Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Abit AX78 + Phenom II beta Bios on Route

Sweet, I'll give it a shot, thanks

Xtreme Member
    the board and the 250 should be a sweet combo, asuming the cpu works. the board is proven to run high htt without issue on phenom2's and is only held back by the pwm on the 125/140w cpu's - the bios options are there for extreme voltages. there just isnt the capacity for it on higher wattage cpu's.

if you find it tricky to get your ram timings set right using the 1066 ram setting, use the 800 setting then ramp up the htt. you should be able to drop the cpu multi if needed. (267htt = 1066mhz ram on 800 setting)
    LCB9E 0641 APMW @3100 1.65V Decapped ~50c orthos load, TDX+House Rad (passive!)+Eheim 1250, Abit AX8, 2*1gig Crucial PC4000 @ 221 3-3-3-8-1T

X4 940BE @ 3640 @1.475, Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P, 4x G.Skill F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK @ 1110mhz 5-5-5-15 @1.8v, 3870XT

Hi , I would like to add something to this thread .

just put a PII x4 955 BE onto my AX78 it its running , sees the cpu ok on boot ( reads correct ) but doesnt set the volts correct , sets 0.97 ish and doesnt allow me to alter the multi at all in the bios and its set at x4 so thats 800 mhz cpu speed , after altering the volts and using AOD to set the multi its running at stock 3200 now and seems ok with 35-40c temps on stock retail hsf . again the ram timings are wrong , will get to that soon .

would be nice to get a bios to suit though hey

forgot to add im using the beta bios
    Last edited by Welshmangt4; 06-19-2009 at 08:09 AM.

Xtreme Member
    have you tried a full cmos reset, load optimised, reboot, check, cmos reset type cycle?
    LCB9E 0641 APMW @3100 1.65V Decapped ~50c orthos load, TDX+House Rad (passive!)+Eheim 1250, Abit AX8, 2*1gig Crucial PC4000 @ 221 3-3-3-8-1T

X4 940BE @ 3640 @1.475, Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P, 4x G.Skill F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK @ 1110mhz 5-5-5-15 @1.8v, 3870XT

yes ive tried a few ways , one thing i noticed that if you increase the voltage in the bios ( cpu ) it increases the cpu vddc according to AOD , + 0.37v should take the cpu vid to 1.35 but it puts the cpu vddc to 1.92 and the cpu vid is still 0.97 ( cpu vddc is at 1.55 to start with which is too high ? ) also i have gone back to bios 13 and the NB vid is lower with that bios 1.1 apposed to about 1.4 with 14 .

from what i can tell the cpu is in its lowest p state with no way of increasing it in the bios , i have had it running at 3.6ghz with AOD but i really need a better HSF to get the best out of it . i have now put my 6000+ back in untill i get a better HSF or some more info before i start playing again .

also i can get the bios to see 3100mhz at post by increasing the cpu FID by setting x31 , the cpu DID must be wrong also in bios 14 for this chip . bios 13 is correct at x16 for 3200 but in both cases it doesnt actually alter the clock speed of the chip as there is no actual mutiplier option in softmenu . looking back at the screenshot of soundood 940 bootup it looks the same as that but with 800mhz speed .

should there be more than one P state in the cpu features section , i only have PO
    Last edited by Welshmangt4; 06-21-2009 at 03:57 AM.

Banned
    hi there,

yes you should have P0 ans P1 in the bios cpu features, i am actualy surprised by this as i expected the board to be ok with this chip,

i am also surprised that you dont have the multi set up in the bios, could it be because you are moving from the 6000 over to the 955?

try this if you havent already,

disable AOD at start up, even uninstal it (piece of crap it is) (Yoda voice)

boot up with 6000 in there, and then shut down,

remove the 6000, and unplug the rig, clear cmos using the jumper (not the switch at the back panel) leave for a minute or so.

reset the jumper back, and then put the 955 in there, and boot going straight into bios, and load 'optimised defaults' save and reboot.

