Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1118192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: 7900GT Voltmod-2

Xtreme Member
    I've got my 256mb Pixelview 7900GT at 550:1800, but want to go further and I'm wondering how much temperatures will rise using the 1.55V considering with the Modded Silencer (See sig) how much temps will rise from 45C idle and 55C load, thanks guys.

Xtreme Member
    I did the 1.5V (not 1.55V) mod and get very much similar temps for idle but around 64C for load.

Clocked to 690MHz:1800MHz.

Got it up to 690MHz(Plus 19MHz delta):1864MHz.
    Last edited by LiQU!D; 05-31-2006 at 04:31 AM.

Champion
    results for the 512mb sparkle calibre 7900gt: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=101451

Xtreme Member
    Heh, hardware pimp flytek.

What's peoples opinions on me running my PCI-e frequency up trying to get 700MHz out of the core?

I only have a ATA HDD, so nothing connected to the SATA ports.

Thanks.

Xtreme Member
    In im opinion bumping it up 10-15mhz from the stock 100mhz can stable out an OC but its different for everyone. Give it a shot, just dont go to high, its been known to bork your windows install needed a reformat to fix. Its happened to at least 2 people I know of.
    Flawless heatware (161-0-0)
    http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=43931

Xtreme Addict
    Just a question... got my GT a few days back, is 567/784 (unmodded with NV Silencer 5 rev.3) with the 'autodetect' a bit reasonable?
    I know it makes my 7800GT look like puke but just wondering...
    lol... This forum requires that you wait 70 seconds between posts. Please try again in 8 seconds.
    *phone rings*
    Friend: Do you have a spare PSU lying around?
    Me: No why?
    Friend: My PSU just blew up, I think the second 8800GTX might have been too much for it to handle
    Me: what PSU was that again?
    Friend: Antec 480w
    Me:........

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett
    Just a question... got my GT a few days back, is 567/784 (unmodded with NV Silencer 5 rev.3) with the 'autodetect' a bit reasonable?
    I know it makes my 7800GT look like puke but just wondering...
    It is not "a bit reasonable", it is fantastic (assuming that it is stable and artifact free).

Champion
    Garret - i find the 256mb cards almost always detect core at about 550 and memory often at exactly 784.

since you have good cooling on the core you just need some extra safety active cooling on the memory vreg area, a small vgpu mod (ie 1.4vgpu), and you'll be running 650/800 24/7 at least

Kin Hell
    Jeepers....I had 2 BFG 7900GT's that did 580/840...they were RMA'd cos 2 of the Caps near the PCIe edge connector were hanging off. Upgraded to 2 Gainward 7900GT GS 512Mb cards...they only do 760 on the RAM but the cores bang away @ 635!....All Non modded btw

Must get & Play!

*Edited for Typo
    Last edited by Kin Hell; 05-31-2006 at 01:07 PM.

Xtreme Addict

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by t024484
    It is not "a bit reasonable", it is fantastic (assuming that it is stable and artifact free).
    OK I'll try modding it with silverglue... if that's removable with acetone...
    I'll try on an old and dead 6800GT card
    lol... This forum requires that you wait 70 seconds between posts. Please try again in 8 seconds.
    *phone rings*
    Friend: My PSU just blew up, I think the second 8800GTX might have been too much for it to handle

Quote Originally Posted by Kin Hell
    Jeepers....I had 2 BFG 7900GT's that did 580/840...they were RMA'd cos 2 of the Caps near the PCIe edge connector were hanging off. Upgraded to 2 Gainward 7900GT GS 512Mb cards...they only do 760 on the RAM but the cores bang away @ 635!....All Non modded btw

Must get & Play!

*Edited for Typo
    Sounds to me like the new revision PCB's with 1.45 factory set in 3D are now getting into retail supply. No way should you get those clocks on 1.2v.

Can you do a voltage check while running a 3D test? What cooler is on it, and what temps are you getting?
    Last edited by xit; 05-31-2006 at 03:31 PM.

Kin Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by xit
    Sounds to me like the new revision PCB's with 1.45 factory set in 3D are now getting into retail supply. No way should you get those clocks on 1.2v.

Can you do a voltage check while running a 3D test? What cooler is on it, and what temps are you getting?
    Right now m8, I've had several Jack Daniels & Cokes, so there aint no way I'm going in there with a Digital MM. The card is Stock Gainward Cooler & its Idle temps are 29 to 31 Degrees whilst popping ONLY 49 Degrees running this Beautiful Demo/Benchmark:

Eye Candy & Then Some!

I must add, I sent one of the Gainward 7900GT GS cards back cos it only did 575 core. Should have the replacement for my SLI Rig this Friday...along with this mofo:

The Mother of ALL PSU's

The FSP Sparkle 700W PSU I had, got it's Ass RMA'd cos it volted @ 4.87v on the 5v rail.

*Edit* the RMA'd 7900GT GS was also 10 Degrees hotter than the one in here on it's own & the HOT one was in the lower PCIe slot!
    Last edited by Kin Hell; 05-31-2006 at 04:40 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Did you only RMA it because it couldn't clock high?

If that's the case, I highly doubt they'll take it back.

Kin Hell

No need....Nibitor lists only 1 Voltage setting....1.2v
    I can Bench 3DMark @ 650/700, tho ATI tool does artifact slightly. At 630/746, there are no Artifacts & 3DMark runs fine. Idle temps are 29 Deg. 630/746 and 33 Degrees 650/700. Full loads are 46 & 50 Degress respectfully & this is on a Stock GW Cooler.

To reply to Liqu!d's earlier remark on his opinion of getting it swapped out because it doesn't overclock that far, please Consider this:
    Maybe I am lucky to be able to deal with a rather nice chap at my Suppliers. But then, you wouldnt know the amount of hassle I've had building 2 Systems at a cost of £3,500, consisting of 5 Faulty BFG cards, 4 Faulty DFI nF4 SLI DR EXpert boards, Firmware issues with Maxtor hard drives on the nF4Chipset & Faulty 700W Sparkle PSU's. You can imagine the Costs having to RMA all that cr4p back to the supplier. Also, the card I sent back was 10 degrees hotter than it's SLI Brother sat here now. Considering these GW 7900GT GS cards are Hand-picked cores to run with the faster than Normal Ram, I'd say that HOT card was a dodgy one anyway!

And you dont think I will get it swapped out!

The replacement Card will be here Mon/Tue Next week along with a Spanking new 1KW PC Power & Cooling Quad SLI PSU. Right now, I'm considering myself Lucky the Dear lady in my life isn't filing for Divorce & that both my knackers are still swinging in their original Places!
    Last edited by Kin Hell; 06-02-2006 at 08:52 AM.

Xtreme Addict

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett
    OK I'll try modding it with silverglue... if that's removable with acetone...
    I'll try on an old and dead 6800GT card
    OHHH freaking YES!!
    Acetone removes the silverglue juuuuuust perfect :thumbsup:
    Now I'll mod my 7900GT card and let you guys know in a while just how it goes

-edit- after masking the area that didn't need the glue I managed to 'drown' the connecting points in glue LOL

But I just wiped it away with my lovely little bottle of acetone, and managed to successfully apply the 1.4v mod
    664 core says autodetect, not that bad right? (still 784 mem but there's no cooling on there whatsoever, that'll change later)
    Last edited by Garrett; 06-02-2006 at 11:10 AM.
    *phone rings*

I am Xtreme
    Well done mate, ramsinks or anything won't you net much more on the RAM.
    Coolbits auto detects ~570 for my core, just like before the 1.4V mod.

Manually i can go all the way up till ~705MHz, not bad eh?
    Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | FX 8350 | 2x4GB Trident-X 2600 C10 | 2x ATI HD5870 Crossfire | Enermax Revo 1050watt | OCZ Vertex 3 60GB | Samsung F1 1TB

Watercooling: XSPC Raystorm | EK 5870 Delrin fullcover | TFC X-changer 480 w/ 4x Gentle Typhoon | DDC2+ Delrin top | EK 200mm res | Primochill LRT 3/8 tubing

Case: Murdermodded TJ-07

sub 9 sec. SPi1M 940BE 955BE 965BE 1090T

Xtreme Member
    I think 664 on core with the autodetect is good, I got 584 right now, also with the 1,4Vmod. I can play and do a lot of things on 660MHz though. The best way to test this is with 3DMark I think.
    P5B Deluxe Wifi | E6400 L629B (4GHz@water) | Corsiar Twinx 8500 | 7900GT 520M | 2,1TB HDD | [Homemade watercooling] [Overklokk built SS Phase Change]

Core 2 Duo 4GHz Club!

Xtreme Member
    I got 703 auto detect today on the core =)

Mem detected at 874 (goes higher manually though)

Ive had the 1.55v mod done for quite awhile now and last time I auto detected was around the time that I did it and it wouldnt auto higher then what it did when it was stock. But I tried today and it finally auto detected like it should with the mod.
    Last edited by smut; 06-02-2006 at 05:25 PM.

Kin Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by smut
    I got 703 auto detect today on the core =)

Mem detected at 874 (goes higher manually though)

Ive had the 1.55v mod done for quite awhile now and last time I auto detected was around the time that I did it and it wouldnt auto higher then what it did when it was stock. But I tried today and it finally auto detected like it should with the mod.
    Way to go m8y!

No need....Nibitor lists only 1 Voltage setting....1.2v
    From what I understand the 1.45 is a hardware mod by the manufacturers, and may not be shown in the Bios. Pictures of newer replacement cards on this and other forums show extra components on the back of the card near the volt mod area when compared to original stock cards.

to see what i am talking about, have a look at http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=101

I am still interested if you can test the GPU voltage with a mulitmeter when it is under 3D load....thanks.
    Last edited by xit; 06-02-2006 at 10:30 PM.
    Core i5 750@19x160MHz | Gigabyte P55-UD5 | 4Gb Patriot Viper DDR3-1600 7-7-7-23 | 1Tb Seagate SATA2 | Gigabyte 8800GTS 512Mb @ 700/1800/1000 | Creative Audigy | Thermaltake Tsunami | Seasonic 650w

Xtreme Member
    Way to go m8y!

thanks, its not like I just got those speeds though. Been running at 700/1980ish for awhile now. Just had coolbits auto detect very high speeds for the first time. When I did the 1.4 months ago everyone said just to auto detect and youll know if it worked. So did the 1.4 and kept auto detecting and it would stay the same as stock speeds so I kept redoing the mod thinking it didnt hold. FInally I used atitool to OC and indeed the 1.4 mod was working so I must have redid the mod over and over again thinking it didnt work. So anyway I said this in a post few weeks ago to not rely just on auto detect as it may not detect higher even if the mod worked. I did the 1.55 mod + mem 2.22 mod and got up to 700+/1984 up from 650/1600 with the 1.4mod and no memory mod. Lsat night my PC went down though, I think something on my motherboard fcked up, my monitor isnt getting a picture. The self test says its working though. when I turn on the PC, the monitor blinks for a minute and goes back to the screen it was on before which is a blue/red/green box saying its working correctly and to check the monitor cable or computer power. The graphics card is still geting power as tested with my multimeter and teh PSU still powers up all the hard drives and optical drives and stuff so that leaves the motherboard. Right before it stopped working I plugging the 24 pin conector on the mobo and forgot to turn the back switch off on the PSU and I think it blew something when I plugged in the 24 pin connector, I remember the monitor blinking when plugging in the 24 pin. It was a stupid mistake but I hooked up the floppy drive cable wrong because I needed to get the RAID drivers because i was reinstalling XP so to unplug and replug the floppy cable in the right way I have to take the 24pin connector out. Thats how the ASUS sli premium board is layed out, pisses me off. So I must have forgotten to hit the switch on the pSU. I always make sure to unplug the power to psu or turn the switch off but I guess this time I was in a rush and forgot to! So I think something with the 24pin plug on the motherboard is shorted out or something. I wish I could find out for sure but have no spare motherboard or anything around. THats the only explanation I can come up with because right before that it was working fine and right after I think something blew on the 24 pin on the PSU or the 24 pin on the motherboard. Right after that is when the monitor wouldnt get a picture anymore besides the self test it always does. Like I said the monitor blinks for a split second like its about to show the BIOS screen and stuff or whatever then it goes back to the self test. I think its not getting power or someting I dont know. But the core/mem on the graphics card are getting power, I checked with my DMM. SO i dont freakin know!?!? so it looks like I have to RMA the board which is going to be a pain. I got a watercooling setup cooling the CPU and GPU and that wont be fun taking it all apart and draining it. I just hope its the motherboard thats the problem, this sucks though. Im at the library right now as my pc is down obviously. Any suggestions, do you think its the motherboard?
    Last edited by smut; 06-03-2006 at 08:50 AM.

Kin Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by smut
    thanks, its not like I just got those speeds though. Been running at 700/1980ish for awhile now. Just had coolbits auto detect very high speeds for the first time. When I did the 1.4 months ago everyone said just to auto detect and youll know if it worked. So did the 1.4 and kept auto detecting and it would stay the same as stock speeds so I kept redoing the mod thinking it didnt hold. FInally I used atitool to OC and indeed the 1.4 mod was working so I must have redid the mod over and over again thinking it didnt work. So anyway I said this in a post few weeks ago to not rely just on auto detect as it may not detect higher even if the mod worked. I did the 1.55 mod + mem 2.22 mod and got up to 700+/1984 up from 650/1600 with the 1.4mod and no memory mod. Lsat night my PC went down though, I think something on my motherboard fcked up, my monitor isnt getting a picture. The self test says its working though. when I turn on the PC, the monitor blinks for a minute and goes back to the screen it was on before which is a blue/red/green box saying its working correctly and to check the monitor cable or computer power. The graphics card is still geting power as tested with my multimeter and teh PSU still powers up all the hard drives and optical drives and stuff so that leaves the motherboard. Right before it stopped working I plugging the 24 pin conector on the mobo and forgot to turn the back switch off on the PSU and I think it blew something when I plugged in the 24 pin connector, I remember the monitor blinking when plugging in the 24 pin. It was a stupid mistake but I hooked up the floppy drive cable wrong because I needed to get the RAID drivers because i was reinstalling XP so to unplug and replug the floppy cable in the right way I have to take the 24pin connector out. Thats how the ASUS sli premium board is layed out, pisses me off. So I must have forgotten to hit the switch on the pSU. I always make sure to unplug the power to psu or turn the switch off but I guess this time I was in a rush and forgot to! So I think something with the 24pin plug on the motherboard is shorted out or something. I wish I could find out for sure but have no spare motherboard or anything around. THats the only explanation I can come up with because right before that it was working fine and right after I think something blew on the 24 pin on the PSU or the 24 pin on the motherboard. Right after that is when the monitor wouldnt get a picture anymore besides the self test it always does. Like I said the monitor blinks for a split second like its about to show the BIOS screen and stuff or whatever then it goes back to the self test. I think its not getting power or someting I dont know. But the core/mem on the graphics card are getting power, I checked with my DMM. SO i dont freakin know!?!? so it looks like I have to RMA the board which is going to be a pain. I got a watercooling setup cooling the CPU and GPU and that wont be fun taking it all apart and draining it. I just hope its the motherboard thats the problem, this sucks though. Im at the library right now as my pc is down obviously. Any suggestions, do you think its the motherboard?
    Heck smut....I seen this happen on my old 9800XT. I had a black screen but the puter still booted. Do you know if yours is booting or not? Watch your hard drive light to take this out of the equation at least. If it does boot, you can still shut down "blind" by pressing the windows key once, pressing the Up cursor key once & then hit enter or space. Press TAB once & hit Enter or Space & your Rig will shut down.

Shame you dont have another board there to try, but with all the things you have done to your Rig, it would be hard to even start to guess where the trouble lies. It could be summat on the graphics card considering the mods & OC you have done, though my 9800XT was stock. I was lucky to be able to RMA 1 month after its Warranty Expiry & Hercules France repaired & returned my card FOC.

Best of luck hammering this one out, my gut churns for ya!

Xtreme Member
    Heck smut....I seen this happen on my old 9800XT. I had a black screen but the puter still booted. Do you know if yours is booting or not? Watch your hard drive light to take this out of the equation at least. If it does boot, you can still shut down "blind" by pressing the windows key once, pressing the Up cursor key once & then hit enter or space. Press TAB once & hit Enter or Space & your Rig will shut down.

Shame you dont have another board there to try, but with all the things you have done to your Rig, it would be hard to even start to guess where the trouble lies. It could be summat on the graphics card considering the mods & OC you have done, though my 9800XT was stock. I was lucky to be able to RMA 1 month after its Warranty Expiry & Hercules France repaired & returned my card FOC.

Best of luck hammering this one out, my gut churns for ya!
    Yeah the system boots, can hear the hard drives booting and the lights show it as well. Its like everything is working except not receiving the picture on the monitor. This gives me a chance to RMA my g.skill ddr500 2GB of ram though that never ran stable at DDR500. So im going to RMA the ram and the motherboard and hopefully ill be back to normal. I just hope ASUS doesnt take forever with RMAs but for some reason I remember some1 saying that they do. And like I said it was working fine until I plugged in some of the 24pin connector and it seemed like something got power that shouldnt have at that point because the PSU switch was on meaning althought it wasnt on it had power. After that, no picture. Teh psu boots the board up, hd's, optical drives and the graphics card has 1.55v on the core and the memory has power as well so its gotta be working. I checked the monitor cable, switched out the dvi/vga adaptor to no avail. Ive done everything I can think of, its going to suck taking everything apart though. The water cooling draining, the cpu block removal, gpu block removal, taking out everything, removing the mobo. Going to take quite a few hours. At least I can get my RAM replaced, I havent sent it away yet because I didnt want to be without my computer, its how I make money right now selling stuff on forums and ebay but I have no choice now. newegg is much better at RMA speed then asus so I should have the RAM back way before the motherboard. If its still not getting picture when the mobo gets back then will try to figure out which I should RMA first, the PSU or graphics card. I doubt the monitor is the problem, it says its working on the self test. It blinks for a second totally black when i turn on the PC then switches back to the blue/red/green box. Its like it got power for a second then stopped. Ahh, this blows. just hope the motherboard fixes it, the onboard audio doesnt work on the mobo either so thats getting fixed too.

Kin Hell

Thumbs down

From what I understand the 1.45 is a hardware mod by the manufacturers, and may not be shown in the Bios. Pictures of newer replacement cards on this and other forums show extra components on the back of the card near the volt mod area when compared to original stock cards.

to see what i am talking about, have a look at http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=101

I am still interested if you can test the GPU voltage with a mulitmeter when it is under 3D load....thanks.
    Yeah xit, sorry for not getting back sooner, but I have had my hands full getting things together at my end. Unfortunately, my Gainward 7900 GT GS cards are not performing correctly in SLI. I am still waitng to hear from my supplier RE the issues I have & consequently will not be making any atempt to mod or poke around the cards. My PSU is now out of the equation without any doubt. I have just fitted a PC P&C 1KW Quad SLI PSU, but my rig just will not run these cards in SLI without some crazy anomalies. I promise to write up a full report as soon as I know where I am going, but RMA time looms ahead with these Gainwards, refusing to SLI at default clock speeds. I am not happy having a £540 investment in 2 cards to see my rig lock up, crash with "nf4_disp" errors or BSOD's with "nF4_disp" Error codes whilst trying to game. On top of that, I get corrupted 2-D windows while running a 3-D stuff in a window. So many installs, so many different System hardware drivers verified & tried...my patience is wearing thin. Go have a read of these links at some of the graphic issues I have been seeing:
    http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?a...r&f=25&t=14044

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/articl...50aHVzaWFzdA==

Xtreme Addict
    Sorry to here of your woes Kin, I reckon its not just the Gainward but all the 512MB cards that use the non reference PCB, just my opinion
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1118192021222324 ... LastLast