Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Last one, My Q6600 CPU Waterblock Roundup Results

Royal Administrator
    This thread has been added to the sticky "Liquid Cooling · Information/Guides & Reviews/Tests" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Shocker003 View Post
    I hope a mod will be man enough to put you name in as extreme legend.
    Martinm210 isn't even qualified for Xtreme Legend title, but is qualified for X.I.P.
    Last edited by Ashraf; 11-04-2008 at 06:40 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    I guess it's time to make a new title. Xtreme WC Legend.

Quote Originally Posted by أشرف View Post
    This thread has been added to the sticky "Liquid Cooling · Information/Guides & Reviews/Tests" thread.

Martinm210 isn't even qualified for Xtreme Legend title, but is qualified for X.I.P.
    Thanks for pushing me onto the right track, but give honor to whoever deservers it.
    X.I.P or Legend, it´s long over due.
    Deep in our heart of hearts, we all know he is a Watercooling Legend.
    Please what qualifies one as an Xtreme Legend?
    Last edited by Shocker003; 11-04-2008 at 06:58 AM.

MAIN RIG--:
    ASUS ROG Strix XG32VQ---:AMD Ryzen 7 5800X--Aquacomputer Cuplex Kryos NEXT--:ASUS Crosshair VIII HERO---
    32GB G-Skill AEGIS F4-3000C16S-8GISB --:MSI RADEON RX 6900 XT---:X-Fi Titanium HD modded
    Inter-Tech Coba Nitrox Nobility CN-800 NS 800W 80+ Silver--:Cyborg RAT 8--:Creative Sound BlasterX Vanguard K08

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    Pretty awesome finale, Martin. Also, it makes my Fuzion V1 look so old.
    i7 2700k 4.60ghz -- Z68XP-UD4 F6F -- Ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz -- 560 Ti 448 stock!? -- Liquid Cooling Apogee XT -- Claro+ ATH-M50s -- U2711 2560x1440
    Majestouch 87 Blue -- Choc Mini Brown -- Poker Red -- MX11900 -- G9

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Shocker003 View Post
    Thanks for pushing me onto the right track, but give honor to whoever deservers it.
    X.I.P or Legend, it´s long over due.
    Deep in our heart of hearts, we all know he is a Watercooling Legend.
    Please what qualifies one as an Xtreme Legend?
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=59056

It's more for overclocking than anything else. I'm sure he's still plenty happy with XIP. A feat that is most difficult to achieve.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Sticky!!!........<ftw>

Xtreme Addict
    Amazing work Martin! and fairly easy to come up with a answer too (at least with the q6600 processor in mind specifically), EK block for single waterblock systems and Fuzion V2 for single loop multiple block systems.

Banned
    Great extensive testing with great results. You outdid yourself just before you close the curtain on testing

From the results, I will sit on my Fuzion v2 since 1C is meaningless under my eyes. I will just remove the quad mid-plate from what I heard around (Andy tested it to perform worse than the stock mid-plate). Any cpu block we recommend to new WC users is a good choice and it will actually vary depending on the loop setup (From cpu-only loop with RD-30 to multi-blocks loop with a DDC3.1 for silence).

Another vote for Xtreme Legend !
    Last edited by Xilikon; 11-04-2008 at 08:15 AM.

Chasing After Diety
    see thats not the point.

what is the best?

whats defined as the best?

To me the best is defined as the best. The best meaning the greatest possible.

I hope you guys understand that now. There is no brand favortism on my end. I love the supreme, but i hate EK FC blocks. I wil praise and promote the supreme till no tomorrow, but i will bash and destory the FC blocks.

You guys really need to understand that. When i say something is the best, im doing it very objectively, not favoratively. So I hope this review my good friend martin shows you guys that when i say something is the best, i really do mean it.

Since no one around me is even thinkn of i7, i decided to go back to my thermal testing. I have my own ways outside of martin, there not as precise, but its accurate.

Ancient Korean Technique passed down by generations.