then go back into bios, and have a look around, setting your ram voltage and multi to stock (if you can) and disable 'cool'n quiet'

then boot into windows, and get a screen of CPU-Z for me,

PLEASE FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER as the board bios was sort of funny on V13 and V14 beta, and would give you odd Vcore as such

AND PLEASE AGAIN DISABLE AOD, AND DONT USE IT TO SEE VCORE OR TEMPS WITH THIS BOARD, IT DOESNT WORK
    USE CPU-Z

mean while, i will try an email to jos (abit support) and see if there is anything he can do, given the current situation.

on a side note, i gave up this board due to the OCP/OVP kicking in when i overclocked it, it now sits in a media centre with a 5000BE in there, what i am saying is that even if you get stock speed on it, you probaly wont get any overclock on it. that sort of defeats the purpose of this chip.

might be time to upgrade mobo, next time you have the cash, i use the ASUS M4A79 deluxe myself, although not a fan, the gigabyte boards are also getting good reports from various users on here.
    Last edited by soundood; 06-21-2009 at 07:42 AM.

yes will give that a go in a bit .

side note , cpu-z gave me the same vcore as AOD as did anything i used tbh , always 0.97 . only thing i didnt check was the vcore in cpu-z after i had used the bios to increase it , AOD ( POS ) said the cpu vid was still 0.97 while the cpu vddc had increased to 1.92 from 1.55 ( + 0.37 increase .. ) if cpu-z still see's vcore at 0.97 then AOD must be correct ? if it see's 1.35 then i'll believe that instead .

ok put the 955be back in using V14 bios ( have 2 chips ) booted the same as before 0.968v core and x4 multi = 800mhz .. increases the core volts in bios to +0.37 ( max ) and now its showing 1.344 in cpu-z and abit eq so thats ok , just need the option for multiplier now , couple of programs that can do that for the time being though .. still only have PO state in bios too .

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Welshmangt4 View Post
    ok put the 955be back in using V14 bios ( have 2 chips ) booted the same as before 0.968v core and x4 multi = 800mhz .. increases the core volts in bios to +0.37 ( max ) and now its showing 1.344 in cpu-z and abit eq so thats ok , just need the option for multiplier now , couple of programs that can do that for the time being though .. still only have PO state in bios too .

ok things are a little better at least, you can use k10stat or my favourite for these things is Phenom msr tweaker,

you can pin that to start menu and set the multi and voltage on it, so in theory all you would have is slow boot.

and you followed what i said to the letter ehh? and cleared cmos inbetween CPU changes? and also loaded 'optimised defaults'?

i hate to sound anul, but this is soooo crucial to do at this point, as missing one of them will result in this kind of behaviour

yes did the cmos a few times now just to be sure lol even loaded failsafe defaults once to see if that would do it , still no multi in softmenu

you have a link to phenom msr tweaker ? cant seem to find it

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    ok things are a little better at least, you can use k10stat or my favourite for these things is Phenom msr tweaker,

you can pin that to start menu and set the multi and voltage on it, so in theory all you would have is slow boot.

and you followed what i said to the letter ehh? and cleared cmos inbetween CPU changes? and also loaded 'optimised defaults'?

i hate to sound anul, but this is soooo crucial to do at this point, as missing one of them will result in this kind of behaviour
    K10Stat wont work with the issue he is having all of the boards had this issue with the 955BE the mobo is not setting the CPUFID correctly and the chips will not respond to adjustments using K10stat unluckily the only thing that worked on my M4A78T-e was AOD to get it to clock. this means he will have to wait for a microcode update.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cdawall View Post
    K10Stat wont work with the issue he is having all of the boards had this issue with the 955BE the mobo is not setting the CPUFID correctly and the chips will not respond to adjustments using K10stat unluckily the only thing that worked on my M4A78T-e was AOD to get it to clock. this means he will have to wait for a microcode update.
    i dont use K10stat myself, so wouldnt know anything about it, and i have sent an email to abit support (yeah i know) to see if there will be a microcode update to bios to support this CPU, but i highly dought it.

@Welshmangt4

as for Phenom MSR Tweaker, I cant find it either, it was on this forum and has disapeared

anyway lucky i have both the x86 and x 64 versions here

here is a link to them, that i have uploaded,

http://www.box.net/shared/sq3bsinrxj

if you need any help with it, give me a shout
    Last edited by soundood; 06-21-2009 at 02:14 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    i dont use K10stat myself, so wouldnt know anything about it, and i have sent an email to abit support (yeah i know) to see if there will be a microcode update to bios to support this CPU, but i highly dought it.

@Welshmangt4

as for Phenom MSR Tweaker, I cant find it either, it was on this forum and has disapeared

anyway lucky i have both the x86 and x 64 versions here

here is a link to them, that i have uploaded,

http://www.box.net/shared/sq3bsinrxj

if you need any help with it, give me a shout
    K10stat is great as for the 955 issue it sounds to me like its time for you to see how high you can get the HTT up to i got 4*400 on my crosshair II before i swapped boards out

yeah can confirm that only AOD can adjust the multi to get x16 but as im not altering the volts i guess i can live with that for a bit , thx for the help guys

just a little info , the V14 bios isnt stable with this chip anyway ,this is my guess as to why , it overvolts the NBvid to 1.525 with V13 its 1.1v . both run the cpu at stock speeds ok but at 3400mhz the V14 shuts down the pc within 1 min of prime95 but V13 is rock solid ,ran prime for 2 hours no problem with exact same settings ( just 200x17 with everything else stock ) temps are fine with the stock cooler at this and i cant go higher in the bios on the cpu volts( maxed out for 1.35 ) and dont want to use AOD to adjust them , so i guess 3.4 on stock volts is good enough for now , much better than the 6000+ anyhow got 22k in 3dmark 2005 with a very much stock 4850 ..

so if you are using the betav14 might be worth checking your NBvid .. the NBcore reports ok at 1.1 on both btw

AOD .. K10stat and i think phenom MSR tweaker reported the higher NB volts

Xtreme Enthusiast
    what about the Kn9-SLi?
    990FXA-UD3 | FX8350@4.7Ghz | Asus HD7870 | 2x 4GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2050Mhz 8-8-8-22 | AX850W |SSD Vertex3 Max IOPS 120GB | Auzentech Forte + TAPCO-S5

EK Supreme Full-Gold | XSPC RX240 + EX120 | MCP35x | 3x Koolance Blue Led @PWM | Tygon Black 1/2 | Bitspower Compression | @ FM CM690 I

no this thread is just about the abit ax78 board ,trying to get phenom II support etc. V14 beta is a beta bios for the ax78

ok these are my conclusions so far with a 955 be and the AX78 , after changing my cpu cooler for a thermalright true extreme , temps are now great btw 42c max at 3.4 ghz .

the cpu-nb vid adjustment in the bios does nothing ,the HT fid adjustment also does nothing , was getting a lot of bsod untill i set the NB vid with Kstat , that sorted that but still cant get a good stable 3.8ghz , can get through 3dmark 05 / 06 ok but not prime , it will just shut down after a while , pwm ?? , the highest i can get 100% stable is 3.6 but i do need 1.37v on the cpu for that ,3.7ghz @1.425v is ok for about an hour on prime then it shuts down . to raise the fsb yo have to use AOD again to lower the HT , i have had 250 fsb ok but not really done much on that . aswell as the board not allowing cpu mulitplier adjustment and setting the cpu-vid to 0.97 ( 200x4 cpu speed )

this is with V13 bios not the beta btw i havnt checked the cpu-nb vid adjustment ( i know it sets it to 1.525 v though )or HT fid on that one tbh

it was worth a shot to see if it would work and it probably would with a bios update , wouldnt clock that great though but i would get a little bit stable.

so now im trying to decide between a crosshair III or a GD70

edit just tried the beta bios again , it will adjust the HT multiplier but it doesnt adjust the cpu-nb volts which are at 1.5375v ( volts read by Kstat and p msr t and aod , cpu-nb volts are not in the bios monitoring section )
    Last edited by Welshmangt4; 06-28-2009 at 09:24 AM.

Banned
    as i said in an earlier post, this board will not overclock well, you experiance shut downs as the OCP/OVP kicks in, requiring you to unplug PSU, or leave it a minute or two till it resets,

on my 9850BE i could get 2800 mhz, on this chip, my 940BE i could get 3 gig stable, 3.2 would make the OCP/OVP kick in, now i have the M4A79, i can get 3.8 gig stable @ 1.45 volts.

and one last thing, the more it 'trips' the more frequent it will become, till you cant get anything other than stock, if your lucky

crosshair III would be my chioce, imature bios, but that will be sorted out soon enough

Last edited by soundood; 06-28-2009 at 05:58 PM.

its a pitty it trips out as i think i may have a pritty ok cpu

will run 3.6ghz stable though , just a royal pain in the arse having to use AOD everytime i start it , though usually like now it just runs at 800mhz lol

Banned
    its a pitty it trips out as i think i may have a pritty ok cpu

will run 3.6ghz stable though , just a royal pain in the arse having to use AOD everytime i start it , though usually like now it just runs at 800mhz lol

as much as it killed me, sometimes you just dont have a choice, i think if you have some cash handy, start having a look at some boards for this chip.

your in the same position i was in, ive got a not bad chip here, and it was being strangled in the AX78, retire it to a media centre or bench board.

as for bios update, i really dont think that is going to happen, i have heard nothing back from an email, not that surprised by that really

yeah might have a crosshair III here by friday hopefully and some amd spec ocz ddr3

just noticed my spec isnt that far off yours , both have ocz ddr , ocz 700 psu ( coincendence ? )

Banned
    yeah might have a crosshair III here by friday hopefully and some amd spec ocz ddr3

just noticed my spec isnt that far off yours , both have ocz ddr , ocz 700 psu ( coincendence ? )
    great minds think alike

i think the move from ASUS from Abit is a logical one to be honest, and with OCZ, i just have never had a problem with any of their kit, i have 8 gig of OCZ golds DDR2 800 mhz in my other rigs, and the 1066 set of platinums here,

and for me this PSU is a cracker, rated well over spec, and contains all the componants that are found in the 800 w version, just rated at 700w for some reason, and of course some cash cheaper

yeah still got a A7N8X delux running a 2800 @ 3200+ been that way for years lol had a asus 939 board but gave that away to my lad , he may if he's luck get a ax78 with a 6000+ next lol

was just going to order from overclockers.co .uk but actually im passing the place tomorrow in the lorry might get a 4890 too

Banned
    yeah still got a A7N8X delux running a 2800 @ 3200+ been that way for years lol had a asus 939 board but gave that away to my lad , he may if he's luck get a ax78 with a 6000+ next lol

was just going to order from overclockers.co .uk but actually im passing the place tomorrow in the lorry might get a 4890 too
    just got my Lian Li case from them, i had heard a lot of bad storys about RMA problems and such, but to be honest they where great with me, answered my emails in 2 hours, shipping perfect (it arrives 7.30 am next day)

im in GPU limbo as well, i was thinking of grabbing an ATI card but i cant stand the driver issues, my GTX 260 might become a PhysX card and get a single PCB 295 for Gaming, if you know what i mean.

we will see, let us know how the upgrade goes be interesting to see what you really can get out of that chip

on a side note: i had the Asus A8N32-SLI-Deluxe skt 939 board, loved it, but i pushed it tooo hard and it failed to boot one day, very sad day for me
    Last edited by soundood; 06-29-2009 at 02:18 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast