Thread: P55-UD6 socket burn

Threaded View

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Migi06 View Post
    More likely Windows 7 mysterious reboot problems..
    Could be drivers like chipset, audio, GPU etc..
    Powersuply problems like bad contact, rail issues..
    Incompability software..
    My problem is as follows:

Randomly will restart when I'm about to login to Windows without any warning/BSOD or when playing games (well I have only played UT3 and Borderlands lately basicly and it happens for both of them), sometimes I can play for 1 - 2hrs and sometimes it restarts 3 times in 1hr. No minidumps received but evenlog reports "critical" issues: "Kernel-power" Event ID 41, and basicly means unexpected powerloss or something like that.

Well here's everything I've tried:

- Running Windows XP [no change]
    - Reinstall of Windows 7 due to I used a vlited Win 7 copy before [no change]
    - Reverted to default BIOS settings + some increased vcore to ~1.265v and 1.2v VTT to make sure it's not a degraded CPU [no change]
    - Swapped PSU to my backup Thermaltake ToughPower 750W [no change]
    - Stability testing; OCCT PSU tester, LinX, MemTest [OK]
    - Temperatures are fine, not using a comp case, CPU @ 1.4v: 55~59C typical for gaming, 68~72C in LinX, GPU @ 60~75C depending on game (fan @ 61%), mobo sth like 32C.
    - Tried different drivers for GPU, NIC and audio card [no change]
    - Removed CPU to check for burnt pins or bad contact => no burnt pins and all pins seemed to made contact (my eyes after systematicly checking 1156 pins O_o).

However since it happens mostly when playing UE3 based games I think it's most likely a GPU failure, if it was bad contact or mobo voltage regulation issue of some kind it would more than likely cause errors in stability tests as well. The funny or should I say unlucky thing is that when I tried to give my backup card 8800GT a try then ofc the thing freezes in UT3 after a few mins and basicly broke as after the restart I had white dots all over the bootup dos screens and Windows 7 won't install drivers for it cause it says the device is not workign properly and now it doesn't even boot into Windows with it, damnit!

Then the only other gfx card I have here is an old 6800GT and playing UT3 is NOT funny with a 6800GT and a i7-860 with very stuttering gameplay at 640x480 and lowest quality (7 ~ 30 FPS) but it's like a video that swaps between slowmotion and fast-forward mode, so it's really a pain to even whitstand running some test sessions for say 3hrs to see if it's not rebooting. However with this card it doesn't ever seem to fail at login, I've already made like 10 successful logins in a row.

How common would it be to recieve such issue (kernel-power) of a gfx card though? This EVGA GTX 260 SC 55nm is not following standard design AFAIK so it's more likely to happen IMO. In fact I managed to find another user with a EVGA GTX 260 SC that's got this "kernel-power" issue as well but for him it also can happen while browsing web and there were no reports if issue got fixed and how he fixed it in the thread.

Just dunno if I should buy a new GPU right now or wait for 8800GT RMA to be completed which prolly will take more than a week.
    Last edited by RPGWiZaRD; 11-03-2009 at 04:12 AM.
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place