So when i come out with new predictions i hope you guys dont laugh at me again.
    Last edited by NaeKuh; 11-04-2008 at 08:56 AM.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post

So when i come out with new predictions i hope you guys dont laugh at me again.
    NAHH !

That will never happen = Now that u have told us all how to push yer button .....L O L !

Xtreme Member

Thanks Martin !

Thanks Martin for the countless hours of testing. How could anyone put up with 5 times 15 variations of cpu block mounts??? 75 variations just on the block comparisons alone! You did it, I know, cause you wanted to do it right! And as a result, EK has been vindicated in the eyes of many here.

When I started my first build, I poured over your site and XS looking for clues on how to do it right. Right now, I am looking at 28C idle on an overclocked phenom thanks to your tips, and a few from Waterlogged. I very much appreciate all your hard work.
    Last edited by Jazzman; 11-04-2008 at 09:53 AM.
    Phenom 9950BE (125w) 3.2 ghz| ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe | 4 Gig Corsair XMS2 (DDR2 800 Mhz) | NV 8800 GTS 512 (G92) | SATA2: 2-SGTE 350; 2-WD 250 | SeaSonic M12 SS-700HM| Apogee GTZ; MCP355; Feser 240 | Creative X-Fi Xtremegamer | VISTA 32-bit |

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    I was surprised how close the results are thermally, obviously we are coming to a barrier in thermal efficiency. More importantly these results only apply to this one processor, it would be different for dual core, or larger cores. Generally I think blocks that have very small center nozzles would do better from smaller processors and those with long spread-out type nozzles or distributed flow paths would do better with larger cores. Most people will likely see more gain by doubling up on their radiator capacity than changing out of CPU blocks. If the average radiator water/ambient delta is 10C, doubling the rads would be worth 5C which is greater than the difference between any block here. The differences are just pretty small...and frankly hard to even measure.

Also note the mounting mechanism differences. The old spring/open nut styles are not going to be as easy to use and ensure even mounting pressure as those that have some sort of bottoming nut or other design item that prevents the user from tightening one side or corner more than the others. Furthermore, some come with back-plates while others do not, you better plan on buying one for those that do not, it's essential in protecting your motherboard and a hidden cost.

Finally bowing and stepping do help with the last few bits of efficiency, although they also have some negatives. They work by increasing mounting pressure per unit area for the critical surface directly above the die. However they work against mounting consistency and are more difficult to mount because of this. Finally some may or may not be optimized or designed to cover larger or smaller cores. I like a small amount of bowing myself, it seems to work like camber in a bridge if nothing else and counter the flex of the block in high pressure applications.

Cheers!
    Martin
    I've known this very well since I stepped into this hobby, in fact I mention it quite often.

As for the rest I quoted, I absolutely agree and it should be required reading.

Thanks for the hard work...
    Asus G73- i7-740QM, Mobility 5870, 6Gb DDR3-1333, OCZ Vertex II 90Gb

Wow. Nice work, I'm impressed.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Awesome, as always. The neatly presented data doesn't nearly illustrate how much work must have gone into the testing.

Xtreme Addict
    Awesome work Martin! I really appreciate your effort. No more "product x is 4 degrees better than y!" they are all pretty close to each other. BTW, how thick is the ek surpreme fins+base?

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for your hard work

Hamster Powered
    Martin your dedication and quality to the art of watercooling will always be appreciated. You have given so much of your time and money to be able to bring us good solid testing techniques that are not questioned.

I will miss your reviews but I fully understand the toll it must have taken on you. I raise my glass to you and your skills.
    XSWCG Disclaimer:
    We are not responsible for the large sums of money that you WILL want to spend to upgrade and add additional equipment. This is an addiction and the forum takes no responsibility morally or financially for the equipment and therapy cost. Thank you and have a great day.

Sigmund Freud said... "Failure to CRUNCH is a sign of Sexual Inadequacies".

Xtreme Enthusiast
    thanks martin!
    My Lian Li G70
    Asus P6X58D-E * i7-930 * Saphire 7970 * 6GB Corsair XMS3 1600 C7 * Crucial M4 256GB SSD * Lian Li G70W Powdercoated
    Watercooled by single loop Coolgate Quad 120 + Swiftech MCR220 with San Aces H1011 * EK Supreme HF * Koolance VID-AR797 * EK Asus X58 full set * DDC 3.25 with EK Dual Top/Res

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Thanks guys!

No need for sticky, it's already in the reviews sticky. Anyhow, it's not like I'm vanishing all together, too many great folks in these forums. Nothing can take me away from getting my regular dosage of coffee or milk up the nose that I get here...too much fun!

Needless to say I'm not keeping just one block either, too many different types of processors out there and coming not to mention tweaks and nozzles and bowing, and everything else you can do to make them even better...

Cheers and have fun!!
    Martin

Xtreme Addict
    This testing, and what I know about i7, makes me think that Fragarach, shuold it ever see the light of day, would do well on both. Maybe not top three, but it should be capable of handling either.

Now if I could only cast one...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks Martin! Your honest results + meticulous documentation + sober analysis = huge resource for all of us!

Banned
    Martin,

what stock volts is that Q6600 of yours? Do you have the coolant temps for the GTX?

I'd like to work out some c/w numbers and compare to "published" numbers.
    Last edited by link1896; 11-05-2008 at 04:59 AM.

Xtreme Member
    This thread makes me feel much better.

I have an aquaextreme mp-05 pro and I was looking to see if there was anything new that'd blow it out of the water(no pun intended) for an upcoming i7 system.

Unlike air cooling where I see tons of 8c differences in reviews, among over a dozen blocks for the most part it's 3c differences, tops.. sometimes 1c.

It's good to know I don't have to go nuts with this.

I feel bad for wanting to buy a new block vs lapping this one(I'm not sure if my CPU is retarded or the nasty base is what causes the 8c difference among cores @ load OC'd), but with the price of a good condition block... I don't feel too bad at all.

I keep my radiator outside, it's so cold that 55c or 56.5c at load with the q6600 @ 1.65v won't make any difference to me.

Thanks for doing this.
    Quote Originally Posted by asus support
    Originally Posted by Asus Support
    Hello,

The tech support team, unfortunately, is not 'in the loop' regarding what, if any, changes are planned for any BIOS, for any board, so we can't say what, if anything may be done, or when it's released, nor does our engineering department have a point of contact for this type of query. All we can suggest if you own the board is to check the download page periodically to see what is available.

Regards,

Asus Support Team

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You rock! Thanks for all the testing

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    Quote Originally Posted by Thasp View Post
    This thread makes me feel much better.

I have an aquaextreme mp-05 pro and I was looking to see if there was anything new that'd blow it out of the water(no pun intended) for an upcoming i7 system.

Unlike air cooling where I see tons of 8c differences in reviews, among over a dozen blocks for the most part it's 3c differences, tops.. sometimes 1c.

It's good to know I don't have to go nuts with this.

I feel bad for wanting to buy a new block vs lapping this one(I'm not sure if my CPU is retarded or the nasty base is what causes the 8c difference among cores @ load OC'd), but with the price of a good condition block... I don't feel too bad at all.

I keep my radiator outside, it's so cold that 55c or 56.5c at load with the q6600 @ 1.65v won't make any difference to me.

Thanks for doing this.
    For reference, I read on here something that basically explained that such a high difference between cores is extremely unlikely... think about how close they are... how would the temps not equal out to pretty close to the same? It's the Intel sensors not being perfect, they are not designed to be perfect.

Lap the CPU!
    i7 2700k 4.60ghz -- Z68XP-UD4 F6F -- Ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz -- 560 Ti 448 stock!? -- Liquid Cooling Apogee XT -- Claro+ ATH-M50s -- U2711 2560x1440
    Majestouch 87 Blue -- Choc Mini Brown -- Poker Red -- MX11900 -- G9

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast