Page 11 of 119 FirstFirst ... 8910111213142161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Live MB OC Report :: ASUS Rampage Extreme

uncore challenged...
    Quote Originally Posted by rob2k View Post
    Just speculating about what can be done using the dual bios capability of this board.

I have flashed to 0403, I guess I can go in there (the bios) and change the bios chip that I boot from. Then flash that to 0404, have a play with that, then if I don't like it just go back in there and change back to boot from the 0403 bios chip which already has my good settings preserved.

Can anyone confirm this is possible ?.
    works like a charm...there are two physical BIOSs on the board. you don't even have to select from the BIOS which to boot to. you can choose which BIOS you boot from with the LCD Poster/TeakIt, or a jumper on the board
    Quote Originally Posted by bazx View Post
    any one what the clock generator is for setfsb on this m/b

thanks baz
    ICS9LPRS919BKL...HTH
    Last edited by 3oh6; 08-13-2008 at 12:34 PM.
    i don't quote in my signature, but best WR ever...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jor3lBR View Post
    It holds the current WR for the least vcore required to run 4500Mhz stable (1.32vcore)
    i can't even make that shyt up ^^^

Xtreme Enthusiast
    any one what the clock generator is for setfsb on this m/b

thanks baz
    ICS 9LPRS918JKLF

Quote Originally Posted by Nguaroth View Post
    Eternal fantasy: which backplate did you use for your Cpu block?

Do you think this ddr3 set Mushkin HP3-12800 4096 MB, PC3-12800, 1600 MHz, 8, Non-ECC, Kit Of 2 would be any good for this mobo?
    I used the one that came with the Asus Silent Square Pro CPU cooler, as it has the space to avoid the ML cap. I have no experience with the mushkin memory, and with the pickyness of this board reguarding memory I can't give you an answer.. 3oh6 seems to have a pair tho..

Quote Originally Posted by mr2sw21 View Post
    how come Idle use more V then load?
    Try googling "VDroop"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMK View Post
    Guys, just had a slightly worrying thing happen to me! I'd primed the RE through today @ 10x400 1.32v with mem 1600mhz 7-7-7-18 1.9v and no probs whatsoever. Just did it so easily, and i was pretty pleased... especially after the SIIE!

Anyhow, i shut down, and then when i switched on the PC it wouldnt boot - it just did the whole continual switch on or switch off thing, either that or all the lights came on and nothing happened. After much fiddling i got it working again, when I went into bios, it had changed the FSB to 433mhz, and my voltages to 1.9v vcore!!!! 2.4v NB, 1.5v Vdimm - they were all over the place, no wonder it wouldnt boot. Luckily no damage was done. After correcting the settings all back up and running fine.

This is on 0403 bios. Has anyone else experienced this - obviously this is a potentially serious issue.
    Can you update your sig so we know your latest setup? Also if you can post your "extreme tweaker" settings.

Quote Originally Posted by maxxx View Post
    Guys, is the G.Skill still the best memory (at the moment) for this motherboard?
    If you can't get CellShock DDR3-1800 Black then yeah I think G.Skills are your best bet. Corsair may be compatible too.. but not too many reports on it.

Quote Originally Posted by rob2k View Post
    Just speculating about what can be done using the dual bios capability of this board.

I have flashed to 0403, I guess I can go in there (the bios) and change the bios chip that I boot from. Then flash that to 0404, have a play with that, then if I don't like it just go back in there and change back to boot from the 0403 bios chip which already has my good settings preserved.

Can anyone confirm this is possible ?.
    Of course. The joys of BIOS flashback! Flash yourself out!

Quote Originally Posted by creidiki View Post
    We are a band of fearless modern-day alchemists who, for fun, run solutions through sophisticated, if overpriced, separator setups, and then complain when we succeed in separating said solution.

hmmz i can't use the back plate that comes with the block then i guess? because there is no hole in it? I'm having some real issue's to find a backplate that would be compatible here in belgium ><.

@3oh6 Do you think that these mushkin's will work on the mobo?

uncore challenged...
    @3oh6 Do you think that these mushkin's will work on the mobo?
    you'll have to be more specific, please list the whole part number when discussing memory.
    It holds the current WR for the least vcore required to run 4500Mhz stable (1.32vcore)

Quote Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
    you'll have to be more specific, please list the whole part number when discussing memory.
    Mushkin HP3-12800 4096 MB, PC3-12800, 1600 MHz, 8, Non-ECC, Kit Of 2

-100c Club Member
    eternal_fantasy= ICS 9LPRS918JKLF

3oh6= ICS9LPRS919BKL...HTH

hehe thanks lads atleast i am a little closer
    1. The first rule of Bench Club is, you do not talk about Bench Club
    2. The second rule of Bench Club is, you do not talk about Bench Club
    3. If someone says stop, goes limp, taps out, the the benching is over
    4. No bummers in the batcave, apart from unkie dave
    5. One Bench at a time
    6. No air, no water
    7. Benching will go on as long as they have to
    8. If this is your first night at Bench Club, you have to Bench

uncore challenged...
    Mushkin HP3-12800 4096 MB, PC3-12800, 1600 MHz, 8, Non-ECC, Kit Of 2
    it's hard to say. my Mushkin Ascent PC3-12800 2x2GB CL7 kit hates this board with a passion. i am assuming because it is Micron D9GTR/GTS based, which the RE clearly has issues with, even in 2x1GB flavor. it really is a load of crap that you have to "guess" which memory will work well on a $450 board. my advice, stay away from anything that hasn't been tested by someone here. with that said, the CL8 kit you are referring to is likely not Micron based, or the newer Micron ICs so it would likely have a better chance of running without issue than the higher end Ascent CL7 kit.

eternal_fantasy= ICS 9LPRS918JKLF

3oh6= ICS9LPRS919BKL...HTH

hehe thanks lads atleast i am a little closer
    it's SetFSB, they should both work fine

-100c Club Member
    cool thanks
    1. The first rule of Bench Club is, you do not talk about Bench Club
    2. The second rule of Bench Club is, you do not talk about Bench Club
    3. If someone says stop, goes limp, taps out, the the benching is over
    4. No bummers in the batcave, apart from unkie dave
    5. One Bench at a time
    6. No air, no water
    7. Benching will go on as long as they have to
    8. If this is your first night at Bench Club, you have to Bench

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal_fantasy View Post
    Can you update your sig so we know your latest setup? Also if you can post your "extreme tweaker" settings.
    Sig now updated.

Ive done some more investigation into the problem. I havnt had the issue with the voltages again, however whenever I shut down the PC, the nextime I switch it on it wont post. All the lights come on and nothing happens - if i clear cmos, and then reload my overclocked settings it works fine until the next time i switch the PC off - v. frustrating. Remember the settings below are 9hrs prime stable!

Settings are as follows:

ai overclock tuner: Manual
    OC CPU lvl up: auto
    OC Mem lvl up: auto
    FSB 400
    CPU Ratio: 10
    CPU Clock SKEW: auto
    NB Clock SKEW: auto
    PCI-E Freq: 100mhz
    Dram Freq: 1601mhz
    Command Rate: 2N
    Timing: Manual
    Primaries set 7-7-7-18, not tweaked sub timings yet, so they are all auto
    ai clock twister: Auto
    ai transaction booster: auto
    CPU II Phase Cntrl: Auto

Vcore: 1.325v
    LLC: Enabled
    CPU PLL: 1.55v
    VTT: 1.312v
    GTL 0: +40mv
    All other GTL's: Auto
    NB v: 1.40497v
    Vdimm: 1.908v
    ND DDR vref + Channel refs are all auto
    SB 1.5: 1.51106
    SB 1.05: 1.06039
    All spread spectrums: Disabled.

Any ideas? I cant verify exact voltages with the exception of the vcore as everest isnt picking up either voltages or temps for anything other than the CPU, and PC Probe II reads massively incorrectly (temps at 255 degrees apparently, and voltages at 67v!!! LOL!)

Which also leads me to the question, can anyone post read points for this board so I can set my DMM onto it?
    System Specs:
    Core i7 2600k
    Asus Maximus V Gene
    4x2gb G-Skill Ripjaw 2133mhz
    MSI Radeon R9 290X
    Asus Xonar Essence STX
    2x Crucial M4 256gb RAID 0
    Seagate 7200.12 3TB HDD
    Corsair AX860i.

Watercooling Specs
    EK Supreme HF, XSPC EX360, XSPC EX240, DDC Ultra w/aquacomputer top, Aqualis XT res, Kryographics 290X GPU block

uncore challenged...
    I havnt had the issue with the voltages again, however whenever I shut down the PC, the nextime I switch it on it wont post. All the lights come on and nothing happens - if i clear cmos, and then reload my overclocked settings it works fine until the next time i switch the PC off - v. frustrating.
    this i have encountered. with my Micron D9GTS or D9GTR, it is stable as a rock as certain settings, but sometimes i won't get POST. sometimes i get the startup/shutdown cycle, sometimes i just get weird POSTs and have gotten a couple corrupt BIOSs for no reason.

with the G.Skill Pi 2x2GB kit, never happens.

i am leaning on memory issues. i have been able to bypass having to clear CMOS and load settings with just taking one stick out, POSTing, turning off, installing 2nd stick again. sounds stoopid but is usually works

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Settings are as follows:

ai overclock tuner: Manual
    OC CPU lvl up: auto
    OC Mem lvl up: auto
    FSB 400
    CPU Ratio: 10
    CPU Clock SKEW: auto
    NB Clock SKEW: auto
    PCI-E Freq: 100mhz
    Dram Freq: 1601mhz
    Command Rate: 2N
    Timing: Manual
    Primaries set 7-7-7-18, not tweaked sub timings yet, so they are all auto
    ai clock twister: Auto - I'm sure setting at normal will give better results
    ai transaction booster: auto - try 6
    CPU II Phase Cntrl: Auto

Vcore: 1.325v - nice CPU! I need around 1.42 for 4Ghz..
    LLC: Enabled
    CPU PLL: 1.55v - leave this at 1.50, you don't need to raise it at your clocks.
    VTT: 1.312v
    GTL 0: +40mv - does that actually improve stability?
    All other GTL's: Auto
    NB v: 1.40497v - I would raise that to 1.45-1.50V, NOTE BELOW
    Vdimm: 1.908v
    ND DDR vref + Channel refs are all auto
    SB 1.5: 1.51106
    SB 1.05: 1.06039
    All spread spectrums: Disabled.
    I think I may know what the problem is. I had similer problems when I watercooled via the Fusion block, and when raising the VMCH to over 1.6V, the system wouldn't boot. Whereas when I used my own waterblock, it boots fine at 1.75V+. I think when you try and restart your NB is too hot, and it don't like to be hot when booting, but it's fine once you enter windows. If you can try and aim a powerful fan on the NB area when the system is off, and see if you can get it to turn on.

Any ideas? I cant verify exact voltages with the exception of the vcore as everest isnt picking up either voltages or temps for anything other than the CPU, and PC Probe II reads massively incorrectly (temps at 255 degrees apparently, and voltages at 67v!!! LOL!)
    That sometime means something is overheating or unstable, or similer to when the motherboard doesn't like the clock settings and you lose CPU cores...

Quote Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
    this i have encountered. with my Micron D9GTS or D9GTR, it is stable as a rock as certain settings, but sometimes i won't get POST. sometimes i get the startup/shutdown cycle, sometimes i just get weird POSTs and have gotten a couple corrupt BIOSs for no reason.

with the G.Skill Pi 2x2GB kit, never happens.

i am leaning on memory issues. i have been able to bypass having to clear CMOS and load settings with just taking one stick out, POSTing, turning off, installing 2nd stick again. sounds stoopid but is usually works
    My CellShock D9GTR sticks are the most compatible sticks I've used, and no such problem as you've described, responsive to voltage, POST fine on restart. Corrupt BIOSes? which sticks are you using? I didn't even know memory can corrupt BIOS! No startup/shutdown cycle, that only happened on the 0404 BIOS, of which NONE of my 4 pairs of DDR3 memory work at it's rated speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by creidiki View Post
    We are a band of fearless modern-day alchemists who, for fun, run solutions through sophisticated, if overpriced, separator setups, and then complain when we succeed in separating said solution.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the help guys. I'll raise the NB a notch and see what that does. I'll also play with the mem. BTW, what is ai transaction booster exactly? Is it performance lvl by a different name, or something completely different?

Ive started tweaking the mem to get around 1800mhz stable so i can run around 450x9 rather than 400x10. Not sure if that will help the problem.

Oh, and I agree about the temps. For all the fancy cooling on this board it doesnt do a great job. I noticed it was getting high and this evening I spent some time taking the cooling off, cleaning it up and applying MX2 on everything. Im still getting around 50-55 degrees on the NB by the looks of it. I dont think it will be too long before I switch to water. I have everything I need here, appart form maybe a HSF for the SB.

As for PC probe, I think its just misreading the sensors. I have had the LCD poster displaying temps and voltages at different times to compare, and they read completely differently (i.e. they are normal!) to what PC probe is saying. Everest seems to read the board as a rampage/Maximus which might be why that isnt reporting the correct info.

Regarding the GTL, yeah, it does help. I have one core significantly weaker than the other 3, and just adjusting that GTL a touch seems to sort it out. Ive had the same thing with this CPU in other boards too, and it saves me from shoving more vcore through the CPU than it really needs.
    System Specs:
    Core i7 2600k
    Asus Maximus V Gene
    4x2gb G-Skill Ripjaw 2133mhz
    MSI Radeon R9 290X
    Asus Xonar Essence STX
    2x Crucial M4 256gb RAID 0
    Seagate 7200.12 3TB HDD
    Corsair AX860i.

Watercooling Specs
    EK Supreme HF, XSPC EX360, XSPC EX240, DDC Ultra w/aquacomputer top, Aqualis XT res, Kryographics 290X GPU block

Question

Well this was an extremely informative thread - very helpful for an Asus Rampage Extreme hopefull (waiting for it to be readily available in Canada). Getting ready to buy/build the new system the second it hits the shelf.

Now - reading over all these posts I realized something I hadn't fully considered - RAM compatibility - with everything you guys have been through has a concensus been reached on which RAM is compatible and which is not? The last thing I want to do is spend $400 (CDN) and get bad RAM that goes with it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - like a top #3 proven working RAM or something :)

Thanks,

Xtreme Member
    Spent a few hours tweaking now trying to run at 425x9.5 but can't get Prime blend to run for more than 60 seconds but no BSOD's under normal use (surfting, itunes, etc) - think i'm missing a vital setting that this board needs. Have dropped the multiplier to 8 to eliminate CPU issues and mem timing is loose at 9-9-9-28. Will post what I have later tonight but from memory I have tried Vcore is 1.375-1.395, LLC-DIS, VMCH 1.48-1.55, VTT 1.3, PLL 1.5 , VDIMM 1.94.

Will try EF's comments in red on Mike's earlier post tonight to see if that helps - thanks for those.

What is the common setting for DRAM Static Read Control, DRAM Dynamic Write Control and LLC ?

MikeMK - how did you discover the weak core and what GTL value was needed to correct it ?.

Found the most informative review of this board so far over here :-
    http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews.p..._motherboard/1
    My rig :-
    CPU: QX9770-C1 @ 4038MHz.
    GPU: XFX GTX280 XT O/C. Audio: Creative X-Fi Elite Pro.
    MEM: Corsair Dominator 2x1Gb TWIN3X2048-1800C7DFIN G @ 7-7-7-20 1T 1901MHz.
    DRIVES: Samsung F1 1TB & 2x500Gb Hitachi SATA 2.
    2xSamsung 20xDVD-RW SATA.
    O/S: Vista Ultimate 32bit SP1.
    M/B: Asus Rampage Extreme. Bios : 1003.
    PSU: Enermax Infinity 720w (waiting for Enermax Revolution 1050w).
    CASE: CM Cosmos S RC-1100 v2.
    LOOP 1: <- Black Ice Stealth 360 -> EK Multi-Opt 150 Rev2 -> Swiftech MCP655 -> Swiftech Apogee GTZ -> EK NB SMAX -> : Tygon R3603 tubing and EK barbs all 1/2in ID.

24/7 SETTINGS : FSB 475, Ratio x8.5, Strap 333, DRAM 1901 @ 2.06v, CPUv 1.47, LLC DIS, GTLs +40+40+40+40 NB +60, PLLv 1.59, VTT 1.40, NBv 1.59, SB1.5 1.58, SB1.05 1.10

@3oh6 ok i gues ill try them out. But whats the isseu you have with the ram then? it just won't boot?

Xtreme Member
    hmmz i can't use the back plate that comes with the block then i guess? because there is no hole in it? I'm having some real issue's to find a backplate that would be compatible here in belgium ><.
    You could always cut your own hole in it with something like a dremel.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockqc View Post
    You could always cut your own hole in it with something like a dremel.
    I used a drill and some tinsnips
    GA-EX58-UD3R rev 1.6[/COLOR]
    6gb Patriot DDR3 @ 1333mhz
    166 QPI Core i7 920 @ 3.33ghz
    4 X 80gb Veloci Raptors in Raid 0
    Creative Xfi Fatal1ty
    2 Sapphire 4870s in Crossfire
    Dell 3007 WFP
    Cooler Master Real Power Pro 1000watt PSU
    Lian Li PC-A10B
    Air Cooled by Noctua

My Rampage and Cellshock 1800 d9gtr. x48 Air-cooled

Last edited by Kimi.Rk; 08-14-2008 at 06:48 AM.
    MY System
    M.B Asus P8P67 Deluxe
    Ram G.Skill 2133 CL8
    Cpu Intel Core i7 2600k
    Psu Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800
    Vga Zotac GTX 480
    HD 2x Ocz Vertex 2 E Raid 0

Quote Originally Posted by Kimi.Rk View Post
    My Rampage and Cellshock 1800 d9gtr. x48 Air-cooled

which air cooler are you using? Is that clock for using 24/7 ? cuse thats quite high

which air cooler are you using? Is that clock for using 24/7 ? cuse thats quite high
    cpu cooled to liquid, x48 cooled to air stock cooling, strap 333, performance level 6
    MY System
    M.B Asus P8P67 Deluxe
    Ram G.Skill 2133 CL8
    Cpu Intel Core i7 2600k
    Vga Zotac GTX 480

Xtreme Enthusiast
    This is my 24/7 for now.

[SIGPIC]http://techsweden.org[/SIGPIC]
    Gigabyte Z87X-OC, Haswell 4770K, 8GB Team Group 2666mhz, Asus HD7970

[QUOTE=Turbodream;3217258]This is my 24/7 for now.

[QUOTE]My ex p5e364ws Evolution e cellshock 1800 d9gtr strap 266 pl6

MY System
    M.B Asus P8P67 Deluxe
    Ram G.Skill 2133 CL8
    Cpu Intel Core i7 2600k
    Vga Zotac GTX 480

My ex Foxconn Blackops strap 333 pl7 and cellshock 1800 d9gtr

MY System
    M.B Asus P8P67 Deluxe
    Ram G.Skill 2133 CL8
    Cpu Intel Core i7 2600k
    Vga Zotac GTX 480

Xtreme Member
    [QUOTE=Kimi.Rk;3217580][QUOTE=Turbodream;3217258]This is my 24/7 for now.

My ex p5e364ws Evolution e cellshock 1800 d9gtr strap 266 pl6

well done on that Evo.
    When I try these settings I get anotther D4 code... :/
    Last edited by ToyTen; 08-14-2008 at 10:28 AM.

[QUOTE=ToyTen;3217607][QUOTE=Kimi.Rk;3217580]
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbodream View Post
    This is my 24/7 for now.

well done on that Evo.
    evolution is a big mother card but rampage extreme with new creed bios are better according to me. Does your d4 depend give her ram? Excuse my English
    MY System
    M.B Asus P8P67 Deluxe
    Ram G.Skill 2133 CL8
    Cpu Intel Core i7 2600k
    Vga Zotac GTX 480

Page 11 of 119 FirstFirst ... 8910111213142161111 ... LastLast