Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 714151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: P55-UD6 socket burn

Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    Lotes.

I think this is far from over yet. Question is what is really causing this now.....1156 power design? Faulty cpus? or intels 1156 socket spec?

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.p...63#post6295863
    here is the initial autopsy of this board:

too inconclusive maybe, but other than the soot in the crack line depth , if the crack only developed due to heat than it should be at the higher end area where its thinner and closer to the cpu pad (where it should be hottest) and not at the fat end.

c[_]
    the lower "fat" area would receive most of the stress as it flexes the most before the mounting is complete (the bowed area flexing will cause it more stress as well) and may also already be stressed from the stamping process (assuming thats what is used - stamp tons of pins from a sheet)

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Brilliant Idiot
    Are you saying that possibly pin fatigue or defective pins lardarse?

That in theory could definitely create resistance, resistance = heat causing domino effect.

Same thing as a bad connection.
    Last edited by chew*; 11-11-2009 at 09:20 PM.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

im saying even autopsy cant tell much , still all sorts of possible deductions it seems

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by LardArse View Post
    im saying even autopsy cant tell much , still all sorts of possible deductions it seems
    It's really odd that that board burnt in a diff location.

I wonder if it has the same pin designation.

Edit: looking closely at the pics now I notice the contact points are still shiny which denotes that the "resistance" or poor connection was not cpu side.

Any way you can remove the actual socket without disturbing to much?
    Last edited by chew*; 11-11-2009 at 09:31 PM.
    heatware chew*

@raju

hi,

did you noticed the burning problem on a P55 Classified?
    System Specs
    CPU: Intel Core i5 750
    Motherboard: EVGA P55 Classified 200
    Memory: 2x2GB GEIL EVO ONE 2133MHz
    Power Supply: PC P&C 910W Silencer
    Graphics: XFX HD 5870 1024MB
    Hard Drives: 80GB SSD Intel Postville
    Cooling: Corsair H50
    Sound: Onboard
    Case: Corsair Obsidian 800D
    Monitor: Dell 2709W
    O/S & Misc Stuff: Windows 7 64Bit

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by RNeon View Post
    @raju

hi,

did you noticed the burning problem on a P55 Classified?
    No.

heheh just met the LOTES FAE to discuss again, Raja I asked the cute Sales lady to speak to you on my msn but she's scared

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeghoofd View Post
    Talk to Hicookie then, this is what we officially got at the Giga event as explenation for this... you don't have to believe me... there was a bad batch of sockets, which tended to deform slightly under heat/cold and massive Vcore use : this leading to bad contacts : even more heat generated. End result : finally socket burn... and damaged CPU's
    the pins should never get hot to begin with... if they get hot then something is already wrong. i dont know sht about socket designs but the pins getting hot sounds more like the problem, not the plastic being too weak to hold the hot pins in place...

Quote Originally Posted by massman View Post
    Doesn't that make sense?
    Pins are attached to socket plastic; pins get hot and heat up plastic. Plastic can't hold heat and melts.
    why do they get hot to begin with? unless the socket starts to melt at 50C i dont see how the plastic is the main problem...

interesting autopsy pics shamino, thx for sharing!
    if the pins break or bend because they are too thin or stamped out of the metal sheet in a bad way, or soldered to the board in a bad way... that would explain everything... they bend or break and still make contact, but barely, which heats them up, plastic melts, which then causes a cascade effect of more pins bending or breaking...

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by LardArse View Post

heheh just met the LOTES FAE to discuss again, Raja I asked the cute Sales lady to speak to you on my msn but she's scared
    Lol, tell her I'll play nice..

Wanna look under my kilt?
    Bet thats what ya say to allllll the girls
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    or soldered to the board in a bad way... that would explain everything... they bend or break and still make contact, but barely, which heats them up, plastic melts, which then causes a cascade effect of more pins bending or breaking...
    This is why I'm curious whats going on under the socket.

From what lardarse posted the concentration point seems to be further in the socket than at the tip where pins contact cpu.

This is really weird and has my curiosity peaked.
    Last edited by chew*; 11-12-2009 at 07:26 AM.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Addict
    I wonder if there is any correlation between using dielectric in socket and not using any at all ...

Or has there been any burn with dielectric in socket ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PENT E8400 batch #814A014 ...4.3 at 1.34v~4.7 at 1.45v
    FOXCONN MARS
    COOLIT Eliminator 7*c idle~27~38*c load $95bucks !
    BUFFALO FireStix's ddr2-800 do 1200 eazy at 2.1v
    OCZ 2x2 kit pc2 8500 - 1066 @1069 atm
    Quattro 1000W
    Radeon 2-4850's in crossfire
    OCZ Vertex SSD thanks Tony!
    ALL PIPED INTO HOUSE AIRCOND ;}
    *QUANTUM FORCE* saaya & sham rocks !
    *REAL TEMP*
    At least you've got some Xtreme software now for working in Xtreme situations! "Unclewebb" rocks !
    *MEMSET* Felix rocks !
    *SUPER TEC MAN* UncleJimbo rocks !
    OVERCLOCKERS MAG..http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=197660

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If it were the socket poorly conected I would think that at least one manufacturer could get it right as the boards are not made at the same place.

If no burns with dielectric grease have been found........possible reasoning could be that the dielectric grease is keeping the pins cool and helping dissipated the heat from the over heating pins. If the pins were even to start to glow red from to much draw it would weaken the pins and eventually result in failure.
    Cooler Master 110 case w/window and cold cathode/Sony E540
    I7 920@4.4Ghz 210x21 Megahalems
    Gygabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
    OCZ 6Gb DDR3 1600
    XFX ATI 5770 960/1400
    Seagate Barracuda 1.5tb
    Lite-On DVD RW iHAS220-08/Sony Optiarc AD-7190S
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750

That's my 2008 Street Glide.

Xtreme Member
    This is the biggest WTF in along time for INTEL and he's partners.

So, if foxconn haven't responsability, who is it? Intel, manufacturer? user? all of them?.

i5, the worst upgrade EVER!. Sell it all and buy x58 and i7

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Just to add I'm in a similar situation, I'll explain.

I have installed 4GB of RAM (2x2GB) in slots A1 & B1 as per the manual, but the Bios & OS using Windows 7 64bit only sees "1.99 GB Usable."

The manual says I can only use either A1 OR B1 to boot, so I tried slot A1 on it’s own and the system boots showing 2GB of RAM in the Bios & Windows - Correct, so now if I use B1 on it’s own the system will not boot up with any 4 sticks of RAM I try using - I get AMI BIOS POST CODE: EA which isn't in the Manual to explain what’s wrong – the RAM works perfectly in another system by the way.

Now if I populate all 4 RAM DIMM slots 8GB of RAM (4 x2GB) I have 4GB out of 8GB show in Bios & Windows.

I then began to switch out RAM & found that if I put RAM in slots A1 & A2 - 4GB of RAM (2x2GB) I have 4GB of RAM show correctly, but using slots B1 & B2 fail to show any RAM, so it must be the two faulty DIMM slots out of a process of elimination.

I did some more investigating of this problem & it seems that the issue can arise to misaligned pins, bent pins, missing pins on the socket.

Upon close inspection of the socket this is what I found, all the other pins are totally fine nothing wrong.

I've stated this in my RMA which has been recieved back today to where I purchased, I will let you know the outcome but I'm not very confident.

I'm really really worried that a Novatech Tech/Engineer will just say "ahhh end-user damage, warranty not covered" because Scan & Ebuyer have done this with customers I have looked it up! OcUK have replaced. (omg amazed!!)

With the amount of exact same problems arising I think theirs more to it than it seems, I'll probally take further action if that is the outcome as I simply cannot afford to replace the motherboard.
    Last edited by Nelly; 11-16-2009 at 07:56 AM.
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz MSI Z77 MPower G.Skill Trident 8GB 2400C10
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8GB @ 1784/4004MHz Corsair HX 750 PSU
    Samsung 830 256GB Creative ZxR Thermalright Silver Arrow
    NEC 24WMGX3 24" TFT Fractal Design Define S Win 7/10 64bit

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So,there is nothing that you,as an end-user,could do to avoid this from happening?
    Over here there is definitely not a vast selection of motherboards to choose from,only Asus and GB.
    All Asus boards use Foxconn's sockets,but I have heard that after this GB switched over to Lotes - how to
    know whether socket is Lotes-made?
    My first pick was P7P55D Pro,but then I heard they are all Foxconn.Then I decided to buy GB P55-UD6,it is overall better board
    I suppose,some great OC with her I saw,and then I notice this thread and realize that all started with UD6

Is there any way to stay on the safe side?Clamp the socket and then carefully examine pads on CPU for pin-to-pad contact?
    Does this problem occur only in extreme conditions (ln2,phase) or normal day to day usage,too?

Quote Originally Posted by TOOL_CHILE View Post
    This is the biggest WTF in along time for INTEL and he's partners.

So, if foxconn haven't responsability, who is it? Intel, manufacturer? user? all of them?.

i5, the worst upgrade EVER!. Sell it all and buy x58 and i7
    Yep, AMD really missed an opportunity there :/ It has been more than a year since Intel released I7 and AMD still has nothing to show in this class. Now, if you're not sure if faulty (?) P55 is a good choice, what else do you have? More expensive X58 So in both cases Intel and Foxconn get your money.

Xtreme Addict
    Im interested to know which manufacturers are doing RMAs for burned sockets and which are blaming everyone else.
    MB Reviewer for HWC
    Team OCX Bench Team

Quote Originally Posted by žile View Post
    So,there is nothing that you,as an end-user,could do to avoid this from happening?
    Over here there is definitely not a vast selection of motherboards to choose from,only Asus and GB.
    All Asus boards use Foxconn's sockets,but I have heard that after this GB switched over to Lotes - how to
    know whether socket is Lotes-made?
    My first pick was P7P55D Pro,but then I heard they are all Foxconn.Then I decided to buy GB P55-UD6,it is overall better board
    I suppose,some great OC with her I saw,and then I notice this thread and realize that all started with UD6

Is there any way to stay on the safe side?Clamp the socket and then carefully examine pads on CPU for pin-to-pad contact?
    Does this problem occur only in extreme conditions (ln2,phase) or normal day to day usage,too?
    This issue, is inadmissible... I get some weeks ago a P7P55D Deluxe + i5 750 and, until the moment, my fear is too much, I couldn't mount it in my system...

Right now, I will put for sale in our local Ebay (www.mercadolivre.com.br). So, I reading about Rampage Gene II + i7 920...

Quote Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
    Im interested to know which manufacturers are doing RMAs for burned sockets and which are blaming everyone else.
    Me too...
    Last edited by So_BAD; 11-18-2009 at 02:20 AM.
    CM 690 II Advanced - - ┐ ┌ x6 1055T @ 3.7GHz - - ┐ ┌ Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 ┐ ┌ Corsair Dominator 4GB 1600MHz C9 ┐
    HIS Radeon HD 5850 1GB ┤ ├ XFX 850 Watts modular ┤ ├ Seagate Barracuda 1TB -┤ ├ Seagate 320GB 2,5" - - Hotswap - ┤
    └ ACER - Aspire AS2920 - ┘ └ Intel -- C2D T5550 -- ┘ └ Kingston -- 4GB 800MHz ┘ └ Intel X3100 256MB 12,1" WSGA - - ┘

Desktop Intel: GMC R3-Corona Watercooled | Asus Ramapage GENE II | Core i7 920 Rev. D0 | G.Skill Trident 6GB 2000MHz | XFX GTS250 1GB + MCW60 Rev. 2 | Corsair HX620W | Seagate 7200.12 1TB | Samsung 2232BW 22"
    Mobile PC1: Acer AS2920 | T5550 | 4GB DDR2 800 | 12,1" WXGA | 250GB | X3100 | WebCam 1.3MP | DVD-RW 16x | MS Notebook Mouse 3000
    Pocket PC Phone/Office: HTC TyTN II | WI-FI | GPS | Bluetooth |3G/GPRS/EDGE/HSDPA/UMTS | MicroSDHC 16GB | QWERTY Keyboard

PIfection
    okay so i havnt read the whole thread so forgive me if i am double posting information, but here are two seemingly identical dfi p55 boards, one is an old revision, second is the new one

old revision

new revision

seems this is DFIs approach to this problem..

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah most manufacturers seem to be switching from foxconn socket on their newer boards. They should do a recall on it TBH, like car manufacturers do if there is a defective part.
    MB Reviewer for HWC
    Team OCX Bench Team

Brilliant Idiot
    Pro can you pull the covers so we can see the socket mold?
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Member
    I'm here with a bit of a problem....in the process of trying to build a system for a friend that'll mainly be busy editing/encoding videos so should be rather high load on the cpu for long periods. Downside is I have to keep it as cheap as possible...so I can't really go higher than p55 & i5
    I'm also limited a bit by the site I want to order from, they only have gigabyte P55A boards that (from what I read here) are foxconn free.

Basically my question is this :
    Can I stick to a P55-UD3 (or another board in same pricerange) or should I really go for P55A-UD4 that costs about €50 more? (ps : she doesnt want me to overclock it either)
    System 1 (mine):
    CPU: i7 920 D0 stable at 4.0 GHz cooled by Scythe Mugen 2000
    GPU: PowerColor HD5850 (950/1250 1.2V)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Memory: 6GB DDR3 GeiL @ 1528 MHz
    System 2 (gf's):
    CPU: i7 920 D0 currently at 4.2 GHz cooled by Noctua NH-D14 (needs more tweaking/testing)
    GPU: Club3D HD5850 (awaiting OC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R Memory: 6GB DDR3 Corsair @ 1600 MHz

Very interesting and disturbing info's here, especially bad for me because, roughly 3 weeks ago I put together a system for the Wife using this same motherboard.

System Config:
    i5-750, Gigabyte P55-UD6(yes foxconn socket with smaller side-tabs on latch, box says rev.1), 2x4gb Corsair Dominator ddr3-1600, GTX 275, Prolimatech Meghalems rev.2 w/2 120mm fans, TX750w, Vertex 60gb, caviar black 1tb, HAF932.

She play's most of the "heavier" games, GTA4, Crysis, etc.
    Some video encoding will be done on this system as well.

I need an educated guess/opinion please.
    Do you think this setup is still going to be prone to socket burn running at bone-stock settings, but relatively high/max cpu loads?
    I know this is probably a silly thing to consider after all that's been said already but, doesn't the heatsink/mount help apply positive pressure to the cpu and clamp?

Thanks guys.

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 714151617181920 ... LastLast