Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AMD: Six-core Istanbul server CPUs moved up to May

Xtreme Member
    How about 32nm Phenom II X6 compatible with AM3 socket?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    Is the memory controller on this hex-core DDR2/DDR3 like the current AM3 Phenoms? I'd love this to be backwards compatible to AM2+. I just built this system in January and would like an upgrade path to 4+ cores, instead of only 4. Why? Just for E-peen. My system doesn't even have to be upgraded for 3 years, but I'm a member of XS which means I do things in EXCESS!
    Core i7 2600K@4.6Ghz| 16GB G.Skill@2133Mhz 9-11-10-28-38 1.65v| ASUS P8Z77-V PRO | Corsair 750i PSU | ASUS GTX 980 OC | Xonar DSX | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB |A bunch of HDDs and terabytes | Oculus Rift w/ touch | ASUS 24" 144Hz G-sync monitor

Quote Originally Posted by phelan1777 View Post
    Hail fellow warrior albeit a surat Mercenary. I Hail to you from the Clans, Ghost Bear that is (Yes freebirth we still do and shall always view mercenaries with great disdain!) I have long been an honorable warrior of the mighty Warden Clan Ghost Bear the honorable Bekker surname. I salute your tenacity to show your freebirth sibkin their ignorance!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duploxxx View Post
    not sure where you got this roadmap from, but i am afraid that it is no longer correct, actually from 08/2008 this was already wrong, i think this screenshot is dated from begin 2008.

there are way more differences in specs. To my opinion this is no longer the same die, but Magny-cours- sao paulo do fit together as a die.
    This is the roadmap which anounces the Fiorano platform which was in
    the middle of August 2008

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/IT-Infrastr...m-Due-in-2009/

Istanbul in this road map is the same six-core die as Sao Paolo but with
    some new features disabled. Some of these features have been demonstrated
    working already such as the probe filter which is now also included in the
    Istanbul to be released in May,

Sao Paolo is one die with six cores in a 1974 pin G34 package.
    Magny Cours is 2 interconnected Sao Paulo dies in a G34 package

it's 2/8000 series but would love to see a FX from this

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Cruncher
    AMD webcast said that AMD is already demonstrating (live!) Magny-Cours system to the interested parties.This is amazing news since G34 and MCM is practically done deal and sampling with partners in Q4 with product launch in Q1 2010! Also,they mentioned the "Interlagos" CPU which is a Bulldozer core(12-16 cores on 32nm).Also mentioned is a so called segmentation of sockets with G34 being the socket for high perf. 2P-4P(8-16 cores per socket,45nm and 32nm with both present and future uarch. supported) while C32 socket is for energy efficient 1P-2P systems (4-8 cores per socket,45nm and 32nm with both present and future uarch. supported).

I will post some screenshots from the webcast.For now ,a real die shot of Istanbul may serve as a teaser :
    Last edited by informal; 04-22-2009 at 10:22 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    I wonder how it will compare to i7 w/HT in a crunching environment. That's what I'm most interested in. I feel the addiction of crunch coming on and I'll be needing the best bang-for-your-buck CPU's.

For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.

Xtreme Member
    More slides here:

http://www.pcper.com/comments.php?nid=7062

And this little gem was near the end. AMD is very bullish about the performance of the Bulldozer architecture that they will introduce in 2011. Note the faded line, as they are not entirely sure where it will end up... but they believe that it will be very competitive to what Intel has at that time. Note that "Interllagos" is a 16 core product.
    Faceman

Xtreme Cruncher
    The pic of Magny-Cours CPU that's being also demoed today!

Planned DCA roadmap for 2010:

Projected improvement for Magny-Cours over 2009 Istanbul :

Improvements to AMD-V and AMD-P in 2010:

A 2010 Maranello(G34) and San Marino(C32) platforms supporting next gen BD cores(apart from supporting Sao Paolo and Magny-Cours):

Bulldozer is scheduled for Q1 2011 launch(servers and desktop) with projected int improvement of 1.35-1.4x over Shanghai.Core count will be in range of 12-16 for G34 platform(6000 series) and 4-8 for C32(4000 series).Here is the projected speed increase over Magny Cours(12 cores).AMD predicts the jump from Magny Cours to Bulldozer based "Interlagos" cores will be as substantial(or even bigger) than a jump from Istanbul to Magny Cours,relatively speaking:

Last slide is self explanatory (Q1 '01 launch for Maranello platform ):

So Sao Paolo = 2 Shanghai MCM, Magny Cours = 2 Istanbul MCM?

Xtreme Member
    12 Core MCM ship sampling already? Thats pretty impressive.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by lockee View Post
    So Sao Paolo = 2 Shanghai MCM, Magny Cours = 2 Istanbul MCM?
    I think that Sao Paolo=Istanbul for G34 while Magny-Cours will have from 8 to 12 cores as can be seen below:

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    I think that Sao Paolo=Istanbul for G34 while Magny-Cours will have from 8 to 12 cores as can be seen below:
    Sao Paulo seems to have disappeared as a codename somehow...
    There's now Interlagos instead, the F1 circuit in Sao Paulo.

Regards, Hans.
    Last edited by Hans de Vries; 04-22-2009 at 12:23 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yep,but new stuff is that "Interlagos" is now a BD based MPU and done on 32nm while featuring up to 16 cores(we have no frequency targets but we have a rough estimate about throughput performance(i guess spec rate tests) from here;this is user generated chart on the basis of the official chart):

Note in the chart the increase in spec_int rate(?) is a lot higher(~190) when compared to Shanghai model at ~113 giving us ~1.7x increase ,while spec fp rate(?) is 1.38x better than in Shanghai's case(memory bw limited maybe?).

Also,we now have a Cinebench10 x64 (yuk ) score for Istanbul ,running side by side with Shanghai 2P system and running within the same power envelope as Shanghai system so I guess it's 2.4Ghz and 75W rated ES part compared to 2.7Ghz 75W Shanghais in the second system:

Direct linky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDdvZkBo4JE

2P 2.4Ghz or 2.5Ghz(estimated to fit in 75W ACP envelope) Istanbul scores 25863(34s)
    2P 2.7Ghz(75W ACP envelope,since we know it is 2.7Ghz by looking here) scores 18619(47s)

The net result is 38% better performance with ~12 or 8% lower clock speed,depending if the 75W ACP ES Istanbul models were running at 2.4Ghz or 2.5Ghz.This translates to linear speed increase of 1.5-1.56 over the same clock Quad Core Shanghai system which is expected since it has exactly 50% more cores.
    Last edited by informal; 04-22-2009 at 01:13 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    16 cores on a 32nm processor, already??? Wow!!!

Would we also be seeing 16 cores on desktop CPU's? I mean, not only for servers, right?

--two awesome rigs, wildly customized with
    5.1 Sony speakers, Stereo 3D, UV Tourmaline Confexia, Flame Bl00dr4g3 Fatal1ty
    --SONY GDM-FW900 24" widescreen CRT, overclocked to:
    2560x1600 resolution at 68Hz!(from 2304x1440@80Hz)

Updated List of Video Card GPU Voodoopower Ratings!!!!!

Xtreme Addict
    Yep,but new stuff is that "Interlagos" is now a BD based MPU and done on 32nm while featuring up to 16 cores(we have no frequency targets but we have a rough estimate about throughput performance(i guess spec rate tests) from here;this is user generated chart on the basis of the official chart):

Note in the chart the increase in spec_int rate(?) is a lot higher(~190) when compared to Shanghai model at ~113 giving us ~1.7x increase ,while spec fp rate(?) is 1.38x better than in Shanghai's case(memory bw limited maybe?).

Also,we now have a Cinebench10 x64 (yuk ) score for Istanbul ,running side by side with Shanghai 2P system and running within the same power envelope as Shanghai system so I guess it's 2.4Ghz and 75W rated ES part compared to 2.7Ghz 75W Shanghais in the second system:

Direct linky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDdvZkBo4JE

2P 2.4Ghz or 2.5Ghz(estimated to fit in 75W ACP envelope) Istanbul scores 25863(34s)
    2P 2.7Ghz(75W ACP envelope,since we know it is 2.7Ghz by looking here) scores 18619(47s)

The net result is 38% better performance with ~12 or 8% lower clock speed,depending if the 75W ACP ES Istanbul models were running at 2.4Ghz or 2.5Ghz.This translates to linear speed increase of 1.5-1.56 over the same clock Quad Core Shanghai system which is expected since it has exactly 50% more cores.
    look at the demo again @1min17sec he states that they run identical speed and thermal enveloppe

if they go the MCM way it is clear that a magny 8 core is a double 4 core lisbon and same for the 6-12 mcm
    Last edited by duploxxx; 04-22-2009 at 01:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Fanboyitis..
    Comes in two variations and both deadly.
    There's the green strain and the blue strain on CPU.. There's the red strain and the green strain on GPU..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Nice to see AMD executing. This is what we all like to see: competition.

Xtreme Cruncher
    look at the demo again @1min17sec he states that they run identical speed and thermal enveloppe
    Look at the score of the Shanghai system(18619 pts).It is the score that only a 2.7Ghz 2P Shanghai can produce as can be seen in the techreport link here.
    If you imply that AMD managed to squeeze out 2.7Ghz from a six core Istanbul and still fit it in 75W then i must disagree(common logic at work).Plus the score would be roughly 1.5x better than the SHanghai score if they were running at the exact same clocks and wouldn't be 1.38x better(which fits perfectly with 8-12% lower clocks on Istanbul).

Maybe Ron Myers made a mistake and said that while he meant same power envelope(which he stated several times during a demo).

Xtreme Mentor
    Look at the score of the Shanghai system(18619 pts).It is the score that only a 2.7Ghz 2P Shanghai can produce as can be seen in the techreport link here.
    If you imply that AMD managed to squeeze out 2.7Ghz from a six core Istanbul and still fit it in 75W then i must disagree(common logic at work).Plus the score would be roughly 1.5x better than the SHanghai score if they were running at the exact same clocks and wouldn't be 1.38x better(which fits perfectly with 8-12% lower clocks on Istanbul).

Maybe Ron Myers made a mistake and said that while he meant same power envelope(which he stated several times during a demo).
    At the end of the demo it says 2x2.6GHz Opteron 2382.
    I believe AMD squeezed 2.6GHz Istanbul into 75W ACP.
    Cinebench scaling is not linear by any means and 1.38x from 50% more cores is absolutely spot on with what I would expect. Remember that core improvements are mostly for bandwidth intense scenarios. Cinema4D is far from bandwidth hungry application, what counts there is pure math processing.

If 2.6GHz is under 75W then 2.9-3.0GHz Istanbul within 105W ACP should be possible very soon. Give AMD 2-3 months to stock pile better cores before release.
    RiG1: Ryzen 7 1700 @4.0GHz 1.39V, Asus X370 Prime, G.Skill RipJaws 2x8GB 3200MHz CL14 Samsung B-die, TuL Vega 56 Stock, Samsung SS805 100GB SLC SDD (OS Drive) + 512GB Evo 850 SSD (2nd OS Drive) + 3TB Seagate + 1TB Seagate, BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W

RiG2: HTPC AMD A10-7850K APU, 2x8GB Kingstone HyperX 2400C12, AsRock FM2A88M Extreme4+, 128GB SSD + 640GB Samsung 7200, LG Blu-ray Recorder, Thermaltake BACH, Hiper 4M880 880W PSU

SmartPhone Samsung Galaxy S7 EDGE
    XBONE paired with 55'' Samsung LED 3D TV

Xtreme Cruncher
    Thanks Lightman,2.6Ghz it is then.Probably a bit better score on thse than techreport managed with 8384s back in the day.
    If 2.6Ghz Istanbul fits in 75W ACP envelope than,as you said,105W envelope can bring as high as 2.9Ghz SKUs.Quite an achievement

Xtreme Addict
    That 12 core Magny-cours should be a 600mm2 monster
    Istanbul should be arround 300mm2.

Anyway AMD is ramping more cores and more clock at a good rhythm. If they started this 6 months earlier.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    And AMD is only a CPU manufactor due to stolen technology and making clones.

Banned
    Bulldozer seems meh
    Note the faded line, as they are not entirely sure where it will end up...
    Hope so, cause until the faded part the numbers are less then stellar.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleZero View Post
    Bulldozer seems meh

Hope so, cause until the faded part the numbers are less then stellar.
    Actually the numbers are quite good,given the fact we have no frequency target projection for BD cores.But all this is "projected" so we will have to wait and see.

Before BD arrives,a picture of a socket G34 server running 48 cores in 4P configuration(a Magny-Cours in action ):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/amd_unp...7617192384144/

48 real cores in task manager ,looks like povray is running in background.

Xtreme Addict
    Holy **** in every aspect faster (timeline) and better (CPUs) than I thought.

Looks like AMD's been much more smoother with silicon lately. Shanghai pulled ahead, Istanbul launching much sooner, Magny Cores launching in Q1 instead of a vague 1H 2010.

Oh, and the new platform is even sexier. Crossgrades FTW.

Now that there is no more seperate 1-socket Opteron platform, 2P CPUs should come close/closer to 1P prices, which was supposed to be the way it is since Gainestown pricing is also rather cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by radaja View Post
    so are they launching BD soon or a comic book?

Xtreme Cruncher
    "Dark Major" wasn't kidding when he said AMD was about to do some major regrouping inside the company^^ .They are indeed firing on all cylinders.Ahh,just look at that task manager hehe .

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Macadamia View Post
    Oh, and the new platform is even sexier. Crossgrades FTW.
    What is that .
    E8400 @ 4.0 | ASUS P5Q-E P45 | 4GB Mushkin Redline DDR2-1000 | WD SE16 640GB | HD4870 ASUS Top | Antec 300 | Noctua & Thermalright Cool
    Windows 7 Professional x64

Vista & Seven Tweaks, Tips, and Tutorials: http://www.vistax64.com/

Game's running choppy? See: http://www.tweakguides.com/

Istanbul is running at 2.6GHz here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDdvZkBo4JE

edit; already posted above

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast