Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Abit AX78 + Phenom II beta Bios on Route

Xtreme Member
    i ordered a 7750 yesterday hope it will run on my ax78,anyone got one running on theirs yet?
    PH II 550 x2@X4B50 3.2 1.35v
    M4A79X-EVO
    2x2 corsair 1600 Dominator
    LITE-ON 16X DVD BURNER
    HIS 5770
    swiftech mcr220,apogee gt,mcw30,mcp655,micro-res
    PCP&C 610 silencer
    black stacker 810

Banned
    im not sure if the 7750 is detected as a phenom, i will try and find out, what is your HT speed?

on a possitive note, guess what i got today?

yep, here it is, and need to wait till the kids are in bed to stick it in my beloved AX78.

i will post some results soon

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    im not sure if the 7750 is detected as a phenom, i will try and find out, what is your HT speed?

yep, here it is, and need to wait till the kids are in bed to stick it in my beloved AX78.

Nice!

You have very promising batch number
    Have a good time tweaking new CPU!!
    RiG1: Ryzen 7 1700 @4.0GHz 1.39V, Asus X370 Prime, G.Skill RipJaws 2x8GB 3200MHz CL14 Samsung B-die, TuL Vega 56 Stock, Samsung SS805 100GB SLC SDD (OS Drive) + 512GB Evo 850 SSD (2nd OS Drive) + 3TB Seagate + 1TB Seagate, BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W

RiG2: HTPC AMD A10-7850K APU, 2x8GB Kingstone HyperX 2400C12, AsRock FM2A88M Extreme4+, 128GB SSD + 640GB Samsung 7200, LG Blu-ray Recorder, Thermaltake BACH, Hiper 4M880 880W PSU

SmartPhone Samsung Galaxy S7 EDGE
    XBONE paired with 55'' Samsung LED 3D TV

Xtreme Addict

Promising batch. I'm eagerly waiting for the result.
    -

Banned
    yeah lets just hope it post's with this beta bios

Banned
    woot, we have lift off !!!!!!!!

wipped out the old Phenom 9850, popped in the Phenom 940, stuck some arctic silver on there, cleared cmos, booted and low and behold,

now everything seems to be running fine, and the only voltages i have touched is the ram voltage, everything is at stock, and there it will remain till the AS5 has cured, and the chip has had some 'burn in' time.

there is only one slight niggle, the bios detected the correct speed at 3 gig, but if you go look at the CPU multi it shows 14.5, so it is .5 out, hell thats fine, as long as i can adjust to it, then who cares. it is a beta bios after all.

as i said i will give it a couple of days to settle in to its new home, then start the OC, she's under water, so i might get a half decent result.

i will update when i get some results, but this will let anyone who was thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these for thier AX78, have no dought that it works

i will keep ya all posted

soundood

(ps: yeah yeah i know 6 gig of ram, i will pull the 2 x 2 gig when it comes to OC

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=486910

That's just great , thanks for posting your results ..

Quote Originally Posted by daytripper67mi View Post
    i ordered a 7750 yesterday hope it will run on my ax78,anyone got one running on theirs yet?
    I'm running one, running 16x201 for 3.21Ghz(bios 13)1.44v. The 7750 is detected as 7750 x2 on the post screen and cpu-z sees it as a Kuma core. Only 'major' problem is I'm missing my NB-FID setting thats supposed to show up with Phenom based chips.

I can only put my reference clock up to 220 at any ram speed, or I get that damn " CPU overrunning " message and it wont let me into windows. My 5000BE was good for at least 247x13.

To soundood : my htt is running at 1808, I can lower that by multiplier but not over. Looks like the board won't let me go over my NB clock (also at 1808 as per everest), which is a good "feature" as your not supposed to have htt greater than NB clock. The NB clock does not follow my HTT clock when I lower the htt multiplier. Looks like my NB-FID is locked at 9, as the clock increases or decreases in multiples of 9 when I play with the reference clock, possibly explaining why I can't go over 220.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=486986
    http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/bb644/
    Last edited by DarthElvis; 01-17-2009 at 05:52 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthElvis View Post
    To soundood : my htt is running at 1808, I can lower that by multiplier but not over. Looks like the board won't let me go over my NB clock (also at 1808 as per everest), which is a good "feature" as your not supposed to have htt greater than NB clock. The NB clock does not follow my HTT clock when I lower the htt multiplier.
    yeah the board does not have a ND FID, never has, only a HT Multi, that again you cant up, because it will not post because its higher than NB

This is what I'm looking for, doesnt seem to be anywhere. I guess I've added to confusion by calling it the NB-FID. Of course the manual could be wrong. It is for a few bios versions ago.
    Again, thanks for your help.
    Last edited by DarthElvis; 01-17-2009 at 06:08 PM.

Xtreme Member
    thanks elvis,ill let you know how it does after i get it going.

very nice clock on the 940 soundood...wtg
    Last edited by daytripper67mi; 01-18-2009 at 11:24 AM.
    PH II 550 x2@X4B50 3.2 1.35v
    M4A79X-EVO
    2x2 corsair 1600 Dominator
    LITE-ON 16X DVD BURNER
    HIS 5770
    swiftech mcr220,apogee gt,mcw30,mcp655,micro-res
    PCP&C 610 silencer
    black stacker 810

So hows this bios going with the 940 ???
    As it's a beta , are there any bugs ???
    i still haven't ordered my chip yet , but i thought i'd see if the bios is running good after a few days ??????

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny_doe View Post
    So hows this bios going with the 940 ???
    As it's a beta , are there any bugs ???
    i still haven't ordered my chip yet , but i thought i'd see if the bios is running good after a few days ??????
    well things are cool, but there are a couple of bugs, the multi doesnt register properly, it shows 14 for 14.5, 14.5 for 15 and so on, also i am seeing odd ram speeds with the beta, i have it set to 5-5-5-15 in bios, but in windows it shows as 5-5-11-29.

so all is not perfect, but the biggest problem o i am having is shut downs with overclocks, this has nothing to do with the bios, as it was happening with bios 13,

but more of a OCP/OVP problem on the board, at 3 gig stock, all is fine, prime stable,

but with a 400 mhz OC, it will start prime then wham, shut down.

i thought it was the PSU at first, but after testing with a single rail PSU i concluded it was the board.

a sad day, but hey we all move on, i got a crosshair II on order so that should solve the shut down problem.

i am so impatiant, because i know in my gut this is a cracking chip, i managed to get 3.6 without upping voltage in this AX78, cant wait to get some power behind it

Sorry to hear about your problems soundood. The AX-78 is a solid little mainstream board, but even my little 7750 had its quirks on it, in fact if I upped the voltage too much it would shutdown just like your describing.
    I've found the AX-78 has a few little failsafe things, like the dreaded " cpu overrunning " thing. It wouldn't surprise me if ABIT chose to build in a failsafe for "too much" voltage or current.
    It's funny you went for a high end ASUS, as I did the same thing with an M3A79-T board, no shut downs, smooth as silk. I even picked up a few points in some benchies while running at the very same settings as on my AX-78. I upped my northbridge to 2000 from 1800 and it's like a new machine(almost), seems much more 'snappy'. Having said that, I find the hardware monitoring on the ABIT board to be superior, also I find myself wishing I could set the shut down and warning temperatures -kind of a piece of mind thing. Of course the Crosshair is a different board , ymmv.
    Oh well, my Girlfriend inherits a very good board and cpu (x2 5000BE guaranteed for 3.2Ghz). Should surprise her when she boots up. Gonna do a ninja upgrade when she's not looking, quite an upgrade from an NForce 2 board (god I miss soundstorm)with an xp2500m (@2.5Ghz - running that way since new, still going strong).

Banned
    hey darth,

yeah i have allways been a fan of 'budget boards' on a new build, surrounding it with qulity parts to see how far ir will go, i have my personal satisfaction button pressed when it clocks higher than much more expencive boards.

the AX78 gave me that, but sadly now it is failing that test, due to age and OC, so much the same as you, the kids media centre will get a ninja upgrade

as for the ASUS crosshair, i have been eyeing it for ages, (since last year) and was waiting to see if there was a ACC nvidia board released (Vapourware), but hey nothing, then the AM3 support was added to a lot of ASUS boards, but not the CrosshairII, so that held me back.

only recently did they add the Crosshair II to the list of AM3 boards (i knew they would)

and then my ax78 went funny, so time for a high end nvidia board, i thin k i have timed it perfect, i will get full use of this board now, with a cpu and board combo i will be happy with till next year now.

at that point i will go for the crosshair III, and AMD3 DDR3 (yes crosshair III, Q3 2009)

but for someone who wants to run stock with a 940, there is no problem, this board can still take it

Xtreme Member
    just flashed to .14 here, from .12 - went smoothly, and have the same bugs as you soundood (using an x2 6400)

the cpu defaults run the correct speed but it report the default cpu multi as .5 higher. however when altering multi down, it then applys correctly as set, eg 12x = 12x 13x = 13x.
    i also have ram funnies - set to 4-5-4-18, bios current state shows 4-5-5-0 and windows shows 4-5-5-(blank) in most aps, and 4-5-5-4 in the rest. performance dont seem to be hurt tho.
    spd did not load correctly at default : spd = 5-5-5-15 @533 or 4-4-4-10 for 400 but ran 5-4-4-18 @ 533 O.o? (ram can run that fine at 1.8v tho so np)

bios now has coloured voltage settings rather than always white. they are white, blue, red as you raise up. (why does the board have 1.775v core available when its almost unusable anyway??)

amd overdrive now reports some more details than .12, tho the cpu core voltage isnt reading correctly

phenom arrives tomorrow for further tests. im hoping for a good core, i plan on dropping cpu core 0.025 from stock then overclocking - this should give just enough headroom on current to reach about 3.6-3.7ghz if the core can do those speeds with that voltage.

hope things going well with the formula 2 you got

did you let abit beta team know about your issues? - if you still in touch with them you can pass on my details
    Last edited by Cheffy; 02-02-2009 at 07:25 AM.
    LCB9E 0641 APMW @3100 1.65V Decapped ~50c orthos load, TDX+House Rad (passive!)+Eheim 1250, Abit AX8, 2*1gig Crucial PC4000 @ 221 3-3-3-8-1T

X4 940BE @ 3640 @1.475, Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P, 4x G.Skill F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK @ 1110mhz 5-5-5-15 @1.8v, 3870XT

Yes I to have ram timing issues , the default for my ram it 5,5,5,15 at 533 , but i can't get it running any better than 5,5,10,18 at 533 ..
    Do anyone know who we would report our findings ????
    as all 3 of us have the same errors ....

Xtreme Member
    i can help you get closer to the desired timings:

if you pick the 800mhz, rather than 1066 you can then get more sensible timings out of the board. to get back to 1066 speed drop the multi and up the bus speed.
    267mhz fsb gives you 1066mhz ram with it set to 800. this also gives 2400mhz nb frequency.

if your running a P2 940 i think you will find the following to be "optimal" on our boards, if your cpu is atall like mine:

Dram at 800mhz setting, htlink at 7x multi
    cpu at 12x (11.5x in bios) stock volts for cpu + nb
    fsb at 278

this gives you final speeds of cpu: 3333, nb: 2500 and ram 1111
    my board posts fine at fsb 300 using 11x multi and 6x ht multi
    however: at 2700mhz nb you will a) need a very good chip and b) a lot of luck, i was getting nb-ocp cutout and memtest errors due, i think, to nb
    the good news for owners of 920's is that the board can almost certainly clock them to the same point as 940's as fsb clocking is very definately an option. the bad news is that the max clock is a way behind boards with better voltage options.
    LCB9E 0641 APMW @3100 1.65V Decapped ~50c orthos load, TDX+House Rad (passive!)+Eheim 1250, Abit AX8, 2*1gig Crucial PC4000 @ 221 3-3-3-8-1T

X4 940BE @ 3640 @1.475, Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P, 4x G.Skill F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK @ 1110mhz 5-5-5-15 @1.8v, 3870XT

Hey soundood , have you heard about any new beta's or final bios for the AX78 ????

how did you contact the bios team ???? is it a forum , or just by emails ???

Banned
    hey johnny,

there has been no update as yet to the 14 beta (1) but i had an email stating that it might go to a beta 2, just to take in all the other Phenoms that are turning up.

i would expect this in the next month, they are slow the abit team, but they get it done eventualy, i dunno, maybe a full version for mid april?

Thanks for the update

hey johnny,

there has been no update as yet to the 14 beta (1) but i had an email stating that it might go to a beta 2, just to take in all the other Phenoms that are turning up.

i would expect this in the next month, they are slow the abit team, but they get it done eventualy, i dunno, maybe a full version for mid april?
    thanks man
    what news?

Does anyone know if the Athlon II 250 will run in the AX78? I have a 940 with beta bios and it runs stable, but what about the new 45nm Athlon with no L3?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ody Mamel View Post
    Does anyone know if the Athlon II 250 will run in the AX78? I have a 940 with beta bios and it runs stable, but what about the new 45nm Athlon with no L3?
    i am pretty sure that it will run ok, but will not be recognised by bios, so will appear as 'unknown cpu' on boot,

what i would watch is the stock volts to CPU, and make sure the board is setting it correctly, if not then set it manualy.

but after putting the chip and loading for the first time, please use the 'load optimised defaults' in bios and reboot, then set all other settings and head into windows.

once there check the voltage again to see its ok.

Xtreme Mentor
    i am pretty sure that it will run ok, but will not be recognised by bios, so will appear as 'unknown cpu' on boot,

what i would watch is the stock volts to CPU, and make sure the board is setting it correctly, if not then set it manualy.

but after putting the chip and loading for the first time, please use the 'load optimised defaults' in bios and reboot, then set all other settings and head into windows.

once there check the voltage again to see its ok.
    I'd love to see this works practically! Isn't a great thing having platform that can support first ever 90nm DDR2 Athlon X2 4000+, and the latest and greatest 45nm Athlon II/Phenom II?!
    Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms as part of our ongoing commitment to the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player. We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following the release of Flash Player 10.1.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast