Thread: ATi 4870X2/RV770 Specs Leaked

Xtreme Enthusiast

Arrow ATi 4870X2/RV770 Specs Leaked

Hey all, thought I would post some leaked specs for the upcoming 4 series from Ati.

The ATI Radeon HD 4000 series is slated for late Q2. Information about the high-end RV770 has been leaking onto the web, from here and there, but the exact specifications has remained in the shadows. German hardware site Hartware.net has gotten their hands on what seems to be pretty authentic information. As far as we can tell, it looks believable and matches the rumors going around. We're still far away from the launch and the figures are subject to change.

The information published on hartware.de suggests that ATI will use GDDR5 to a great extent, which surprise us a little. On the other hand, ATI may know something about GDDR5 that we don't (we would be surprised otherwise). RV770 has GDDR5 support, but whether ATI will actually use it remains to be seen. GDDR4 with most of the high-end cards is a highly likely scenario. The frequencies suggested here are actually lower than what good GDDR4 chips are capable of.

RV770 will break 1TFLOPS, while the R700, with two RV770, should be capable of twice that, more than 2TFLOPS. This is higher than what he had expected, but then again the core frequencies are also higher than expected. All cores are made by TSMC and their 55nm process. We're still trying to hunt down more reliable information on the design of the "core".

When AMD/ATI, unveiled the Radeon HD 3000 series they had added a nifty feature called PowerPlay. PowerPlay dynamically controls the power consumption and will severely reduce the power consumption when idle, but also reduce the peak consumption somewhat. When we look at the figures they don't quite add up, but as stated above, these figures are all most likely going to change before the launch. The idle power consumptions of all cards are extremely low and even the dual-core Radeon HD 4870X2 will consume less than 25W when idle.

The number of TMUs have finally been increased, actually doubled, to 32 with RV770, while RV740 sports 24 TMUs, and the low-end RV710 has 8 TMUs. Don't bother getting upset with the 256-bit memory bus because it will not become any kind of bottleneck. The only time it might be even close to that is when you're pouring liquid nitrogen into the container and have the GPU running at +50% of stock frequency, which will happen though.

To end this long and speculative post, we would like to say that if not all, most of the variables here are subject to change and should be considered with a "tiny" pinch of salt. We're still 4 month away from the launch.
    Last edited by Waymon3X6; 03-29-2008 at 10:28 AM.
    i7 860 @ 4.2Ghz | ASUS Maximus III Formula | 8GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 | ATi 5970 | 3x WD Raptor X HDD's | NZXT Khaos Case | Corsair 1000w PSU | Swiftech H20 Cooling CPU | Windows 7 x64 | Sony Bravia 52" LCD Display

3DMark06 Score - 20k Club | Youtube Account

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Already posted.
    Actually old old news, recycled from NordicHardware's original news post...some months ago

I am Xtreme
    also fake
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    No, I think he had a date tonight...

He and his EK Supreme are out for a night on the town!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by disruptfam View Post
    also fake
    Coming from a nvidia fanboy...
    i7 860 @ 4.2Ghz | ASUS Maximus III Formula | 8GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 | ATi 5970 | 3x WD Raptor X HDD's | NZXT Khaos Case | Corsair 1000w PSU | Swiftech H20 Cooling CPU | Windows 7 x64 | Sony Bravia 52" LCD Display

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by Waymon3X6 View Post
    Coming from a nvidia fanboy...
    Now that was so nice of you!
    Behave.

P.S. When somebody disagrees with you on something does this necessarily make him a fanboy ? Or maybe a loser ? Or proven wrong ? Grow up.

P.S.2. You've been here since Dec 07... Disruptfam's not a everyday poster... how come you've already "spotted" his "fanboyism" towards xxx company ?

By the way, some of the information posted IS WRONG.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well just by the fact that A: He doesnt have any proof to support his opinion, and B: he has a picture of a 8800 in his sig...

And what makes you think that info posted is wrong? Just because you say it doesn't really make me want to believe it.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Well just by the fact that:
    Quote Originally Posted by Waymon3X6
    A: He doesnt have any proof to support his opinion
    Neither you do.

and B: he has a picture of a 8800 in his sig...
    I used to have a picture of a trashcan in my signature, that makes me a fanboy of trashcans ?

And what makes you think that info posted is wrong?
    Because:

1) I have some info myself
    2) The author of the news post has posted and also said that the information ( not all ) isn't correct. Click here

Just because you say it doesn't really make me want to believe it.
    Nobody told you not to believe what you want to believe, but nobody has given you the "permission" to call somebody a fanboy.
    Last edited by BenchZowner; 03-29-2008 at 10:33 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Oh give me a break, I can call people what I want. Thats what's great about USA - its called freedom of speech.

The info is right above - websites would not publish this stuff if they had no idea what the card will be like.

Also about the trash can, lets get real here. He obviously isn't supporting ATi because he's calling the results fake.

And what is this info that you have?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    I used to have a picture of a trashcan in my signature, that makes me a fanboy of trashcans ?

Oh give me a break, I can call people what I want. Thats what's great about USA - its called freedom of speech.

The info is right above - websites would not publish this stuff if they had no idea what the card will be like.

1st) this is an international site....
    2nd) can you say the inc/enc? websites can post what they like and its not always correct. if i started a site saying "nvidia to leave gpu buisness" would you beleive it?

My Free-DC Stats
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ok, I'm done arguing. This was just a post that gets people mad...