Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vid Card Saver

Banned

Vid Card Saver

a micro leak recently cost me 2 8800 ultras

Im not sure if this is a new idea, but ive made a drip tray which will hopefully prevent this costly up in future.

Just screwed a bit of acryan blue acrylic to the top of the card

I am Xtreme
    looks good mate!

iirc i seen bundymania do that awhile back

Your very handy with the acrylic hehe
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    No, I think he had a date tonight...

He and his EK Supreme are out for a night on the town!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Oh waow that actually looks really good

Shame this probably can't be done on a GTX280 due to the ram chips on the back
    Last edited by Bobly; 07-10-2008 at 07:06 AM.
    Sub-Silentio: Stable 3.83Ghz:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz ....... | Lian Li V2010 ........... | DDC3.2 w/ XSPC Top ... | Bios .. 1104 |
    | EVGA GeForce GTX 280 1024MB ........... | Zalman ZM1000-HP ........ | TFC 480 .............. | Vcpu . 1.36V |
    | Asus Striker II Extreme nForce 790i ... | Razer Lachesis .......... | Zalman ZM-F3 ......... | V nb . 1.50V |
    | Corsair XMS3 DHX DDR-1600 7-7-7-20 .... | Razer Lycosa ............ | D-Tek Fuzion V2 ...... | V sb . 1.50V |
    | WD 300GB Velociraptor ................. | Hyundai W240D-PVA 24" ... | EK-FC280 ............. | Vmem . 1.90V |
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All suggestions welcome - Overclocking tips here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/...d.php?t=208522

Won't that like... heat up the back of the video card like crazy ?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    By the way while I'm at it, I'm thinking of getting the same board and was wondering what the clearance is like between the GPU and the Supreme FX sound card, it looks here like the acrylic barely fits ^^ Damn I which the GTX 200 didn't have ram chips on the back :P I guess one could cut holes in the acrylic to fit small heatsinks through them?

Edit: Something like these: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=HS-014-ZA

Probably defeat the purpose of the acrylic plate unless there's an air tight seal between the ramsinks and the plate I guess...
    Last edited by Bobly; 07-10-2008 at 08:15 AM.
    | Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz ....... | Lian Li V2010 ........... | DDC3.2 w/ XSPC Top ... | Bios .. 1104 |
    | EVGA GeForce GTX 280 1024MB ........... | Zalman ZM1000-HP ........ | TFC 480 .............. | Vcpu . 1.36V |
    | Asus Striker II Extreme nForce 790i ... | Razer Lachesis .......... | Zalman ZM-F3 ......... | V nb . 1.50V |
    | Corsair XMS3 DHX DDR-1600 7-7-7-20 .... | Razer Lycosa ............ | D-Tek Fuzion V2 ...... | V sb . 1.50V |
    | WD 300GB Velociraptor ................. | Hyundai W240D-PVA 24" ... | EK-FC280 ............. | Vmem . 1.90V |
    All suggestions welcome - Overclocking tips here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/...d.php?t=208522

Xtreme Member
    Great idea!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by IanY View Post
    i split some rubber gromets and used them as spacers so the acrylic sits off the card.... it doesnt seem to affect the temps
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobly View Post
    By the way while I'm at it, I'm thinking of getting the same board and was wondering what the clearance is like between the GPU and the Supreme FX sound card, it looks here like the acrylic barely fits ^^
    its tight but fits ok.... I might make one for the sound card too
    Last edited by b@llz0r; 07-10-2008 at 01:37 PM.

You may be better off with plastic coating spay like the phase and ln2 peeps use.

Xtreme Member
    Hmm, even with the holes for the heatsinks it would provide s bit of protection, particularly if you carved channels into the back of it to drain the fluid off someplace relatively safe. Of course putting a bunch of ugly channels in the acrylic would ruin the look of it, but it would save the card unless a some of the water landed directly on one of the heatsinks, or the flow was greater than the channels could handle.

Xtreme 3D Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by orclev View Post
    Hmm, even with the holes for the heatsinks it would provide s bit of protection, particularly if you carved channels into the back of it to drain the fluid off someplace relatively safe. Of course putting a bunch of ugly channels in the acrylic would ruin the look of it, but it would save the card unless a some of the water landed directly on one of the heatsinks, or the flow was greater than the channels could handle.
    actually the channels could add to the glow effect and route the water away. the flat piece isn't a great Idea as the water will " Wick " over the edge and get betweehn the Acrylic and the card.
    QX 9650 5ghz with 1.55v 4.8ghz with 1.5v 24/7 in a VAPOLI V-2000B+ Single stage phase cooling.
    DFI LP LT X-38 T2R
    2X HD4850's water cooled , volt modded
    Thermaltake 1KW Psu
    4x Seagate 250GB in RAID 0
    8GB crucial ballistix ram

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
    actually the channels could add to the glow effect and route the water away. the flat piece isn't a great Idea as the water will " Wick " over the edge and get betweehn the Acrylic and the card.
    That's exactly what I was thinking....not unusual at all to see fluids wick around an edge and flow underneath. I think the waterproofing spray suggested previously has merit, though.

Papa: Q6600 @ 3.6GHz @ 1.34V, Asus Maximus Formula, 4 x 2GB Mushkin Redline DDR2-1000, Asus HD4870, Antec Sig. 850, Lian-Li/RF case....WC'd via D-Tek FuZion w/quad nozzle, EK S-Max on NB, Laing DDC2 w/XSPC top, 2 x Feser 240's & one TC 120.1 rads.

Momma: Xeon 3210 @ 2.8GHz, Gigabyte P965-DS3, 4 x 1GB Ballistix DDR2-800, Asus HD3870 TOP, Enhance ENP5150-GH, Lian-Li/RF case, HK Champagne 2.1, Xigmatek HDT cooler

I am Xtreme
    That looks absolutely stunning! I hope you won't get mad if I steal your idea.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    There are dozens of people who already did the same thing over the last few years. So I see no problem if you steal his idea

Quote Originally Posted by IanY View Post
    I would like to know too.
    >i5-3570K
    >Asrock Z77E-ITX Wifi
    >Asus GTX 670 Mini
    >Cooltek Coolcube Black
    >CM Silent Pro M700
    >Crucial M4 128Gb Msata
    >Cooler Master Seidon 120M
    Hell yes its a mini-ITX gaming rig!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C'DaleRider View Post
    That's exactly what I was thinking....not unusual at all to see fluids wick around an edge and flow underneath. I think the waterproofing spray suggested previously has merit, though.
    Would a groove around the underside of the acrylic say, about a cm in from the edge and maybe 2 cm wide prevent the wicking (fluid would collect along the edge and drip off)? Would have to have the acrylic be larger than the graphics card by a good 3 cm or so all around, but it might allow it to still work. Then again the spray idea sounds a lot more practical even if it isn't quite as visually appealing.
    Last edited by orclev; 07-10-2008 at 02:44 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
    The channels could look sweet if done right... they would glow blue

I just packed up the side closest to the motherboard so the water runs away

I actually got to test it this morning... I was dicking around with my tubing before work, rushing, and hooked the tubes up wrong (left one end completely open, dont know where my brain was at)... water poured out and onto the card, it just ran off into the bottom of the case

Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    Go ahead... If this post can save even one person the pain of a dead vid card ill be happy

crappy pic... but I was thinking of getting it laser etched with some kinda graphic which could incorporate the channels you guys suggested

perhaps I should add some guttering and a down-pipe
    Last edited by b@llz0r; 07-10-2008 at 03:43 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Is there a 'How to..' I can read somewhere on how to do this mod?
    brilliant idea!
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

Chasing After Diety
    heat is gonna build up under that acrylic.

And your mosfets might get hot unless your FC it.

my 2 cents.

EDIT: oh it is FC'd sorry, thought u mcw60'd it!

Good JOB!
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tiro_uspsss View Post
    Is there a 'How to..' I can read somewhere on how to do this mod?
    brilliant idea!
    Its quite simple

cut a piece of acrylic to the size of your card, i used a knife and ruler to score a line across the sheet then just snapped it off, this gives a good finish on the edge too and doesnt require sanding with wet n dry

Drill some holes in the acrylic sheet that line up with the holes on the card

I used M3 bolts with washers either side of the assembly with some rubber gromets as spacers so the acrylic sits off the card, for the back ones i used a whole gromet, the front ones I split the gromet and just used one half to get a run off away from the motherboard.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    heat is gonna build up under that acrylic.

And your mosfets might get hot unless your FC it.

my 2 cents.

EDIT: oh it is FC'd sorry, thought u mcw60'd it!

Good JOB!
    It doesnt seem to affect the heat of card... I'll run some tests when my replacement 8800s arrive

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Sorry if this is a bit off-topic but why did you choose to not water cool your NB using the Fusion Block? Have you found it to cool the motherboard enough already just with air cooling?

Xtreme Member
    If nothing else for those wanting to do this to your card. You could always cut it a bit short to fit next to the RAM and then add some risers like 1" of 3/4" to have some sort of airflow on the top of the card. You could also add some sort of lip around the border of the acrylic to prevent any water that may have leaked from eventually dripping onto the card and or the board.

-yonton228/timmy
    "Man, I wish my country wasnt run by liberal mangina's that piss their pants at the sight of guns..."-turtletrax

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobly View Post
    Sorry if this is a bit off-topic but why did you choose to not water cool your NB using the Fusion Block? Have you found it to cool the motherboard enough already just with air cooling?
    Im still trying to get my S2E stable, I think i have ram issues... I plan on running some tests in the future S2E Air V Fusion V EK Blocks

Xtreme Addict
    Looks pretty sweet, although to me, it feels too much like planning for a failure. A pound of cure, you might say, when the ounce of prevention will make sure it's never needed in the first place. That, and I'm partial to a fan blowing straight across the back of my video cards for that extra bit of cooling.

I wonder what it would look like if you had a thicker piece, and you put a few holes for LED's in it? From the perspective of the onlooker, you could colour your video card whatever colour you wanted.
    i7 2600K | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | GTX Titan | Corsair DDR3-2133

Xtreme Addict
    I just found these pics. Looks cool doesn't it?

>i5-3570K
    >Asrock Z77E-ITX Wifi
    >Asus GTX 670 Mini
    >Cooltek Coolcube Black
    >CM Silent Pro M700
    >Crucial M4 128Gb Msata
    >Cooler Master Seidon 120M
    Hell yes its a mini-ITX gaming rig!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ownage View Post
    I just found these pics. Looks cool doesn't it?

[IMG/]http://i28.tinypic.com/28tjfba.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG/]http://i29.tinypic.com/15f0j9x.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG/]http://i26.tinypic.com/2q35c1s.jpg[/IMG]

Great idea
    ~~~~~~~~water ed ~~~~~~~~~~
    Sry 4 my english
    http://galeriawc.pl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast