Samsung 840 Pro 512Gb
    Avermedia LiveGamer HD capture card
    Caselabs TX10-D
    14 x 4 TB WD RE4 in RAID10+2Spare
    4 x Corsair AX1200

::: Basement DataCenter :::
    [*] Fibreoptic connection from operators core network
    [*] Dell PowerConnect 2848 Ethernet Switch [*] Network Security Devices by Cisco
    [*] Dell EqualLogic PS6500E 96Tb iSCSI SAN (40 2Tb Drives + 8 Spare Drives, Raid10+Spare Configuration, 40Tb fail safe storage)
    [*] Additional SAN machines with FusionIO ioDrive Octal's (4 total Octals).
    [*] 10 x Dual Xeon X5680, 12Gb DDR3, 2x100Gb Vertex 2 Pro Raid1 [*] 4 x Quad Xeon E7-4870, 96Gb DDR3, 2x100Gb Vertex 2 Pro Raid1

[*] Monster UPS unit incase power grid failure backed up by diesel powered generator.

I am Xtreme
    thanks guys

a few things have changed since the photos were put up:
    i dont have it in the case right now, its a perfectly fine working destkop once the box is out of the briefcase, so no monitor in my way, and no stress on the hinges,
    the back left top panel now has a hinge on it, designed for a cabinet door so it holds open making it so much easier to reach things back there, like RAM or USB ports,
    i have 2x scythe gentletyphoon AP15s instead of the corsair stock fan and a zalman red led one,
    and i have the whole thing sleeved up, which only included the USB cables, power and LED lights for the front panel, and the fans. the rest already is black or nicely managed.

still to do:
    make something that lets me hold the screen at an angle i want, i have an idea, but i need to do some number crunching and 3D modeling first before i drill any new holes

maybe to do:
    make a battery pack for it, i can find some batteries but its not cheap.
    i have a dead APC that i have no idea whats wrong with it, but that might be worth breaking to see if i can rig it to work with my own batteries.
    and weight reduction.
    removing the 3.5" HDD and getting a larger SSD is on a future list, but no rush since i have one and ill probably wait until 256GB is going for 200$ before a second,
    the other idea is to find a light weight power supply that is also smaller, most being over 6" deep while my current one is like 5.7" gives me that extra room for the plugs.
    but before i replace it i would need to find the perfect one, thats also a 90+ psu so if i do get batteries they would have the least drain on them possible.

when its time to upgrade to AM3+ im going with a micro ATX since the bottom few PCI slots cannot be used (i actually can fit 2 GPUs in there if the second one is a single slot cooler and in the 3rd slot instead of 4th
    also low voltage ddr3 for some power savings, skipping 40nm gpus and going right to 28nm (whatever the caymen shrinks too is enough for me), and probably a 2 module 4 core BD thats inexpensive

i wish i could have built this with stamped and poweder coated steel, it could have been perfect from the start, a little larger space due to how thin that stuff is, and lighter, while having all the same functionality

Xtreme Mentor
    This is very cool!

Lots of work went into this briefcase! Have you tried getting on plane with it already? Does it classify as hand luggage or it's too big/heavy for it?

Great job
    RiG1: Ryzen 7 1700 @4.0GHz 1.39V, Asus X370 Prime, G.Skill RipJaws 2x8GB 3200MHz CL14 Samsung B-die, TuL Vega 56 Stock, Samsung SS805 100GB SLC SDD (OS Drive) + 512GB Evo 850 SSD (2nd OS Drive) + 3TB Seagate + 1TB Seagate, BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W

RiG2: HTPC AMD A10-7850K APU, 2x8GB Kingstone HyperX 2400C12, AsRock FM2A88M Extreme4+, 128GB SSD + 640GB Samsung 7200, LG Blu-ray Recorder, Thermaltake BACH, Hiper 4M880 880W PSU

SmartPhone Samsung Galaxy S7 EDGE
    XBONE paired with 55'' Samsung LED 3D TV

I've been wanting to do this for years now. Basic use would be for lan parties and the such. But, since I don't do lans very often and money is an issue I've never gotten around to it.
    My roommate got annoyed that you beat me to it and told me I should still do it, but with a smaller briefcase. lol

Xtreme Guru
    SFF briefcase

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightman View Post
    This is very cool!

Lots of work went into this briefcase! Have you tried getting on plane with it already? Does it classify as hand luggage or it's too big/heavy for it?

Great job
    eventually i will try to take it on a plane, im sure they will really hate when it has batteries and you can turn it on without being plugged in, lol. as far as carry on rules, i think it can fit in overhead and the weight isnt that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by IFMU View Post
    I've been wanting to do this for years now. Basic use would be for lan parties and the such. But, since I don't do lans very often and money is an issue I've never gotten around to it.
    My roommate got annoyed that you beat me to it and told me I should still do it, but with a smaller briefcase. lol
    i did build one into a 4" tall version, basically no monitor or keyboard slot, and all you have to do is use server parts. 2U riser card, 2U heatsink, and rip open the power supply and make a air hole for it. i still have that case sitting next to me, but its been completely gutted. the cpu was from the 90nm days

cost isnt that horrible, this one was expensive because it has a few "layers" to it. but a small version with no monitor its really just the cost of the case and some panel to mount it all too (i used steel cause its so thin, then just velcro-ed it to the base so i can take it out to work on)

Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    SFF briefcase
    whats SFF stand for?

i might call this the SNUK

Suitcase Nested Ultraportable Komputer

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    whats SFF stand for?

i might call this the SNUK

Suitcase Nested Ultraportable Komputer
    Small Form Factor
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast